PDA

View Full Version : Driver Backrest-2013 ST

Halesangel13
01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I am new to the Spyder. Just purchasing a 2013 ST-Limited. I would like to know how helpful those that have it installed find it? Can you actually lean against it while you are riding? Is there one for the 2013 ST? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Rando
01-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Contact these folks. http://www.utpr.com/

If they don't have one, they will work with you to make one. Best mod that I added to my 2011 RT.

congrats on your new Spyder!

JJW SpyderRider
01-03-2013, 07:48 PM
:welcome:

Trickie Dick
01-03-2013, 09:19 PM
I assume you are talking about a drivers backrest. I don't think BRP offers one since they don't for any other model. If's it for the passenger, then they probably do since one if offered for the RS.
BTW, where in Indiana are you located?

Halesangel13
01-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Trickie Dick,

Yes, I am talking about a driver's backrest. It appears that Utopia makes one for the driver. I am located in Madison, Indiana. It is about two hours from you. I go to Carmel from time to time. I have some friends that just bought a 30 acre estate there. Do you ride with others? I am looking for a group or friends to ride with.

Thanks,
Cathy

I assume you are talking about a drivers backrest. I don't think BRP offers one since they don't for any other model. If's it for the passenger, then they probably do since one if offered for the RS.
BTW, where in Indiana are you located?

Halesangel13
01-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Rando, thank you for the reply. Did you have it professionally installed? I see where Utopia has instructions posted. I am a little concerned about having someone cut into a brand new seat. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Cathy

Contact these folks. http://www.utpr.com/

If they don't have one, they will work with you to make one. Best mod that I added to my 2011 RT.

congrats on your new Spyder!

Spyderjockey
01-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Rando, thank you for the reply. Did you have it professionally installed? I see where Utopia has instructions posted. I am a little concerned about having someone cut into a brand new seat. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Cathy

I know that feeling very well. I bought the Utopia this last late summer and installed it myself and I just hated the thought of cutting into my seat although mine isn't considered new at 78,000 miles I still hated having to cut into like that. Everything worked out well though and the Utopia people are absolutely great to deal with. I posted on here in the fall how much help there were to me with a little problem we had for my wife. If you want to read about it search "kudos for Utopia" there are some pics. also. I really love the back rest it gives a lot of support to the back and yes you can really lean into it.:thumbup: BTW welcome to Spyderdom!!:welcome:

Rando
01-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks, CathyI installed it myself. Measure twice, cut once!

Halesangel13
01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Looking forward to meeting folks at the Spyderfest. Thank you for the information.

I know that feeling very well. I bought the Utopia this last late summer and installed it myself and I just hated the thought of cutting into my seat although mine isn't considered new at 78,000 miles I still hated having to cut into like that. Everything worked out well though and the Utopia people are absolutely great to deal with. I posted on here in the fall how much help there were to me with a little problem we had for my wife. If you want to read about it search "kudos for Utopia" there are some pics. also. I really love the back rest it gives a lot of support to the back and yes you can really lean into it.:thumbup: BTW welcome to Spyderdom!!:welcome:

Halesangel13
01-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the information. I am not that brave, but am glad to know it works. Looking forward to meeting some of the Spyderlovers at Springfield.

I installed it myself. Measure twice, cut once!

MarkLawson
01-04-2013, 10:30 PM
The Utopia on my RT is the original for the RT. I contacted Utopia and worked with Bob to design the mounting bracket since he had not seen an RT at that point (early 2010). I shipped the saddle and passenger backrest to him and then sent/received about 40 emails with him. He didn't have the RT there, so he'd ask questions and request measurements & I'd go to my dealer to get them. Lots of pics exchanged. He finally returned the final installed backrest & saddle to me, which was perfect. You might give them a shout and see if they'd do the same with you. You'd have to be willing to do without it for a few weeks, but would have the first!

By the way, the pics of the black RT & yellow GS on the Utopia website are ours, along with the closeup shot of the driver & passenger backrest.

Bryk
01-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Bob is waiting for someone to get back to him if the ST seat is the same as the RS.

If anyone knows if the stock RS and ST seat are the same, then the mounting bracket will be the same. If so then any ST owners can just go with the RS backrest.

I forgot to ask my dealer last time I spoke with him. As I am in the process of getting an ST and I just ordered the utopia backrest on a different bike last year. So he will sell me just the mount for it.