PDA

View Full Version : BajaRon Sway Bar

BuddaBelly
12-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Wife just told me she is going to order me a sway :bar for my birthday. She is such a good girl

spydercowboy
12-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Wife and I just put one on. Took right at 2 hours going slow so not to mess up. It's not that hard. Was a little confusing about lifting to frunk up and out. What we ended up doing seem more like just lifting up and then put some blocks of wood in place to keep it there. You'll see once you get there.

Bob Denman
12-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks for that mounting advice! :2thumbs:
When my "window of opportunity" opens; I've got to be ready to jump through it with wrenches in both hands! :thumbup:

Budda,
She's a keeper; no doubt about that! :clap:

ringalls51
01-01-2013, 09:59 PM
hi I bought and installed the sway bar just love it on turns. I was wondering does the plastic bushing need lubrication like liquid graphite. first thought of oil but that would or could cause the plastic bushing to break. the bars that bolt to the end of the bar. oil with be great for that movement. does anyone else have any ideas on this subject.
Thanks for that mounting advice! :2thumbs:
When my "window of opportunity" opens; I've got to be ready to jump through it with wrenches in both hands! :thumbup:

Budda,
She's a keeper; no doubt about that! :clap:

bikeguy
01-01-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm sure BajaRon will weigh in with advice but I don't think the bushings will need any lubrication at all.

Cotton

BajaRon
01-01-2013, 11:59 PM
hi I bought and installed the sway bar just love it on turns. I was wondering does the plastic bushing need lubrication like liquid graphite. first thought of oil but that would or could cause the plastic bushing to break. the bars that bolt to the end of the bar. oil with be great for that movement. does anyone else have any ideas on this subject.

The silicone rubber bushings supplied with the Sway Bar kit do not need any grease or lube. If you do use something make sure it is silicone based or synthetic. Petroleum based products will destroy the bushings. If I were going to do it I would use a silicone spray since there is no good way to grease the bushings once they are installed, and grease will attract dirt.

They grease Poly bushings because they squeak.

ringalls51
01-03-2013, 10:11 PM
thanks now I know do nothing at all.
The silicone rubber bushings supplied with the Sway Bar kit do not need any grease or lube. If you do use something make sure it is silicone based or synthetic. Petroleum based products will destroy the bushings. If I were going to do it I would use a silicone spray since there is no good way to grease the bushings once they are installed, and grease will attract dirt.

They grease Poly bushings because they squeak.

BajaRon
01-03-2013, 11:05 PM
thanks now I know do nothing at all.

That is exactly what I recommend. That and enjoy the ride!

Extracool
01-05-2013, 07:15 PM
An absolute amazing difference in handling, especially with 2 up.the RT now handles like it should, money well spent, highly recommend. Ron, Thanks for a great product

The Bakerman
01-06-2013, 12:48 AM
I installed mine a couple of months ago and the handling difference is amazing. I'm able to handle curves faster and with more stability than the original. I feel more in control and safer than before. The best mod I've installed, by far. Would recommend it to everyone

GeoffCee
01-06-2013, 06:43 PM
An absolute amazing difference in handling, especially with 2 up.the RT now handles like it should, money well spent, highly recommend. Ron, Thanks for a great product

I am waiting for Ron's second production run of swaybars to be available before I can place my order. Went out for our 1st ride of 2013 today on a twisty route through Wales as the temperature climbed to a "balmy" 10 Celsius and I wondered as I traveled through those Welsh bends in the road how they will feel with the new bar fitted. I haven't read a single adverse comment on SpyderLovers from those who already have Ron's bar. This is an amazing testimony to its effectiveness! :thumbup:

Cavman
01-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Well, I got mine about a month ago. Was one of the first. I finally got around to installing it today. I recommend jacking the RT up as far as you can to see what you are doing under there. I put my front wheels on concrete blocks.

It was pretty straight forward in the installation. Getting it aligned was a bit tricky because you can't stand back and look at it. Your face is up close under the bike trying to see things.
Putting the Bumpskid back on was a real booger, getting those screws to align back up. :banghead:

I took the bike for a thrashing in a parking lot. First time I felt like the Spyder was trying to throw me off. Wow! It was great! THANKS Ron!

Now to figure out how to install the rear brake pads I got from Ron?

BajaRon
01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Well, I got mine about a month ago. Was one of the first. I finally got around to installing it today. I recommend jacking the RT up as far as you can to see what you are doing under there. I put my front wheels on concrete blocks.

