PDA

View Full Version : Trailer question

Mexican
01-06-2013, 01:05 PM
How much can the spyder haul on a trailer?
I'm getting a crazy idea but don't know if it would work, will the spyder haul the ninja500?
According to the specs the ninja weighs in at 434lbs wet,.,.
Am i crazy????

retread
01-06-2013, 01:15 PM
The RT is rated for a 400 pound gross trailer weight.

john

Bob Denman
01-06-2013, 04:16 PM
You'd absolutely be over the top on the weight limit; but it most likely wouldn't be the first time that it's been done... or the worst either! :shocked:
:lecturef_smilie: But I'm not condoning such irresponsible or dangerous behavior! BRP put those limits there for a reason... ;)

effgjamis
01-06-2013, 04:25 PM
The RT is rated for a 400 pound gross trailer weight.

john

Don't forget to factor in the trailer weight itself. If you can level the trailer load split over the axle front and back you might be ok. but in no case have the hitch weight exceed 40#.

jerpinoy
01-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Be cautious no matter what, Owners manual is there to give us a guideline. Do you drink a fresh milk that has a expiration date before yesterday?:dontknow:

Mexican
01-06-2013, 04:53 PM
No wonder the milk tasted kinda funny, it expired last month!!
A friend of mine had his wife ride her RT with a 10' trailer, i'm guessing the weight around 600lbs empty, they rode to San Antonio about 10hrs away, they went to pick up a truck, on their way back they loaded the RT on the trailer and pulled it with the truck.
I guess they didn't read the instructions!!

bluestratos
01-06-2013, 06:01 PM
I drink the milk of course~!

Schnauzer
01-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Safety factor, BRP if probably about 65% of the capacity due to the fact the we always push the envelope. The question is can you load the trailer to keep the tongue weight when stopping from exceeding the limit.. "Forward Momentum" will definately increase.

If your using an SE5, I would be leary of the amount of twistin torque to get it to untrack.. SM5 on the other hand is a wet clutch, so slipping to grip would be more sufficient.. Trial and error..Would I recommend it?..."No"..Would I try it..."Hell-yeya"

Goodluck, I recall last year a similar question about this from someone doing the same thing, but it was on the eastern coast and Mountains were involved..

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-06-2013, 08:18 PM
How much can the spyder haul on a trailer?
I'm getting a crazy idea but don't know if it would work, will the spyder haul the ninja500?
According to the specs the ninja weighs in at 434lbs wet,.,.
Am i crazy???? YES......and why is this necessary......I say go for it....and let us know at what point your transmission / and or sheaves/sprockets/belt/etc etc etc went SOUTH....because we would all like to know ???????????......and Good Luck with this you are going to need it......Mike :thumbup:

Mexican
01-06-2013, 09:14 PM
YES......and why is this necessary......I say go for it....and let us know at what point your transmission / and or sheaves/sprockets/belt/etc etc etc went SOUTH....because we would all like to know ???????????......and Good Luck with this you are going to need it......Mike :thumbup:
Why do i have the feeling that is a very long way to say don't do it?:coffee:

Rotaxer
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Might want to order in some new brake pads too, you might also want to check with DOT and your insurance company!

Schnauzer
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Why do i have the feeling that is a very long way to say don't do it?:coffee:

Maybe the page editor program thought that a simple yes no answer didn't have enough characters...:roflblack:

NancysToy
01-06-2013, 10:25 PM
If your using an SE5, I would be leary of the amount of twistin torque to get it to untrack.. SM5 on the other hand is a wet clutch, so slipping to grip would be more sufficient.. .....
Both the SE5 and the SM5 have wet clutches. The SE just adds a centrifugal engagement component.

kevorama
01-07-2013, 12:08 AM
For some reason, I thought it was 600 lbs. including trailer weight. I've loaded up our 622 trailer to the max with no troubles other than a slower take off and a longer braking and stopping distance. I defer to those that have more experience with this situation. Sorry I couldn't help.

flaggerphil
01-07-2013, 01:46 AM
The only thing I'll say is...I wouldn't do it.

CyncySpyder
01-07-2013, 06:28 AM
Our Moto-Mate weighs in at 330 pounds empty with a tongue weight of 37 pounds, was the only hard sided camper (read, bed-on-wheels) on the market at the time that was within the BRP specs of 40/400 for the towing capacity of the RT. Back in 2010, we originally had the BRP RT-622 trailer & I have to admit, BRP did an awesome job when they designed that trailer in conjunction with the RT Roadster, as most the time, you don't even realize its back there. I'd have to guess, that couldn't be said for most other trailers, and from personal experience, its not nearly the same with our Moto-Mate.

Finding the proper axle weight ratio is imperative and you can't always rely on the 40/60 rule of thumb. Get too much weight forward and the RT goes into BobbleHead mode & too much weight toward the rear and you'll be swimming down the road on one giant FishTail, neither of which is comfortable nor safe, and this is roughly at the 400 pound limit that we've experienced this.

With the bike & a trailer, you'd be way over the limit putting your brakes, clutch, transmission, engine and possibly your sanity and safety at greater risk. All that being said, I personally know of a fellow Spyder Ryder that rode some 1200+ miles while towing another brand of camper that loaded, was around the 600 pound mark & they claimed no issues what so ever.

arntufun
01-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Actual proof it can be done !!!!!!!!!

If that doesn't squash this tounge wieght discussion, nothing will....... :roflblack:

Ga Blue Knight
01-07-2013, 06:59 AM
When you say the total load capacity of the RT is 400#'s does that include the rider, passenger and luggage on the bike in addition to 400#'s on the trailer or total for both or do you subtract the weights from the 400#'s?

NancysToy
01-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Actual proof it can be done !!!!!!!!!

If that doesn't squash this tongue wieght discussion, nothing will....... :roflblack:

Take another look. This has been frame mounted, rather than using the swingarm as the OEM hitch does. Apples & oranges.

When you say the total load capacity of the RT is 400#'s does that include the rider, passenger and luggage on the bike in addition to 400#'s on the trailer or total for both or do you subtract the weights from the 400#'s?
The total load capacity of the RT is 525 pounds. That includes passengers and cargo, accessories, and probably the tongue weight. The 400 pound trailer capacity is separate (except for the tonge weight portion).

Bob Denman
01-07-2013, 09:48 AM
But you've got to admit; Randy's picture of how they loaded the spare bike out back is mighty impressive! :shocked:

arntufun
01-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Take another look. This has been frame mounted, rather than using the swingarm as the OEM hitch does. Apples & oranges.

The total load capacity of the RT is 525 pounds. That includes passengers and cargo, accessories, and probably the tongue weight. The 400 pound trailer capacity is separate (except for the tonge weight portion).

Judging by this photo, it attaches to the footpeg bracket. :yikes:

Bob Denman
01-07-2013, 10:05 AM
If anybody was ever gonna be able to get a Spyder to Wheelie... :bowdown: :2thumbs: :roflblack:

NancysToy
01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Judging by this photo, it attaches to the footpeg bracket. :yikes:

.....which is attached to the frame, not the swingarm. They also appear to go inside the bodywork to caztch the frame at the top. The 40 pound limit is based on the swingarm hitch location. BTW, I wouldn't try attaching much to that die-cast footpeg bracket. That's scarier than hanging 400# on the swingarm. :yikes:

bscrive
01-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I think this is in the realm of 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'. It would be like hauling an old Austin Mini with a cavalier. I wouldn't do it.

Don't forget that you still have the added weight of the trailer as well as the bike. You will be way over the recommended weight.

jerpinoy
01-07-2013, 02:22 PM
If a toyota thundra can tow the space shuttle, can :spyder2: also do miracle?