PDA

View Full Version : VSS Fault Code on 2008 GS SM5

Howard1941
12-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Well, I've done it now! I removed the rear axle to remove a trailer hitch that I installed a couple of months ago. I was careful putting everything back together. I'm getting ready to trade the bike for a 2013 ST-S. I took a short ride and everything was OK for about 20 miles, then, a VSS Fault Code appeared. I visually checked everything after I "limped home". It probably is something with one of the rear wheel sensors. I don't think I have a real safety issue.

It is about 65 miles from my home to the dealership. Is it OK to ride this far in the "limp home mode" as long as I stay around 45 MPH? Any input would be much appreciated.

spydee owner
12-31-2012, 06:18 PM
It is possible that code is totally unrelated to back wheel. BUDS should be able to rectify.
I hate when this kind of thing happens. You work on something and another issue appears that may or may not be related to the work just done. ;)

NancysToy
12-31-2012, 08:55 PM
What you are seeing is a warning...not a fault code. To read the active fault codes on a GS/RS:

1. Turn key to "ON".
2. Press and hold "MODE" button while pushing the "flash high beam" rapidly 5 times (within 2 seconds).
3. If there is no active fault code "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed. Active fault codes will be displayed numerically.

I suspect you damaged the ABS sensor wires, disconnected them, or moved an ABS sensor when you took off your hitch...but it could be something else with the brake system (or another system). While you are at it, check your brake fluid level. The warning could be coincidental.

boborgera
12-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Mechanics 101, Go back to the last thing you did.
In the tool bag that came with the Spyder is a gauge to gap/adjust the ABS sensor,
It could be that the sensor out of adjustment. :dontknow: