PDA

View Full Version : SM5 vs SE5

wolfeman220940
01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
I am looking to buy a ST-S but, I do not know witch Transmission it get. Is the SE5 worth the $1,800? Why? Is there more maintenance that needs to be done on the SE5 system? I test drove two different RS-S units one with SM5 and SE5. Has there been any major trouble with the SE5 System? I guess I need more time test them :)

ARtraveler
01-06-2013, 08:18 PM
You are going to find differing opinions on the subject. I have had one SM5 and three SE5's. My current preference is for the SE5. I don't miss the foot shifting or the clutching. Had some problems with arthritis so that became an issue for me this last year.

I don't believe there are any performance issues or mileage issues comparing one type transmission to the other. There have been some mechanical issues with SE5's, but the only one I have experienced in over 50K miles is the shift linkage became disconnected one time last summer.

The SE5 configuration also helped me get some others interested in learning to drive the :spyder2:

Is it worth the $1,800? Yes, if you want a semi-auto. It's probably over priced--but it is what it is.

Hope this helps some.

JKMSPYDER
01-06-2013, 08:39 PM
I just picked up my new ST-S yesterday from the dealer. It has the SE-5 transmission and I love it! No hand cramps with a clutch and no foot shifter . But the difference between semi- auto and manual is convenience and price. Haven't heard of any major differences with trouble or maintenance issues of one vs the other.

Bryk
01-06-2013, 09:05 PM
I ordered a manual ST because I feel that the semi automatic takes away too much of the feel away from the ride. Maybe someday I'll want the ease of it, but that day won't be any day soon.
:)

SPYD3R
01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
@ age 65, i'm all done shifting... give me the SE5 any day...

otter28169
01-06-2013, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't mind the SE5, but I couldn't fathom the extra cash to get it. Learning a motorcycle type transmission on a bike can be a daunting task, but I did that years ago on dirt bikes. My wife is thinking about getting one now, and will probably get the SM5 as the SUV she drives is a manual transmission and I do not see her having any trouble learning on the spyder. I will have her driving on ours, and if she doesn't like it she will have an SE5. Whatever it takes to get her ryding.
nojoke

Sarge707
01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
I have the SE5 for 24,000 Miles on the Yellow GS and the SM on the New RT Below!
The only negative to the SM for me is the initial clutch engagement off the line Sooo If 0-60 times are a Must for you I would choose the SE5 ! If thats Not a "Must Have?" I would do the Manual and feel more of the ride experience?:dontknow:

mick ruhdorf
01-06-2013, 10:53 PM
hi i have a 2012 RS SM5 i bought a manual for two reasons 1 price the manual was 2 grand cheaper 2 i like to be in control of my gears the auto is ok going up the gears but the downshifts (the automatic ones) can catch you out say on entering a roundabout so it was a manual for me but its up to the individual so good luck.
cheers mick :doorag:

JaymeG33
01-06-2013, 11:39 PM
I test drove a SE5 & a SM5 when I took out the demo's. I found the SM5 to be better suited for me because the SE5 actually bothered my wrist & thumb since I type all day (I probably have some medical condition going on lol). So for me, it was the SM5 & probably always will be. I love the shifting & grabbing gears. Also, I like the fact that I can down shift & it pulls the engine back where when I tried that with the SE5, it hardly made a difference. I hope that made sense.

boborgera
01-07-2013, 12:02 AM
I am looking to buy a ST-S but, I do not know witch Transmission it get. Is the SE5 worth the $1,800? Why? Is there more maintenance that needs to be done on the SE5 system? I test drove two different RS-S units one with SM5 and SE5. Has there been any major trouble with the SE5 System? I guess I need more time test them :)

If you prefer shifting yourself then it isn't worth the 1,800.
If you don't prefer shifting yourself then it is worth the 1,800. :dontknow:

r1100rider
01-07-2013, 12:55 AM
If you are riding mostly city the se open road sm all the way the se has more parts and more filters it blocks the cooler on the left side and is hotter on the feet and it has had way more posts with problems so less to go wrong with the sm so there is more price to pay than just the 1800

wolfeman220940
01-07-2013, 01:25 AM
I am mainly going to be use the STS for my 65 mile Commute. And a few weekend trips :)

Bryk
01-07-2013, 07:24 AM
If you are riding mostly city the se open road sm all the way the se has more parts and more filters it blocks the cooler on the left side and is hotter on the feet and it has had way more posts with problems so less to go wrong with the sm so there is more price to pay than just the 1800

That, in my opinion sums it up. For me, I would have definitely considered the SE more if I had to ride in traffic/city. I leave for work early in the morning, and leave in the afternoon before the traffic gets bad. I want the "feel"/control of the manual.

So is your commute highway? congested or typically clear? That may make your mind up for you if you aren't strongly opinionated (like you seem you aren't about this topic).

Best you can do is test ride both.

Bob Denman
01-07-2013, 07:38 AM
I think if you take the "ESSIE", you'll also get the floorboards...
THAT tips the scales towards thumbshifting! :thumbup:

mcaccamise
01-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Sports cars or sport bikes i lean tward the manual for me its more exhilerating to bang the gears and shift when you decide to the auto shift doesent get it for me takes all the fun out of riding a sport machine.

NancysToy
01-07-2013, 09:13 AM
I do the SM because I also still have my bikes, and I have enough things to remember without needing to think about where the shifter is. That especially makes sense when you realize that my BMW RT turn signal is in that location. Nancy got the SM because it allowed her to get a Spyder months quicker...before the SEs were introduced. She is thinking about an ST in the SE5 version now. Likes the footboards, but doesn't like having the shift mechanism in the way of her hand. It was uncomfortable for me, too. I guess we just naturally lay our hands up against the control pods when we ride.

revjvegas
01-07-2013, 09:18 AM
When I bought mine, I made it clear to the dealer that I just did not see the point in paying $$$ for the SE, so it had to be SM and Red.
Being I was ready to buy, already credit approved, and they had two SE's in stock only, they made a deal and cut the price down and also gave me a deal on some accessories I bought.

So I gotta say, now that I have the SE, I do really like it. I've done my time on a BMW, and I still have it and ride it when I want to ride a leaner with a clutch, so that's my option. :D