PDA

View Full Version : Can't open the frunk with my key

Fire Joe
01-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Wanted to get in to my frunk to get something out and I can't open it. The key will push down but won't turn to open the frunk. It still works for the seat though so I don't think it's an issue with the key cylinder (or whatever it's called).

Any ideas? Thanks for any help you all can give me :thumbup:

Tierhog
01-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Cable broke or latch mechanism malfunction at the frunk. Probably just stuck/binded where the catch is... :)

NancysToy
01-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Spray some lock lubricant (Lock-Ez) into the switch and work the key a bit in as many directions as you can. In a pinch, WD-40 will work, but it dries the lock out, so use a good graphite lube as soon as possible afterwards. Push down on the trunk lid as you try to turn the lock. Anything in the trunk that pushes up against the lid will hinder opening. A dry, sticky latch will, too. If you get the trunk open, lightly lubricate the latch mechanism and sparingly lube the latch post with the recommended BRP lube, waterproof grease, or silicone grease. Also lube the cable with a cable lube tool. If the lock still won't turn, take off the panel where you change the oil, and reach in until you find the latch cable. Pulling on it should release the latch. Then see your dealer to deal with the ignition switch or bad cable.

Ypu may want to consider adding an emergency release. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?6760-Emergency-Trunk-Release

jvicker
01-01-2013, 09:50 PM
PM sent

Blue Star
01-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Spray some lock lubricant (Lock-Ez) into the switch and work the key a bit in as many directions as you can. In a pinch, WD-40 will work, but it dries the lock out, so use a good graphite lube as soon as possible afterwards. Push down on the trunk lid as you try to turn the lock. Anything in the trunk that pushes up against the lid will hinder opening. A dry, sticky latch will, too. If you get the trunk open, lightly lubricate the latch mechanism and sparingly lube the latch post with the recommended BRP lube, waterproof grease, or silicone grease. Also lube the cable with a cable lube tool. If the lock still won't turn, take off the panel where you change the oil, and reach in until you find the latch cable. Pulling on it should release the latch. Then see your dealer to deal with the ignition switch or bad cable.

Ypu may want to consider adding an emergency release. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?6760-Emergency-Trunk-Release

:agree: and if you have a frunk liner make sure it is in place correct after you do get it open. I had mine keep the lid from opening because it was pushing the lid up. Pressure on the lid will keep it from opening.

retread
01-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Try pushing down on the lid where the latch is as you turn the key. Chances are, something is holding it up far enough that the latch is jammed.

john

Motorcycledave
01-02-2013, 01:14 AM
the cable runs right behind the left lower fog light if you do not have
a fog light there you can put your fingers in the hole feel around for
the cable and pull on it the lid will open if the cable is not broken
good luck
Dave

jerpinoy
01-02-2013, 01:06 PM
:(:(Sorry what happened but please keep us inform the process.

asp125
01-02-2013, 01:11 PM
When I first got the Spyder, one day I could not figure out why my key would not open the frunk lock... turned out I was turning it the wrong direction. It happens! :)