It was pretty straight forward in the installation. Getting it aligned was a bit tricky because you can't stand back and look at it. Your face is up close under the bike trying to see things.
Putting the Bumpskid back on was a real booger, getting those screws to align back up. :banghead:

I took the bike for a thrashing in a parking lot. First time I felt like the Spyder was trying to throw me off. Wow! It was great! THANKS Ron!

Now to figure out how to install the rear brake pads I got from Ron?

A little clarification on this would help! :yikes:

Cavman
01-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Ron, I was doing some aggressive turns like they made us do when I took the GWRRA Trike driving class several months ago. Back then, the Spyder would really lean and was a bit sloppy. Now it's a lot stiffer. And I can feel more lateral forces on my body. The Spyder corners a whole lot better and at a faster rate. I like it....more control.
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "thrashing" in my post? "Flogging" wouldn't have been much better either. :rolleyes:

BajaRon
01-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Ron, I was doing some aggressive turns like they made us do when I took the GWRRA Trike driving class several months ago. Back then, the Spyder would really lean and was a bit sloppy. Now it's a lot stiffer. And I can feel more lateral forces on my body. The Spyder corners a whole lot better and at a faster rate. I like it....more control.
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "thrashing" in my post? "Flogging" wouldn't have been much better either. :rolleyes:

It wasn't the 'Thrashing' that got my attention. I like to thrash my Spyder in the twisties as well. It was the 'Throwing me off' that got my attention!

Cavman
01-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Yea, I guess that WOULD get my attention if I was thrown off!

Bob Denman
01-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Do they make Grip Puppies in velcro? :shocked:
We don't want to lose you when the roads get interesting! :thumbup:

DougB
01-09-2013, 02:32 PM
I installed Rons sway bar on my 2010 RT last week. Temp here is 48 and windy, but warmer than it has been since the install. Took the RT thru the twisties a few mins. ago and what a difference. Took the curves about 15 mph faster than I used to and if the roads weren't salt slick I could have pushed it harder. The sway bar plus Elkas all around made the handling amazing. Come on Spring!

flybuddy
01-10-2013, 05:25 PM
I installed Rons sway bar on my 2010 RT last week. Temp here is 48 and windy, but warmer than it has been since the install. Took the RT thru the twisties a few mins. ago and what a difference. Took the curves about 15 mph faster than I used to and if the roads weren't salt slick I could have pushed it harder. The sway bar plus Elkas all around made the handling amazing. Come on Spring!

You can always head south...it was a bit cooler here today, only hit 85.

Alberts46
01-10-2013, 05:25 PM
I have had my RT for a year and have been very satisfied with the ride and cornering with everything stock. After reading all the reviews of the BajaRon new sway bar I took the plunge. I ride with a large group twice a week for about 200 miles each ride and today was first time after installation. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in cornering and this is a must have for everyone. I lead the group and most said the RT hardly leans at all going around corners especially at the higher speeds.

Thanks Ron.

ckiblue
01-10-2013, 08:53 PM

Heated gear works really great here in KC, got ours in from Gerbing, jacket liner & gloves & took the spyder out. so much fun now we can ride so much more, don't have to wait on spring :doorag: nice & toasty.

StriperKing
01-10-2013, 09:02 PM
I have had my RT for a year and have been very satisfied with the ride and cornering with everything stock. After reading all the reviews of the BajaRon new sway bar I took the plunge. I ride with a large group twice a week for about 200 miles each ride and today was first time after installation. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in cornering and this is a must have for everyone. I lead the group and most said the RT hardly leans at all going around corners especially at the higher speeds.

Thanks Ron.
I am like you except I am never satisfied if you can make it better, lol but after reading all the comments I had to order one also, waiting for him to get the new batch in. Hope I am just as thrilled as all of you have been.

sergentwoody
01-11-2013, 07:21 AM
nobody broked the plastic swaybar link?

Bob Denman
01-11-2013, 07:24 AM
:shocked: :yikes: Do you have any pictures of the carnage?? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif

BajaRon
01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
nobody broked the plastic swaybar link?

The Heim Joint Links are not plastic as we normally think of it. They are some kind of very rugged and strong composite compound. I have heard of them developing cracks (from contact with hard parts) but I have never heard of a failure.

I know that because the EVO sway bars had a shorter arm length (reducing the already small clearance) and because they did not have collars (allowing side to side movement) some Heim Joint Links were hitting the A-Arm, which of course is not good.

I have seen Spyders with this kind of contact where a small notch was worn in the steel A-Arm and I could not see any wear or damage to the Heim Joint Link. These links are very tough.