PDA

View Full Version : Saw spyder at home show, but price seemed high

greenmntpass
03-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Well I traveled home this weekend down to Pittsfield Ma. and saw a Spyder at local mall on display. The dealer was taking part in the local home show. I think the spyder look awesome in person. The brochures don't do them justice. It was a yellow Spyder on display it had the touring windshield, highnd wheels, and fog lights for 16,500.
Maybe with those access. 16,500. I asked the saleman what happened to 14,500? He said the yellow was more (special color, I knew that) but basically they could get what they wanted for them. This kind of scared me seeing how I want to order a SE5 this summer and thinking the price will hru the roof. The saleman couldn't tell me the price for an SE5. Is this going to be a trend for a while? It was so funny talking to the salesman knowing what I know (half from this site), I told him you've got to show these people the trunk, "oh yea he says". Tell them about the backrest for passengers. Anyway I hope prices don't go too crazy.

Director
03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Well I traveled home this weekend down to Pittsfield Ma. and saw a Spyder at local mall on display. The dealer was taking part in the local home show. I think the spyder look awesome in person. The brochures don't do them justice. It was a yellow Spyder on display it had the touring windshield, highnd wheels, and fog lights for 16,500.
Maybe with those access. 16,500. I asked the saleman what happened to 14,500? He said the yellow was more (special color, I knew that) but basically they could get what they wanted for them. This kind of scared me seeing how I want to order a SE5 this summer and thinking the price will hru the roof. The saleman couldn't tell me the price for an SE5. Is this going to be a trend for a while? It was so funny talking to the salesman knowing what I know (half from this site), I told him you've got to show these people the trunk, "oh yea he says". Tell them about the backrest for passengers. Anyway I hope prices don't go too crazy.

The MSRP for the Spyder was never $14,500. It was initially $14,999, but as of December 1, 2007 the U.S. MSRP was $15,499. The roadster you were looking at had the following options: yellow paint, $400.00; custom wheels, $499.99, fog lights, $399.99, touring windshield, $159.99. I make that total to be about $16,660, so the salesman was right.

The SE5 will retail for $16,999 USD - this is without any options.

Cheers,

Bruce

morgcl
03-10-2008, 09:37 AM
and when the stealership adds shipping, putting it together and other bull s**t you can add another 2k to the price and dont forget sales tax.

greenmntpass
03-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Guess I gotta save a little more! The red is also the extra color option right?

jeuchler
03-10-2008, 02:59 PM
... I traveled home this weekend down to Pittsfield Ma. and saw a Spyder at local mall on display. The dealer was taking part in the local home show....It was a yellow Spyder on display it had the touring windshield, highnd wheels, and fog lights for 16,500....

Too bad the dealer rep seemed a bit cocky and not well-informed, according to your description.

That particular dealer (Pittsfield Lawn & Tractor) is where I bought my Spyder last April, and I would recommend them based on their "pre-delivery service" thus far.

They gave me the bottom line a week and a half ago, and he hadn't added any extra $ on, so I'm content so far (especially after hearing the stories out of Arizona.)

Mine will supposedly be in by end of March...

Director
03-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Guess I gotta save a little more! The red is also the extra color option right?

That's right. Same as yellow.

greenmntpass
03-10-2008, 03:36 PM
:bigthumbsup: Jeuchler you must be excited! At the home show Doug was the sales rep I talked with. Don't get me wrong he was great. Very pleasant. He just wasn't offering up to people the cool features like DPS, VSS, ABS, TCS etc. If you mentioned an item he pretty much knew the answer. 30 years ago my best freind and spent our winter afternoons snowmobiling behind the dealership when it was Crescent Creamery.

jeuchler
03-10-2008, 04:34 PM
:bigthumbsup: Jeuchler you must be excited! At the home show Doug was the sales rep I talked with. Don't get me wrong he was great. Very pleasant. He just wasn't offering up to people the cool features like DPS, VSS, ABS, TCS etc. If you mentioned an item he pretty much knew the answer. 30 years ago my best freind and spent our winter afternoons snowmobiling behind the dealership when it was Crescent Creamery.

That's good. Like I said, the folks at PLT seemed mellow and helpful, and not into promising anything that was beyond their control and really dependent on BRP behavior.

Where in VT are you? How close are you to purchasing?? :spyder:

greenmntpass
03-11-2008, 06:17 AM
8) Were up here in the middle of ice kingdom, Middlebury, halfway up rt. 7, two and a half hours from Pittsfield. We will be ordering a SE5 this spring.

jeuchler
03-11-2008, 04:04 PM
8) Were up here in the middle of ice kingdom..

Ice kingdom! Better get a studded snow tire on that SE5 when it comes!

We're in Clarksburg, spitting distance to VT.

djmiceluv
03-12-2008, 07:27 AM
8) Were up here in the middle of ice kingdom, Middlebury, halfway up rt. 7, two and a half hours from Pittsfield. We will be ordering a SE5 this spring.

i'm located in Springfield VT. i pick my spyder up tomorrow after a 10 month wait. i'm very excited! maybe we can meet up for a ride when you get yours later on! i bought mine in Barre MA @ Higgins Powersports.

greenmntpass
03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
:congrats: dj. How sweet is it going to cruise the green mountains on your spyder. Pick a route, 125, 100, 9, 2 they are all awesome. Choose to ride the mountains or the champlain valley, or cruise to Lake George. The possiblities are endless. Enjoy my freind!!

mrb
03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Price seems high? I understand the Gold Coast (Australia) dealer has 20 (two deliveries of 10) and aims to have them all pre delivered and ready to go tomorrow (Thursday) . I am told I should (hope, hope) be able to collect mine tomorrow. Being the day before Easter I will not be surprised if I don't get it.

For all of you in the USA that have complained about price. Mine, with backrest, touring screen,handlebar spacer and power outlet, including freight and pre-delivery totaled $29,735 aus which is around $27,600 US by my calculation. These Australian Spyders really do have a "bite"! :edit:

jeuchler
03-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Price seems high? ...For all of you in the USA that have complained about price. Mine, with backrest, touring screen,handlebar spacer and power outlet, including freight and pre-delivery totaled $29,735 aus which is around $27,600 US by my calculation...

I hesitate to ask :(:

How much is a gallon of 87 octane in your neck of Australia?

(By the way, 1 USD = 1.07 AUD and 1 AUD = 0.93 USD, right?)

mrb
03-18-2008, 05:37 PM
1 Gallon US is 3.79 litres. We are currently paying around $1.40 to $1.50 per litre, so that would be about $5.50 aus per gallon?? $5.10 US per gallon at 93 cents Ozzie to the US dollar.

jeuchler
03-22-2008, 08:44 PM
... We are currently paying...about...$5.10 US per gallon

Oh, OUCH! :(

(Enjoy every mile on that Spyder!)