PDA

View Full Version : Panel Mounted Port Ideas Needed

gnirtsnod
12-23-2012, 08:48 PM
For those who have not noticed, it's cold. Having stated the obvious, I want to mount a rider and passenger port for connecting our Gerbing liners/gloves. There is no shortage of panel (Tupperware) to mount the port so I'm deferring to forum members to get some ideas on where best to locate them. I ride the 2012 RT-S.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-panel-mounted-port

NancysToy
12-23-2012, 10:55 PM
There is a lot less than you think. The inner panel leaves very few places where a Powerlet will fit, and a cigarette outlet would be a nightmare. The Gerbing port may be easier, but there is still going to be little room for error. I mounted Powerlets in the corners near the dash panel with my first RT, and had to adjust one of the outlets. Even at that, the dash panel never did fit quite right on that side. On my second RT, I took the easy way out and installed Powerlets in the speaker panels. Real easy, since the panels pop right out, and lots of room behind. Easier to snake the wire to, also. I mounted an additional outlet in the rear, where the optional passenger communications port would normally fit. I prefer the Powerlet (or Gerbing BMW-type) outlets because they are more versatile. You can plug in a variety of electrical accessories. I use one for my GPS. Powerlet and Gerbing make adapters to heated gear.

We have also just used coax harnesses under the seat, but it is good to have a way to secure them when not in use. I have not seen the Gerbing flush mount outlets in your link, but they may be nice if they suit your needs. I would not mount them into a body panel that is frequently removed for maintenance, but the speaker grills or the panels under the passenger grips would work well.

Bob Denman
12-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Could you hide them in th top trunk and then run the cords out when needed? Or does the lid fit too tightly for that? :dontknow:

viperryder
12-24-2012, 08:45 AM
For those who have not noticed, it's cold. Having stated the obvious, I want to mount a rider and passenger port for connecting our Gerbing liners/gloves. There is no shortage of panel (Tupperware) to mount the port so I'm deferring to forum members to get some ideas on where best to locate them. I ride the 2012 RT-S.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-panel-mounted-port

I actually put the Gerbing connections and mounted them to the battery. The tails hang out the side of the plastic, but they don't look that bad. Have both front and back connections for both driver and passenger. Good luck.:yes:
:yes::clap:

bmwlarry
12-24-2012, 01:32 PM
I too have mine attacked directly to the battery with supplied fused cables. I leave my wife's under the seat all the time when not in use but keep mine snaked out and stretched out, lying between the rear part of the seat and passenger handgrip. Its long enough to grab and use when I need it.

ridesilver2009
12-24-2012, 03:26 PM
I too have the fused Gerbing harness wires attached to the battery. They remain under the seat till needed. Plenty of gap under the seat to route them when it's cold.
Warm Ryding

eddieshep999
12-24-2012, 03:58 PM
On my Spyder RT-S SE5 2010 Model I have fitted two Din type power sockets - These can can be converted to normal car cigarette plug
style sockets using adapters or made up leads (See Photos)

1 - One is fitted in the blank switch space in the centre position on the accessories switches e.g. Heated Grips, Electronic Brake switch etc
located just above the glove box - This can be used by the Driver

2 - Second one is located on the rear LHS in the handgrip where the rear heated handgrip switch is located - This is ideal for a
Passenger to use

Either can be used as they are live all the time for connection to a battery tender to keep the battery charged up

I have posted some photos of the Power sockets and their location - Hope this helps

{NOTE}

The power sockets have covers on them to protect them from the weather when not in use - The rear socket is located under the rear speaker as well which offers more protection

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

gnirtsnod
12-25-2012, 10:41 AM
1 - One is fitted in the blank switch space in the centre position on the accessories switches e.g. Heated Grips, Electronic Brake switch etc
located just above the glove box - This can be used by the Driver

I planned to install the permanent dual controller in this space if allowable (I hate the belt controller and the dangling wires). I definitely plan to use the back location, but still have to figure out the location for her dual controller.

Thanks to all who contributed thoughts, pictures, and experiences.

sinkhole
12-26-2012, 12:49 PM
As Scotty mentions, it's a stinker finding a place to mount the controller without removing most of the front panels. I managed to sneak the controller and led into the area just behind the front speakers, and alongside the steering column. The Gerbing plug-in port, I mounted alongside the seat in the panel adjacent to the rear seat grips. 5914559146

Bob Denman
12-26-2012, 12:54 PM
That looks like a pretty slick setup! :2thumbs: :firstplace: