PDA

View Full Version : Temp Reading- AAPTS

Lamonster
03-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I think I know why our temp on our gage is so far off, the Ambient Air Pressure Temperature Sensor or AAPTS is located on the right duct panel and is reading the air flow to the intake. As far as I can tell that is the same reading we are getting on our temp gage and that can be as far off as 16 degrees and most of the time when the Spyder is running it's at least 10 degrees off. Bottomline is the air under the panel is hotter than the open air so that's why it's so far off. I added a little stick-on gage to see what the real temps are. This is a cheap one so I'll be adding a better one soon.

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/3/7012480132.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic/7807822)

LittleJohn
03-11-2008, 12:37 PM
That makes sense that they would avoid adding another sensor just for reading real temps (cost effective)
Reading the actual temp headed for the intake (to me) is more crucial than knowing the temperature Im riding in, as the computer needs to know what its getting, not whats freezing my fingers off...LOL

My ST1300 had a sensor just in front of the radiator behind the front wheel. While the bike was moving, it was actually quite accurate, but when standing still, the engine heat would affect it quite a bit.

Director
03-12-2008, 08:38 AM
That makes sense that they would avoid adding another sensor just for reading real temps (cost effective)
Reading the actual temp headed for the intake (to me) is more crucial than knowing the temperature Im riding in, as the computer needs to know what its getting, not whats freezing my fingers off...LOL

My ST1300 had a sensor just in front of the radiator behind the front wheel. While the bike was moving, it was actually quite accurate, but when standing still, the engine heat would affect it quite a bit.

LittleJohn, do you still have your ST? I will probably be selling my Kawasaki Concours this summer to have a larger down payment on my Spyder. The Connie is a great bike and I would like to keep it, but this just wouldn't make financial sense for me. :'(
Cheers,
Bruce

LittleJohn
03-12-2008, 10:22 AM
LittleJohn, do you still have your ST? I will probably be selling my Kawasaki Concours this summer to have a larger down payment on my Spyder. The Connie is a great bike and I would like to keep it, but this just wouldn't make financial sense for me. :'(
Cheers,
Bruce

Nope, Im currently bikeless (except for a basket case GS850). I sold both the ST1300 and an LC1500 when I was diagnosed with my foot problems. I knew if I didnt get rid of them, they would just sit and rot, until I got on em and rode when I wasnt supposed to...LOL

Way2Fast
03-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Nope, Im currently bikeless (except for a basket case GS850). I sold both the ST1300 and an LC1500 when I was diagnosed with my foot problems. I knew if I didnt get rid of them, they would just sit and rot, until I got on em and rode when I wasnt supposed to...LOL

Does that mean that you also sold the little red trike you are using in your avitar ?? LOL

Richard

LittleJohn
03-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Does that mean that you also sold the little red trike you are using in your avitar ?? LOL

Richard

I actually never held the title on that one..LOL
I borrowed it for aphoto op from a friends two twin daughters.

Lamonster
03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Made a correction on my first post. The sensor is on the right duct, not the left. I knew where it was but my brain was playing trick on me again. Man I wish I could do the 70's over again. :redfaced: ;D