PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Vapor Canister Vent Hose Inspection/Replacement

ShawnFZR
12-21-2012, 01:32 PM
A new Safety Bulletin (2010-12) was posted this morning for Spyder GS & RS SM5 & SE5 models.

From BRP's Bulletin:

What is the potential problem?
In some circumstances, fuel vapors may exit the fuel vapor canister vent hose in the enclosed engine
compartment. Fuel vapors in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire.

Which models are involved?
Can-Am Roadster 2008 to 2010 (Spyder GS and RS Series).

What will BRP do?
For dealers: BRP is publishing a Safety Campaign Bulletin giving the procedure to inspect the fuel
vapor canister vent hose and if required to replace and re-route it.
For customers: BRP is sending to all known registered owners a Safety Recall letter. This letter urges
that the owners immediately contact their authorized BRP dealer in order to have the vehicle repaired.
The solution is the inspection of the fuel vapor canister vent hose to determine if the proper hose is
installed and if required the replacement and re-routing of the fuel vapor canister vent hose.

Have any questions? Contact me (http://www.procaliberlongview.com)

Have a great day!

BajaRon
12-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Don't need it if you don't have it! :yes:

Rando
12-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Fuel vapors in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire.Arcing plug wires perhaps?

BajaRon
12-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Arcing plug wires perhaps?

Ooohhhh! Ouch!!! :yikes:

Wright2743
12-22-2012, 01:53 AM
Would this be the hose that some of use have pulled and plugged?

Mo Lee
12-22-2012, 05:18 AM
I rerouted mine all the way to the rear swingarm over 2 years ago, now all I have to do is clean the fuel/oil residue off the swingarm. 6 months later BRP started routing them down to the bottom, by the radiator, and at least out from under the tupperware. Maybe some of them was missed and that is the reason for the recall.

NancysToy
12-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Would this be the hose that some of use have pulled and plugged?
No, it is the atmospheric vent hose from the canister (the "other" one). Some early Spyders were equipped with a short, U-shaped hose that vented near the canister. Many of these were replaced under a previous Service Bulletin, but any owner who receives notification of this aspect of the recall should have their dealer inspect the Spyder to be sure it is corrected, and that the repair has been properly documented. Please do not ignore this recall if it affects you! Wait for the official notice, then see your dealer.

billybovine
12-22-2012, 10:48 AM
My 09 GS still has the short U shaped hose. I purchased it used from the dealer they reported that all outstanding recalls and service bulletin issues that applied were done. This summer when I questioned the service manager at the dealer about why I still had the short vent hose. He told me that mine was not covered under the campaign to install the new vent hose. I was confused and was going to investigate more but with many good intentions I had not got around to it yet. Maybe this recall is to cover the ones that had been missed.

oldgoat
12-22-2012, 11:22 AM
When I bought my '08 GS used Spyder from the dealer in June he assured me all the recalls had been done.

As I happen to have the tupperware off at the moment & just went & looked

I have the short "U" tube on the cannister.

I am perfectly capable of extending it. Any suggestions where to? (socially acceptable ones please)

Marker
12-22-2012, 11:27 AM
A new Safety Bulletin (2010-12) was posted this morning for Spyder GS & RS SM5 & SE5 models.

From BRP's Bulletin:

What is the potential problem?
In some circumstances, fuel vapors may exit the fuel vapor canister vent hose in the enclosed engine
compartment. Fuel vapors in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire.

Which models are involved?
Can-Am Roadster 2008 to 2010 (Spyder GS and RS Series).

What will BRP do?
For dealers: BRP is publishing a Safety Campaign Bulletin giving the procedure to inspect the fuel
vapor canister vent hose and if required to replace and re-route it.
For customers: BRP is sending to all known registered owners a Safety Recall letter. This letter urges
that the owners immediately contact their authorized BRP dealer in order to have the vehicle repaired.
The solution is the inspection of the fuel vapor canister vent hose to determine if the proper hose is
installed and if required the replacement and re-routing of the fuel vapor canister vent hose.

Have any questions? Contact me (http://www.procaliberlongview.com)

Have a great day!

Read that on the Ontario Spyder Ryders face book page the other day. Thanks for posting the bulletins

billybovine
12-22-2012, 11:56 AM
When I bought my '08 GS used Spyder from the dealer in June he assured me all the recalls had been done.

As I happen to have the tupperware off at the moment & just went & looked

I have the short "U" tube on the cannister.

I am perfectly capable of extending it. Any suggestions where to? (socially acceptable ones please)

Now that a new recall has been issued I am going to see if the dealer will put on the new hose.

Sarge707
12-22-2012, 12:38 PM
I Re-routed my hose to the front of the cannister so it doesn,t drop on the exhaust pipe. I may run an extended hose BUT I have never filled the tank All the way or come close to topping it off so there has Never been any gas in the cannister!nojoke

Wright2743
12-23-2012, 01:33 AM
No, it is the atmosheric vent hose from the canister (the "other" one). Some early Spyders were equipped with a short, U-shaped hose that vented near the canister. Many of these were replaced under a previous Service Bulletin, but any owner who receives notification of this aspect of the recall should have their dealer inspect the Spyder to be sure it is corrected, and that the repair has been properly documented. Please do not ignore this recall if it affects you! Wait for the official notice, then see your dealer.

Thanks Scotty I have yet to get the paperwork but I know my 08GS still has the short hose. Like alot of people Have previously stated I was assured by my dealer upon purchase that all recalls were completed. :gaah:

NancysToy
12-23-2012, 07:43 AM
To clear up some of the confusion, the vent hose replacement was not previously specified for all the Spyders that had the short vent. I'm not sure why, but there were probably more that were not mentioned in the service bulletin than ones that were. You should get a letter regarding yours. If you have the short hose, see your dealer after you are notified. This is a recall, so it should cost you nothing.

Bob Denman
12-23-2012, 09:51 AM
And this is in no way an issue for RTs? Is it because of the different airbox configuration?
Well; Good Luck to you guys getting the proper parts! :thumbup: Please let us all know what the dealers have to say about it...

JJW SpyderRider
12-23-2012, 01:02 PM
My 09 GS still has the short U shaped hose. I purchased it used from the dealer they reported that all outstanding recalls and service bulletin issues that applied were done. This summer when I questioned the service manager at the dealer about why I still had the short vent hose. He told me that mine was not covered under the campaign to install the new vent hose. I was confused and was going to investigate more but with many good intentions I had not got around to it yet. Maybe this recall is to cover the ones that had been missed.

My dealer told me the same thing when I asked to have the hose exended. I don't know why one '09 GS with a short hose needs the update but another '09 GS with the short does not :dontknow:. I don't have the '09 anymore but I hope the new owner has a good dealer that wil take care of him.

wyliec
12-24-2012, 07:16 AM
My dealer told me the same thing when I asked to have the hose exended. I don't know why one '09 GS with a short hose needs the update but another '09 GS with the short does not :dontknow:. I don't have the '09 anymore but I hope the new owner has a good dealer that wil take care of him.

Same here. Then, I contacted Carlo, who at the time was to go to guy at BRP, and he couldn't explain the s/n cutoff. However, he sent my dealer an e-mail and copied me on it to have to vent hose replaced.

billybovine
12-24-2012, 11:20 AM
I got my recall notice in the mail today. So when I take it out of storage in the spring I will get it done.

JJW SpyderRider
12-24-2012, 01:18 PM
I got my RT-S in July and the welcome packet a month or so later but never got the oil change side panel coupon. My dealer was able to get the panels for me after calling BRP. I just wonder if I will have to go the same route for the gas cap? Maybe I'll get the letter for my old GS and just use it for the RT.

ridesilver2009
12-24-2012, 02:35 PM

The replacemrnt hose was a part of SB2009-4, Sept. 28, 2009, titled "Engine Performance Optimization" which stated "Repair only if described symptoms exist or are noticed" This was not ar recall but under a "Quality" bulletin refering to. "Performance issues of vehicles running poorly between 3,000 and 4,000rpm followinfg DPS replacement." I learned about this from Spyderlovers forum and installed the replacement hose without moving the radiator as listed in the instruction. BRP should have replaced the short hoses long before now..
Good Luck abd Good Ryding

mcaccamise
12-26-2012, 06:53 AM
The gas cap should be sent directly from BRP to the owners home bypassing the Dealer other than floor modles.

spyderdips
01-06-2013, 12:34 PM
I received the notice today in the mail. I have a 09 RS. The vehicle in winterized currently, so will schedule a trip to the dealership in a couple of months or so.