PDA

View Full Version : Optional "Comfort" seat vs Corbin Seat?

kls89027
12-29-2012, 11:42 PM
A couple of questions regarding seating: Is the seat on the RT Limited the same as the optional Comfort Seat? How would the optional Comfort Seat compare to a Corbin Seat? I wonder if the cost difference would be worth it?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this "uncomfortable" subject.

LLSailor
12-29-2012, 11:46 PM
I can't refer the Corbin, but I got the optional 'Comfort Seat' on my RT-S when I got it last May. Still working on the comfort part, the only real change from the stock seat that I can detect is that the back of the driver portion is a couple of inches further back. Little more leg room for the driver, little less seat space for the passenger. Happy New Year!

NancysToy
12-30-2012, 12:04 AM
The LTD seat is the same as the other models. There was an advertising error that indicated otherwise. Before you consider a Corbin, look at some of the other offerings, too, like Ultimate, Russell Day-Long, or having yours rebuilt by MotorcycleDave. Seats are a very personal thing, and what is heaven for one is agony to another. It is an expensive thing to buy one and then hate it.

currin20fan
12-30-2012, 08:48 AM
The LTD seat is the same as the other models. There was an advertising error that indicated otherwise. Before you consider a Corbin, look at some of the other offerings, too, like Ultimate, Russell Day-Long, or having yours rebuilt by MotorcycleDave. Seats are a very personal thiong, and what is heaven for one is agony to another. It is an expensive thing to buy one and then hate it.

Seating is a personal thing and there are many threads on here concerning the different types of seats. I opted for the Corbin on my RT Ltd and had it made just for me with help from Lamont and its comfortable and works for me. :D

Bob Denman
12-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Before you consider a Corbin, look at some of the other offerings, too, like Ultimate, Russell Day-Long, or having yours rebuilt by MotorcycleDave. Seats are a very personal thing, and what is heaven for one is agony to another. It is an expensive thing to buy one and then hate it.

:agree::agree::agree::agree: :2thumbs:

SpyderLady
12-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Definitely look at some of the past threads. I personally prefer the Ultimate seat over the others. Had an Ultimate on my RS and now on my RT.

Dragonrider
12-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I also agree with the "personal" thing. Go to a Spyder "event" and try to sit on other bikes - at one time or another, I've had almost every brand of seat, and always go back to a Corbin. You might also try a $35 beadrider, they can be an amazing addition to any seat - especially in hot or wet environments. The are easy to put on or take off, so you can ride with one for 100 miles, then remove it, if desired...

Harrold
12-30-2012, 12:17 PM
A couple of questions regarding seating: Is the seat on the RT Limited the same as the optional Comfort Seat? How would the optional Comfort Seat compare to a Corbin Seat? I wonder if the cost difference would be worth it?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this "uncomfortable" subject.

You might want to check a local car/motorcycle upholstery shop. Had my and my wife's seats moved back 2 and a half inches, padding removed and replaced with gel pad material. Very comfortable, seats still look brand new, and the cost for doing both bikes was about the same as purchasing a Corbin seat.
Ride safe,
Harrold

StriperKing
12-30-2012, 04:50 PM
I agree it is a personal preference but I have a Corbin and would not take anything for it. My wife on the other hand liked the OEM better, not a good position to be in but the OEM seat killed me and I can go all day with my Corbin. If you are wondering why my wife does not like it, she sais it is to hard. I think I will have her part reworked to suit her.

ARtraveler
12-30-2012, 08:44 PM
I am one of those biased Corbin people. Had one on my 2008 GS and have one on my 2010 RT-S. But--as others have said--you like it or hate it. The Corbin is very firm and takes some getting used to. I have rode all day on mine without serious problems. When my back or hips are giving me issues, I add either a sheepskin/gel pad or my airhawk cusion. Between the three combinations, I can usually get the riding miles in that I want.

RE: the BRP comfort seat--I had one on the 2009 RS and recently purchased one for the 2011 RT. In my opinion, the stock seat is way to soft for my liking. The BRP comfort seat is definately a step up from the stock seat. Cost is about $500 for the Comfort seat and close to $1000 for a Corbin and driver backrest. Add heat, or other options and the price goes up further.

Suggestions to try other seats before buying is a good idea. It can save you some big money and prevent a bad purchase for you.

One persons good seat can turn out to be another persons nightmare.

MangoMike
12-30-2012, 09:09 PM
I rate my Corbin seat and pax arm rests as the best mod I've done to my RT. I'm sure some of the other seats are also great, but I wouldn't trade my Corbin for any of them.

MouthPiece
12-30-2012, 09:18 PM
I rate my Corbin seat and pax arm rests as the best mod I've done to my RT. I'm sure some of the other seats are also great, but I wouldn't trade my Corbin for any of them.

Ditto!!!!

Hberninger
12-31-2012, 12:45 AM
I am one of those biased Corbin people. ....... When my back or hips are giving me issues, I add either a sheepskin/gel pad or my airhawk cusion. Between the three combinations, I can usually get the riding miles in that I want. ......

I notice you have an air hawk cushion. I was looking at them at a dealer the other day. Any advice or thoughts about the air hawk?

thanks, Bernie

Spyderific
12-31-2012, 01:32 AM
LTD seats are different from the others. When we test drove a LTD we thought the seat was pretty good. Then when we picked ours up the dealer mentioned he thought our new LTD seat felt harder so he checked with BRP and was told a few LTD's were shipped out with regular seats so they ordered an LTD seat for us and it is better now.

Motorcycledave
12-31-2012, 01:44 AM
:)Well I don't want to brag but I make a better seat than anyone,... in my opinion
and for less money....
been at it for 40+ YEARS
Dave

ARtraveler
12-31-2012, 04:12 AM
The AirHawk is a very good add on for those extra comfort miles. The medium cruiser size works best for the RT driver seat pad. There are two different versions. I have the original version and it seems very sufficient for me. It takes a few trips to get the inflation right. You sit "in" the AirHawk not "on" it.

R30SHIRE
12-31-2012, 05:46 AM
I've have 2 Spyder RT's. On one is the Corbin and on the other is the Ultimate. The Ultimate seat is hands down
the better of the two. They are tan like the stock RT Limited seat. So, we all have options, but I do LOVE the
Ultimate Brand. :sour:

Bob Denman
12-31-2012, 07:53 AM
If you are considering the BRP comfort seat and ride two-up; make sure that your Co-Pilot does a "test fit" with you. The loss of 2" of space for them can be significant... :shocked:

currin20fan
12-31-2012, 07:57 AM
The AirHawk is a very good add on for those extra comfort miles. The medium cruiser size works best for the RT driver seat pad. There are two different versions. I have the original version and it seems very sufficient for me. It takes a few trips to get the inflation right. You sit "in" the AirHawk not "on" it.

I too use an airhawk for longer trips. Works great but I don't use it much in the winter time. Air goes under it and.............well............you know :shocked:

Dragonrider
12-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Same for the Beadrider - airflow keeps you cool, and dry….

I'm sure you can see that there are no simple answers. A custom seat, made by a company who lives and dies by their seat customers, is WAY better than any OEM variant. However, your riding style, weight, height, inseam, arm length, and age, all impact seating. I had Russell build a custom seat for my LT, and it required pictures of me, and my co-rider on the bike - riding and at a full stop, plus a host of measurements. 70 days later, my seat arrived, and it DID correct my major complaint on that bike, but my Corbin always felt better on the road.

The Spyder doesn't have the design issues of the LT, so road comfort was my only driving issue. I used the existing passenger backrest, and had them match the stitching. My seat is perfect - for me.

harrypottar
12-31-2012, 05:00 PM
I notice you have an air hawk cushion. I was looking at them at a dealer the other day. Any advice or thoughts about the air hawk?

thanks, Bernie

I have the standard BRP rt seat and a air hawk R. I stage my riding, I ride on just the seat for 200 miles or so. Then I add the air hawk with minimum air, as I pile on the miles I increase the air. It doesn't take much air at all just a slight amount otherwise you're bouncing around.

I would love to buy a custom seat but with OCD I just can't decide which one, I wish you could rent them to try for 10 days or so. I don't mind the investment just want to make sure it's the right one.

Harry

Ivorspyder
01-01-2013, 06:59 AM
I bought a Corbin seat from another Spyderlover at Lamonsters BBQ.There were many Spyders there with Corbin seats so before I made the purchase got to sit on a number of Spyders.The stitching on the seat matched the stock backrest and I must say its one of the best mods I made.I ride all day without a problem.I also have one of the Walmart $20.00 cushions that Goldwing riders swear by and on long trips use it on various stages.

Ivor:spyder: