PDA

View Full Version : DSP light/VSS/Limp Mode after oil change??

H8TKTZ
12-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Hello All,

I am new here and and need some help; I recently inherited my brother's 2008 SE5 and gave it an oil change. After the oil change (both oil & tranny filters changed) took the bike out for a run and the DSP & Vss light came on one after the other and went into limp mode? Can anyone tell me why this happened after an oil change? The bike only has 6000 miles.... SMH:dontknow:

NancysToy
12-27-2012, 05:18 PM
You need to pull up the active fault codes on the display before we can even guess as to a cause...or have your dealer hook it up to BUDS. I doubt the limp mode and the oil change were related.

Best guesses:
1. Low battery - charge it
2. Loose relays in front fuse box - make sure they are well seated
3. Something was knocked loose while you were working on it, possibly an ABS sensor or wire - inspect carefully

Bob Denman
12-27-2012, 05:46 PM
STOOOPID question...
Are you sure that you put the correct amount of dino-squeezins' back in??:dontknow:

NautiBrit
12-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Check your lights and fuses. The oil change and limp mode may be coincidental.

H8TKTZ
12-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Check your lights and fuses. The oil change and limp mode may be coincidental.

Thank you I will check that!!

H8TKTZ
12-30-2012, 01:22 AM
STOOOPID question...
Are you sure that you put the correct amount of dino-squeezins' back in??:dontknow:

Deleted comment!

H8TKTZ
12-30-2012, 01:24 AM
You need to pull up the active fault codes on the display before we can even guess as to a cause...or have your dealer hook it up to BUDS. I doubt the limp mode and the oil change were related.

Best guesses:
1. Low battery - charge it
2. Loose relays in front fuse box - make sure they are well seated
3. Something was knocked loose while you were working on it, possibly an ABS sensor or wire - inspect carefully

I will do that next time, thank you for the advice i will check everything you mentioned in the morning!

Techno-Spyder
12-30-2012, 03:27 AM
And so I meet the post whore! Always an E thug on every forum; use spell check next time! STUPID!

I'm sure you have miss-read Bob's post. I think you will find he is referring to himself, in so much as "This maybe a stupid question, but, did you put the correct amount of oil back in".
No thuggery was intended, least I think not !!

Bob Denman
12-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for having my back... That was my intent.
But "Post whore" and "E-thug on every forum"?? c'mon...

H8TKTZ
12-30-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm sure you have miss-read Bob's post. I think you will find he is referring to himself, in so much as "This maybe a stupid question, but, did you put the correct amount of oil back in".
No thuggery was intended, least I think not !!

I just re read it an see where he was coming from!

H8TKTZ
12-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks for having my back... That was my intent.
But "Post whore" and "E-thug on every forum"?? c'mon...

I apologize Bob! I have been reacking my brains and dealer wont help; very frustrating by doing a simple oil change and then coincidentally this happens! Once again I apoglogize:opps::opps:

Frank G
12-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Search some old posts, your not the first one to go into limp mode after a oil and filter change. If I remember correctly it will correct itself. In other words start it, let it warm up, ride it a few miles. DO MAKE SURE IT HAS THE PROPER AMOUNT OF OIL IN IT. and no leaks.

eddieshep999
12-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Search some old posts, your not the first one to go into limp mode after a oil and filter change. If I remember correctly it will correct itself. In other words start it, let it warm up, ride it a few miles. DO MAKE SURE IT HAS THE PROPER AMOUNT OF OIL IN IT. and no leaks.

I visited a friend yesterday and he had done an oil change and had some faults displayed and a fault code - When I got home I sent him
an e mail with the following information :-

Spyder Info for you

How to check fault codes - On your RT - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2ORFxBtyJU4

Paul I think your fault code was P524 - if it was this should help solve it

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?46720-Oil-change-Engine-light-Fault-codes&highlight=FAULT+CODE

He contacted me a couple of hours ago to say - Sorted the fault

So hopefully it was the above problem and the solution

This may help

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

Bob Denman
12-31-2012, 07:36 AM
I apologize Bob! I have been reacking my brains and dealer wont help; very frustrating by doing a simple oil change and then coincidentally this happens! Once again I apoglogize:opps::opps:

Hey! NO apologies amongst friends are needed. :thumbup: It's my own peculiar style that bit me on the butt here; I can see how it could be interpreted in other ways... The only reason I mentioned oil leverls, is because these bikes have such a specific methodology to checking it.

H8TKTZ
01-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Thank you I will check that!

H8TKTZ
01-06-2013, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=eddieshep999;554158]I visited a friend yesterday and he had done an oil change and had some faults displayed and a fault code - When I got home I sent him
an e mail with the following information :-

Spyder Info for you

How to check fault codes - On your RT - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2ORFxBtyJU4

Paul I think your fault code was P524 - if it was this should help solve it

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?46720-Oil-change-Engine-light-Fault-codes&highlight=FAULT+CODE

He contacted me a couple of hours ago to say - Sorted the fault

So hopefully it was the above problem and the solution

This may help

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK[/QUOThank you!!!!!