PDA

View Full Version : Riding

Greenie
12-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Hi guys
I have just bought my first spider rt and I must say it's nothing like the bikes I have ridden before. At this point of time I have been off riding bikes for 6 years due to the loss of my left leg in a bike crash. I would welcome someone to confirm any secrets to how to ride these machines with ease as it seems completely different to the standard riding position of two wheels. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

Greenie
Australia

ARtraveler
12-31-2012, 06:18 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde.

Yes, the :spyder2: is a different ryde from two wheels. Most of us who have come off of riding two wheels find that it takes about 500 miles of driving the :ani29: before everything becomes natural.

The biggest difference is that you do not countersteer the spyder. Getting used to pushing the handlebars in the turning direction is new. Also, there is a tendency to over input on the handlbars--which makes the :spyder2: seem to have a mind of its own.

I recommend as little input into the steering as possible. Practice at low speeds in a parking lot--per the manual--and you will become more confident as the miles pile up.

Let us know how you new adventure goes.

Pennyrick
12-31-2012, 07:24 PM
If you can find a wide open paved area, like a supermarket or church.... as crazy as it seems try coasting from 20 mph or so and take your hands off the bars. That will give you the feeling of how true the machine tracks.

Another thought is imagining there is a tiny bird in each hand and any pressure you put on the bars should not hurt the bird.

Oversteering is the biggest fault of beginners.

NancysToy
12-31-2012, 09:08 PM
I also highly recommend some parking lot practice. There s an excellent skills course in your manual. In addition to a light touch on the bars, and getting used to steering through the turn instead of initiating the turn with countersteering, it helps to lean your body into the turn. Think of it as trying to kiss the knuckles on your inside hand. You might also check teh front shock preload...most riders prefer it a notch or two above the recommended setting in the manual, to reduce body roll.

Tink
01-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Since I am a new Spyder owner and operator I am soaking up all of this info. All is appreciated! Thank you even though it is not directed at me personally.

GloryRyders
01-01-2013, 08:20 AM
:congrats: and :welcome: to the web.....................:agree: with the above suggestions and can only add practice, practice, practice.

Bob Denman
01-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the party! :ohyea::ohyea:
Don't try to think of the Spyder as a motorcycle! They don't ride or handle at all like any two-wheeler that you've ever been on.
Do you have any experience on ATVs or snowmobiles? Those most closely approximate the sensations that the Spyder delivers.
You've got the pads along the sides of the tank; put your "inside" knee against that during turns and lean a bit to the inside...
That'll keep your weight centered over the bike.
It does take several hundred miles to make the adjustment... It's just my opinion, but I think that somebody who's never been on a two-wheeler can actually adapt quicker!

btcherm
01-01-2013, 09:46 AM
It take a little time to get the hang of it but it all fun.:doorag::welcome::congrats::spyder2:

retired1
01-01-2013, 09:49 AM
You should also check out the "Enabled Spyderlovers" forum for additional suggestions and hints on amputation and riding the :spyder2:.
Welcome Spyderlover!!

my3gs
01-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Welcome its all like family here i have learned sooooooo much that no dealer or anybody else could ever tell you. good luck :congrats:u have many miles with many smiles ahead :2thumbs::2thumbs:

DocRags
01-01-2013, 12:37 PM
:welcome: If you search on the forum for tips for new riders, there are some excellent posts that address some of the questions you are raising. There's a definite learning curve to riding a Spyder, and practice, practice, practice is a great motto. Enjoy!

Greenie
01-01-2013, 05:22 PM
To all the guys who replied to my questions about being a new Spyder rider yesterday Thanks ! I will take on board all the tips you have mentioned

Regards

Greenie
Australia

d.o.spyder-rts
01-02-2013, 02:22 AM
:congrats: on your spyder purchase and:welcome:to the spyder web. Dale