PDA

View Full Version : clunk when going to first...

kma10-4
03-14-2008, 01:57 AM
seems as clutch is not fully disengaging when going from nuetral to first.loud clunk
shifts fine thru other gears when going...have adjustment wheel on lever to fullest.

maybe clutch needs to be bleed or is there a adjustment for clutch on the tranny end .
if i start spyder in 1st gear with clutch pulled in it creeps forward a hair untill rpm'scome up at start.
thought i'd ask before pulling panels to look for adjustment.did'nt notice earlier..

Spyd3r
03-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Check your oil level

kma10-4
03-15-2008, 05:30 PM
all fluids full

Dilbertian
03-16-2008, 09:08 AM
I have a clunk when I go from Neutral to First. I have tried holding the clutch in for up to 10 seconds to see if anything spins down and lessens the noise but it makes no difference. I think the unit I test drove did the same thing, it's probably just a characteristic of the bike.

-Tim

NancysToy
03-16-2008, 01:00 PM
I have a clunk when I go from Neutral to First. I have tried holding the clutch in for up to 10 seconds to see if anything spins down and lessens the noise but it makes no difference. I think the unit I test drove did the same thing, it's probably just a characteristic of the bike.

-Tim

That could well be. I ride BMWs, (Spyder is for the Mrs.) and all the R-bikes clunk in every gear, always have. Same for both my 72 and my 2000 models. How about it, any of you folks that have had your Spyders a while that can chime in?

-Scotty

Diggittt
03-16-2008, 01:57 PM
a few weeks ago i went riding with my dealer and i pointed out the clunk in 1st gear and he said that it is more than likely the characteristics of the gear box for the spyder.

Phil

barb36jack31
03-16-2008, 04:10 PM
My Spyder clunks when going into first just like all the Beemers I have owned. I wish it would click in, but I don't sweat it at all. Probably just a characteristic of the Spyder .

Jack H.

Trypod
03-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Honestly, didn't notice till this post came up. :redfaced: Of course, I'm a Harley rider, so "positive shifting" (which I prefer over clunking) is normal to me. As positive as the shift is throughout the range, I don't think this is going to be a problem. Happy Spydering!!! :bigthumbsup: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Ryno
03-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Yes nothing like the feeling of easing in neutral up to the stop light holding the clutch and giving the pedal a firm thumping and the transmission falling out of the bike!!!

LOL.. Its normal. It makes me feel special when it clunks into gear, makes me feel like I have accomplished something.

aubierules
03-28-2008, 08:02 AM
all my bikes have clunked when shifting from neutral to first..i think its the nature of the beast

Rando
10-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Does the Spyder have any adjustment at all for the clutch, and I'm not talking about the adjustment at the clutch lever. My "clunking" seems to be getting worse!

When I hold in the clutch and slowing try to shift down into first or up into second, I can hear the gears clicking. I have to give it a solid movement to get it to shift and then of course it's a very loud "clunk". That cant' be good for the gears!

pierrelogic
10-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Mine makes the clunk sound. I lessen it by pulling in the clutch and shifting from neutral to 1st right away. Less clunk but still makes a noise. I always sit at lights in neutral (which is not recommended by the safety course at all).

If you try to baby it it sounds like you're shaving off teeth. :yikes:

boborgera
10-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Does the Spyder have any adjustment at all for the clutch, and I'm not talking about the adjustment at the clutch lever. My "clunking" seems to be getting worse!

When I hold in the clutch and slowing try to shift down into first or up into second, I can hear the gears clicking. I have to give it a solid movement to get it to shift and then of course it's a very loud "clunk". That cant' be good for the gears!

Are you sure the noise is excessive, Down shifting to first a loud clunk is normal on almost all bikes. I had a Honda 929, when i hit first,it sounded
like i hit the case with a hammer. Also if your up-shifting too soft into second, the gear won't engage all the way, and it will click [ratchet].

Dudley
10-18-2010, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Just clunk and go!

Campverdefela
10-18-2010, 07:02 PM
I have the SE5 and it clunks from neut.-first. A transmission quy once told me that if a transmission clunks a little its the sign of a good tranny its the quiet ones you have to be leary of.

ataDude
10-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Every bike... and I mean every... clunks going into first from neutral... (unless it's a a pure auto like some of the V-8 bikes). Some are a little less clunkier, but they still clunk. My Valk has one of the best transmissions ever... yet it still clunks into first.

When out and about, downshift into first while your still moving... no clunk. And, if you're sitting at a stop light, you really want to still be in first and ready to go if some moonbat behind you doesn't look like they're going to stop.

Rando
10-18-2010, 07:59 PM
When out and about, downshift into first while your still moving... no clunk.I guess it bothers me because I use my Spyder to commute to work. Due to my job and the parking garage, I have to swipe my ID badge and enter a pin at 3 separate stops. So between leaving the house and the 3 swipes, I have to hear 4 clunks! Same thing when I leave work for a total of 8 clunks! For me, a clunk means metal on metal which doesn't seem like a good thing.

NancysToy
10-18-2010, 08:16 PM
I guess it bothers me because I use my Spyder to commute to work. Due to my job and the parking garage, I have to swipe my ID badge and enter a pin at 3 separate stops. So between leaving the house and the 3 swipes, I have to hear 4 clunks! Same thing when I leave work for a total of 8 clunks! For me, a clunk means metal on metal which doesn't seem like a good thing.
Wear earplugs if it bothers you. :D Like Atadude said, virtually all bikes do it. The noise can vary depending on the oil used, the weather, and the engine temperature. If you ride a BMW for a while, everything else will sound quiet. BTW, the Beemers are known for six-digits on the odometers...with the transmissions still healthy. The only thing you can do with the clutch is to bleed it. This should not be necessary unless the fluid was changed and it wasn't bled properly at that time.

bruiser
10-18-2010, 08:35 PM
:agree:My Rt does the same thing. Sometimes more than others. It even clunks going into other gears if I don't hit the shift just right. As others have said, it's the nature of the beast.

sabunim5
10-19-2010, 12:43 PM
If I recall correctly and that might be a big if, but, I believe we have straight cut gears in our transmissions. Straight cut is stronger but clunks more and helical cut gears are slightly weaker but shift smoother and quieter?

Arthur---Mexico
10-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Scotty,
From the time my SE5 2008 Spyder was new it clunked when it went into 1st gear. So I just live with it as I do with a few other things. Any consolation?

Firefly
10-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Almost 30K on my Spyder and yup--- clunks--- always has--- always will-- just the nature of the beast.

Every drop it into first without using the clutch?

I have-- by accident--- engine stalls immediately as one would expect.

Only difference I've noticed with more miles is finding neutral has become more difficult--- not sure why--- but I really only use it during warm up or extended stops...... I know you're not supposed to drop into neutral at stop lights--- but on long ones I find myself doing it.

boborgera
10-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Almost 30K on my Spyder and yup--- clunks--- always has--- always will-- just the nature of the beast.

Every drop it into first without using the clutch?

I have-- by accident--- engine stalls immediately as one would expect.

Only difference I've noticed with more miles is finding neutral has become more difficult--- not sure why--- but I really only use it during warm up or extended stops...... I know you're not supposed to drop into neutral at stop lights--- but on long ones I find myself doing it.

Over the the years i've found on some bikes, including the Spyder it gos into neutral easier if you go up to second then down to neutral.
My Kawasaki has a feature in it ,that when the bike is not moving and in First it will only go into neutral no matter how hard you push up.:thumbup: