PDA

View Full Version : LOOKING FORWARD TO SATURDAY!!!

JKMSPYDER
01-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Fellow spyderlovers, I pick up my new ST-S on Saturday. Need some advice! This is my first Spyder. I owned a two wheeler for about 6 years in the '80's, then sold it as I didn't have a lot of time to ride. Back in August, my wife and I were in Utah on vacation and I took a 20 mile back country trip with a group on ATV's. I had never ridden an ATV for this long or this far in my life. I was very tentative at first and was last in the group traveling single file down a dirt trail with a lot of curves and drop offs. After a few miles I got the hang of it and was keeping up with the group and taking the curves with confidence. After I decided I wanted a Spyder, I test drove a 2012 RT around the parking lot at a dealer in early December. I felt very comfortable on it, but never got over 10 mph or out of first gear.

Now fast forward to this Saturday. I will be riding my ST-S back to my home in Murphy, a trip of 90 miles. About 1/3 of the trip will be two lane state hwys and 2/3 will be 4 lane. Hopefully traffic will be light. Trailering is not an option. I have read the Do's and Don't on this forum countless times and have been reading the ST-S manual for weeks that I downloaded and printed. Needless to say, I am very excited but apprehensive at the same time. Any advice from you veteran Spyderlovers would be appreciated. ;)

georam
01-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I purchased a 2012 RTS at the end of November 2012. I had ridden a 2 wheeler, 40 plus years ago. Believe it or not some 2 wheel driving techniques will surface. One that you want to forget is turning corners. On the Spyder you steer into and through the corners. I found that slightly leaning your body into the corners, griping the sides with your knees and steering works well. My advice to you is to go at least a day early or more if possible and practice on back roads. It took me awhile to get my speed up to highway speeds and feel comfortable. The first couple of curves you take at highway speeds will get your attention. It is invigorating to say the least. Make sure you know the controls well, especially the turning signal. You want to be able to control it without looking at it and remember to touch it to reset it if just changing lanes. Don't be shifting until at least above 4,000 RPM. I usually shift at about 4,400 RPM. Think 4,400 RPM to 5,500 RPM before shifting. You will get the feel of this and won't even have to look at the gauge eventually. Also run with all of your lights on high beam. You want to be seen.

Practice before the 4 lane highway!!!! Watch the DVD that comes with the Spyder.

JJW SpyderRider
01-01-2013, 11:48 AM
JKMSPYDER Welcome to Spyderlovers, you are in the right place!

The fact that you have not rode a two wheeler since the 80's will be a benefit. The Spyder is more like the ATV but goes faster. Don't just leave the dealer and hop on the highway. I went around the block in bigger and bigger loops. This gave me a chance to make a lot of turns with increasing straightways. After a few minutes I was on the highway doing 55+ ;) with no problems. I had never rode any two wheeler other than during the NSF saftey course in a parking lot.

You've read the Do & Don'ts which is a great start, relax and enjoy!

Bob Denman
01-01-2013, 01:24 PM
:congrats: Now;Take a deep breath... let it out... Everything is gonna go just fine! :thumbup: Your bit of ATV experience will be a major asset to you in getting your new pride and joy home.
Take a few short trips:
around the parking lot
around the block
around the neighborhood....
...before heading out for real. This'll give you a chance to get a feel for the brakes, throttle and steering. You've got a 90 mile trip; who is gonna care if it takes three or more hours. TAKE YOUR TIME!
I'd suggest getting in touch with "Laila's Dad" (another member in here) He was pretty careful and went through the learning process in a very thorough manner. He could probably give you the absolute best advice from another recent convert.
And we'll expect to hear about all of it on Sunday before the NFL playoffs begin...:joke: The best of luck to you! :thumbup:

Osros
01-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Fellow spyderlovers, I pick up my new ST-S on Saturday. Need some advice! This is my first Spyder. I owned a two wheeler for about 6 years in the '80's, then sold it as I didn't have a lot of time to ride. Back in August, my wife and I were in Utah on vacation and I took a 20 mile back country trip with a group on ATV's. I had never ridden an ATV for this long or this far in my life. I was very tentative at first and was last in the group traveling single file down a dirt trail with a lot of curves and drop offs. After a few miles I got the hang of it and was keeping up with the group and taking the curves with confidence. After I decided I wanted a Spyder, I test drove a 2012 RT around the parking lot at a dealer in early December. I felt very comfortable on it, but never got over 10 mph or out of first gear.

Now fast forward to this Saturday. I will be riding my ST-S back to my home in Murphy, a trip of 90 miles. About 1/3 of the trip will be two lane state hwys and 2/3 will be 4 lane. Hopefully traffic will be light. Trailering is not an option. I have read the Do's and Don't on this forum countless times and have been reading the ST-S manual for weeks that I downloaded and printed. Needless to say, I am very excited but apprehensive at the same time. Any advice from you veteran Spyderlovers would be appreciated. ;)

Congrats! :clap:

I got a 60 mile trip when I get mine, as others have said ride it around first close by for the practice and also if you have a problem its better to know close to the dealership and take it back than to be far away. I am considering taking alternate route less traveled roads to get home, may add alittle time to your trip but may feel better with less vehicles about and slower speeds 55-65, just a thought.

JKMSPYDER
01-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks gang. All great advice! The dealer doesn't have a big parking lot, so taking a few turns around the block before I get on the highway makes sense. My wife is taking me to the dealer in our car and will follow me back. I can break up the trip by stopping to fill up and eating lunch. Like Bob said, it doesn't really matter how long it takes me to get home. I will be posting a full report Saturday night. Do you think I will get any sleep the night before?:roflblack:

retired1
01-01-2013, 07:06 PM
If I were you, I'd have an employee(preferably the one who put the bike together)go over the PDI sheet with you. Some past problems have been caused by incorrect assembly of the bike. JMO

ARtraveler
01-01-2013, 08:32 PM
:welcome: and :congrats:on the new ryde. :2thumbs:

A big item to remember at first when driving the :spyder2: is to not overcontrol. Overcontrolling will make the :ani29: seem like it has a mind of its own. Try to get a few miles in before hitting the highway if possible by going slow and getting the hang of making turns, starting and stopping.

You don't have to worry about break-in as long as you don't beat the heck out of your :spyder2:.

The semi auto likes high revs so your shift points should be at between 4000 and 4500 rpms. You can downshift letting the :ani29: do it (it will do it at about 2500 rpms) or downshift with the paddel button. I like to downshift at 4000 except for 2 to 1--then I downshift at about 3000. For me, this gives almost seemless shifting up and down.

Enjoy your ryde and let us know how everything goes for you.

Bob Denman
01-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Good point to mention! :agree: A light grip on the bars will help reduce the tendancy to try and over-control the bike. The first two miles of my maiden voyage; I was pretty sure that I had just made the biggest mistake of my life! :shocked: Then I remembered that Ski Doo should know how to build a vehicle that'll track straight and true... you just have to let it!

CyncySpyder
01-02-2013, 07:30 AM
:clap::yes::congrats: & :welcome::yes::clap:

spydrluvr
01-02-2013, 08:47 AM
JKM, welcome to spyderlovers, I speak with experience, as I was in your same situation. My first spyder was a 2009 rg. I had never ridden a spyder, nor atv. I rode home 85 miles in the dark, in 25 degree weather, snow, and backroads. The most important advice I gleaned from this website, 1, do not use the death grip...easy does it, and 2, make sure the tires are properly inflated, the spyder can get a little "jiggy" if the tires are low.

So what I am saying is, if I can do it, you can. You will love the ryde!! just relax, enjoy, and be safe!! It is a great machine!!! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. :thumbup:

murphybrown
01-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Congrats. You have just received some of the best advice from some of the finest people in the world.My advice for you: sign up for Spyderfest 2013.

Oldmanzues
01-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Welcome to Spyderhood. I would agre with most of the above, but feel the extra going on back roads is preferable to any time on the highway til you have a couple hundred miles on the Spyder, like leisDad (sp),
Oldmanzues

SpyderAnn01
01-02-2013, 10:59 AM
:welcome: and congratulations on your new Spyder. I agree with AKSpyderman that the death grip is probably the biggest mistake you can make. Also make sure you are dressed warm enough so you won't be shivering. It is pretty hard to relax if you are freezing! Have fun.

jerpinoy
01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
:agree: to all the advice of the :spyder2:hood. :welcome: It took me awhile on turn signal controls,but practice, practice , more practice will help you.:yes:Have fun and ride safe.:yes:

Bob Denman
01-05-2013, 09:24 AM
(Do you think he got to the Dealership before they even were open for business this morning??) :thumbup:

d.o.spyder-rts
01-05-2013, 10:55 AM
:congrats:on your new spyder purchase and:welcome:to the spyder web. Have a safe trip home. Dale