PDA

View Full Version : RS load limit compaired to the RT

Frank G
12-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Knowing that BRP put a 450 Lb. load limit on the RS and I think a 525Lb. load limit on the RT plus the additional weight of the RT plus the ability to tow a trailer what is the real difference in the bikes? What is different? Frame, Tires, Wheels and bearings, Breaks, Suspension, Engine and Transmission, anything else. Please put your 2 cents in, what is the same, what changes.:chat:

Sarge707
12-28-2012, 09:44 PM
The 08-12 GS/RS is 698 Pounds and the 2010-2012 year RT,s 928 Pounds or about 230 Pounds heavier!!

How you load it will determine your "Flight Characteristic,s?":yikes:

NancysToy
12-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Ergonomics is a big difference!

Bob Denman
12-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Good question, Frank! :thumbup:
Tires, wheels, brakes: same.
Engine: the RTs were tuned for more torque/less horsepower at lower rpm levels
gearing:????
suspension: The RTs are setup out back for simpler adjustments. The RSs have a narrower track up front; shorter A-arm and different wheels offset.
The RTs have way more electronics; that allows for the trailer mode capability
Frame?? Not sure about the specifics, but they're pretty dang similar! Rear suspension mounts differ due to shock differences.

Frank G
12-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks Bob, looks like they widened the front and beefed up the shocks (springs) to handle the extra loads. This, along with the computer tuning gave the RT its good handling characteristics. I have a 2011 RS and occasionally overload it 525 lbs. (I'm sure I am not the first one) At that point you have to be careful in the curves. Going for a BAJA RON torsion bar to help improve the cornering and thinking about a Elka for the rear, although bottoming out has not been an issue:coffee:.

DrewNJ
12-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Just a quick parts search and it appears the RT/RS frame and rear swing arm carry the same part numbers. The RT/RS upper and lower front arms are different part numbers. This is for 2012. Funny to is that the lower RT arms are about $20ea cheaper than the RS arms....hmmmm... Obviously shocks are different part numbers but interchange.