PDA

View Full Version : 201 RT-L Dash Turn Signla Indicator Visibilty

Bob Ledford
01-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Living in the Sunshine State and riding during a normal sunny day I have extreme difficulty in seeing that tiny light green dash indicator light. Is it me or is it a real problem? If it is has anyone stumbled on a solution to make it more visible yet?

For several months I was riding aound not knowing my LH TS was not working as most of my riding is during the bright daylight hours. I sort of solved the problem this Christmas as the Spyder got ESI front fender mudflap lights for it and the front light conversion so now I have two bright red flashing lights.

Next question is how many of us are waiting for BRP To ship replacement turn signal switches I was finally told by my servicing dealer that they were promised new switches by the end of January which wil make 4 months for me.

Bob Denman
01-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Hi Bob!
I just got done with this little mod to mine...
There's a thread in the "RT shop Talk" section floating around about it. :2thumbs:

Blue Star
01-06-2013, 04:34 PM
This is what I did. Got it at Pep Boys, and really easy to do. 59593

Spyderific
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Tricled.com is in Ft Lauderdale and has a led turn signal light strip that mounts on the top rear inside edge of the mirror housing. Just above the mirror glass. It works great for us.

i too wish BRP would make a better switch for cancelling signal lights.

pigeye39
01-06-2013, 07:07 PM
i put the led strpis on top of mirror, and beleve me ill never ride around with the signal blinking away again they work wonderfull

my3gs
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
59608Comes on with the turn signal only. An helps to b seen behind you also.

Schnauzer
01-06-2013, 08:27 PM
I agrre the switch is difficult to manuver, but I have found if pushed a second time they usually turn off. As far as making them more visible for daytime ryding,, like everyone else here, some sort of led on the mirror is the quick inexpensive fix..And the real kicker is all the has to be removed is the "Mirror".. Finally a mod that doesn't require total disasembly of the tupperware.:yes:..

Sarge707
01-06-2013, 09:56 PM
This is what I did. Got it at Pep Boys, and really easy to do. 59593

I Like that . How involved to do???

Blue Star
01-06-2013, 10:33 PM
I Like that . How involved to do???

Very easy to do. I found the directions on another post on this site. Here they are on a thread called "Side Mirror Arrow Lights, and is post number 29. While gypsy_100 use strips the method is the same. One thing I did that I am sure gypsy_100 did, but did not mention was to push the lower part of the mirror down and in as far as it goes so the hole is as hidden as possible. I also found the wires were not long enough, and has to add on some to make them reach.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?36288-Side-Mirror-Arrow-Lights/page2&highlight=turn+indicator+lights

Bob Denman
01-07-2013, 07:43 AM
The LED arrows on the mirrors are definitely a viable option. My only concern with them, was that they do eat up some space for the rear view... :shocked:

Bob Ledford
01-07-2013, 06:25 PM
The LED arrows on the mirrors are definitely a viable option. My only concern with them, was that they do eat up some space for the rear view... :shocked:

EVery one has çome up with some rather novel and unique ideas:clap:

Bob Ledford
01-07-2013, 06:32 PM
59608Comes on with the turn signal only. An helps to b seen behind you also.

Good idea very unique and saves on the loss of rear viewing real estate.

Bob Denman
01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
:agree: Plus, it's stylish! :2thumbs:

Blue Star
01-07-2013, 07:48 PM

While it does eat up some space. I found it was not enough to worry about. Of course I am coming from a RS with even smaller mirrors.

Bob Denman
01-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Ah yes; perspective helps to tell the story! :thumbup:

Huntindawg1962
01-08-2013, 10:08 AM
The other option (which I did) is to put those front fender LED lights with turn signal capability on the machine. You know when they are blinking (and so does the people behind you). Was not why I put them on but was a nice side benefit.

bmwlarry
01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
I bought a set of 14 in. side emitting leds from baxters and put them around the mirrors. $22.00!

gypsy_100
01-11-2013, 03:35 PM

Agree. I actually bought the arrows but then didn't install them after holding them in place. I already had the small convex mirrors in place so I had already lost a little space and didn't want to lose any more. Went out and found the LED strips instead and installed them as outlined here (with DIY photos) at Post # 29:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?36288-Side-Mirror-Arrow-Lights/page2&highlight=turn+indicator+lights

Here's the end result -- no lost real estate on the mirror surface

If I hadn't found these strips, I would have gone ahead with the arrows and I'm sure it would be just fine. Whatever works -- either way is a great improvement.

And something others haven't mentioned -- if you ride two-up, your passenger will REALLY appreciate knowing what you're going to do before you do it. I had installed Muth mirrors on my Gold Wing and my wife would probably tell you that's the most important mod that I did. She's a much happier RT passenger now with these on the RT.

Sarge707
01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Agree. I actually bought the arrows but then didn't install them after holding them in place. I already had the small convex mirrors in place so I had already lost a little space and didn't want to lose any more. Went out and found the LED strips instead and installed them as outlined here (with DIY photos) at Post # 29:

Here's the end result -- no lost real estate on the mirror surface

If I hadn't found these strips, I would have gone ahead with the arrows and I'm sure it would be just fine. Whatever works -- either way is a great improvement.

And something others haven't mentioned -- if you ride two-up, your passenger will REALLY appreciate knowing what you're going to do before you do it. I had installed Muth mirrors on my Gold Wing and my wife would probably tell you that's the most important mod that I did. She's a much happier RT passenger now with these on the RT.

Nice! I bought 12 inch amber strips to do the same thing. Were you able to fish the wires through without taking the Mirror apart because I tried to undo the clips and theres NO way I,m going to try that again?:yikes:

Bob Denman
01-11-2013, 05:34 PM
(I left mine in one piece and fished them through... I had my mirrors apart once; NEVER again!:shocked:)

gypsy_100
01-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Nice! I bought 12 inch amber strips to do the same thing. Were you able to fish the wires through without taking the Mirror apart because I tried to undo the clips and theres NO way I,m going to try that again?:yikes:

Yep. Very easy to do. Take a look at the referenced post and you'll see photos of exactly how I did it. I agree -- taking the mirrors apart looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Bob Denman
01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
The tabs that hold them together like to break off! :yikes:

bmwlarry
01-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I took mine apart for a clean install but I DID break off one tab!

spyderpoop
01-12-2013, 03:56 PM
how hard is it to get the mirror off is their a site to show how to remove it

Sarge707
01-12-2013, 05:44 PM
how hard is it to get the mirror off is their a site to show how to remove it

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?29642-RT-panels-off-and-on-video

There are 3 video,s here showing you how to Take the mirrors and side panels off. Lots of Good stuff in the Do It Yourself section of the Forum!!:yes:

Bob Ledford
01-12-2013, 06:33 PM
I agrre the switch is difficult to manuver, but I have found if pushed a second time they usually turn off. As far as making them more visible for daytime ryding,, like everyone else here, some sort of led on the mirror is the quick inexpensive fix..And the real kicker is all the has to be removed is the "Mirror".. Finally a mod that doesn't require total disasembly of the tupperware.:yes:..

I have never been able to get mirrors to come off. I have pansy hands these days. I tried a rubber mallet once but was afraid to whack it to hard.

Bob Denman
01-13-2013, 09:26 AM
It's not a question of force at all! NO MALLETS!!! :yikes:
I wiggled, tugged, cussed some, prodded, pushed, cussed some more...
And then the darn things just kind of fell off into my hands!
I don't kjnow what I did or how I did it; but the effort in getting them off was easy.
Knowing where to put that effort... not so much! :gaah:
Does anybody have a good description of just where to do what???

NancysToy
01-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Here's what I do...

1. Hold the mirror in one hand while you rap, sharply but gently, backward on the outer edge to pop loose the front clip.
2. Still holding the mirror, rap upward (again sharply but gently) on the outer end to release the rear (lower) clip.
3. Slide the mirror straight up about half an inch to release the upper post from the keyhole clip.
4. Pull the mirror outward, carefully fishing the wiring connector from inside the console.
5. Release the connector and set the mirror aside.

Note: A tie-wrap on the Spyder side wiring, with the tail intact, will help keep the wires from pulling back into the console until you are ready. Some Spyders already have them and some don't. It may be a dealer prep trick.

Bob Denman
01-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks! :thumbup:
Now I've got to go downstairs and give this a try...
"Sharply but gently" :shocked:

NancysToy
01-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks! :thumbup:
Now I've got to go downstairs and give this a try...
"Sharply but gently" :shocked:

I couldn't think of another way to describe it. You're not trying to knock it into the next county, but it needs more than a nudge or push. Think of it as what Gibbs does to Tony, only with the palm of your hand, or maybe smacking your fist into your baseball glove. The other hand is applying light pressure in the opposite direction, to keep you from going too far and breaking the keyhole clip.

Bob Denman
01-14-2013, 07:59 AM
"Nudge" sounds less destructive. :thumbup:
Thanks for the NCIS reference! :2thumbs:

And it works!! :yes::ohyea::yes::ohyea::yes:

NancysToy
01-14-2013, 08:14 AM
"Nudge" sounds less destructive. :thumbup:
Thanks for the NCIS reference! :2thumbs:

And it works!! :yes::ohyea::yes::ohyea::yes:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

eddieshep999
01-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Note: A tie-wrap on the Spyder side wiring, with the tail intact, will help keep the wires from pulling back into the console until you are ready. Some Spyders already have them and some don't. It may be a dealer prep trick.

Thanks for the tip - Next time I have my mirrors off - I will do this - Not yet lost the wires back into the console
- it would have been only a matter of time - but this trick will make sure I don't

As always more useful tips from Nancys Toy and SpyderLovers everywhere

Bob Ledford
01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Everyone has been so helpful on this. You just don't know :banghead: what it means to one that is not in the know!

:clap: