PDA

View Full Version : Is a Spyder RT Tough enough?

oldfarmerboy
12-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Ive been looking at :spyder2: RT or a Goldwing. I really would like the :spyder2: but some of the trip's I would like to do are Alaska and ridding the continental divide. There will be a few rock and dirt roads { maybe allot }. Will I just be asking for trouble on the:spyder2: Can the belt be inclosed some how? Maybe a sprocket and chain kit for :spyder2: on these trips or just chose second best :sour: the Goldwing?

ARtraveler
12-20-2012, 06:45 PM
You may have come to a somewhat biased forum for the complete answer to your question. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

RE: gravel roads--I would recommend the spyderpops belt cover. Those that have them say they do a good job in protecting the belt. Don't know of any chain conversion kit available for :ani29: Belts are about $350 to replace including labor.

There have been mechanical issues mentioned with :spyder2:, but that happens with all brands. The big problem I see for remote trips is the lack of dealers to assist with mechanical repairs. The GW has the reputation of having less problems on the long haul--but that all depends on who you talk too.

Just my .02. You will hear more.

spydercowboy
12-20-2012, 06:54 PM
The wing just plain has a proving track record. But for rough roads I'm not so sure. The ones I've seen seem to have less ground clearance than the Spyder. And you can get an extra belt guard from Spyderpops that may help with belt issues. Since we are new to the Spyder I'm not at all qualified to say it will make it no problems or not. I'm also not sure what kind of dealer distribution is like for a trip to Alaska. I bet it's 6 one half a dozen the other as far as which trike would be best though.

eagle
12-20-2012, 07:02 PM
i also would like to make a trip to Alaska, and wonder about the same things as mentioned above. i have an 08 GS with only 35000 miles on it. have never had any problems so far, but on trip that long what would all be needed to bring with? anyone out there that has done this trip could give advice? thank you

ARtraveler
12-20-2012, 07:58 PM
RE: Alaska trip. There are at least three who have posted about their trips to Alaska. All had some type of mechanical issues--but managed to get them solved. The only Alaska dealers are in the Anchorage/Eagle River/Wasilla area.

Yazz
12-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Have a '09 GS that went to Alaska and back. Spydee ran like a champ. Hubby was on a BMW R1200GS with knobbies. We went down some pretty rough roads.

Have ridden with some GW's, nice bikes, but would try to keep them on paved roads in Alaska. Also on a GW, you have to be comfortable riding through long stretches of mud or gravel between the paved spots.

What to take... a SPOT, The Mile Post magazine, SpyderPops belt guard, his new skid plate, tools, a camera, and AAA RV insurance. Carry extra gas if you're going to out of the way places.

There are two dealerships around the Anchorage area. AKspyderman can help you with that, he's the go to guy for everything Alaskan.

Glad more people want to make the trip. It's awesome!

Yazz
12-20-2012, 08:11 PM
RE: Alaska trip. There are at least three who have posted about their trips to Alaska. All had some type of mechanical issues--but managed to get them solved. The only Alaska dealers are in the Anchorage/Eagle River/Wasilla area.

Yup, my belt delaminated to the point of no return at Lake Louise. Had to get a tow to Calgary. $$$$

Thats why I included the AAA RV insurance. The tow truck driver said if we had that insurance, no money out of our pocket.

Live and learn...

NancysToy
12-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Neither is suitable for a lot of rough/dirt roads. Get a BMW GS or a similar adventure bike.

kls89027
12-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Ive been looking at :spyder2: RT or a Goldwing. I really would like the :spyder2: but some of the trip's I would like to do are Alaska and ridding the continental divide. There will be a few rock and dirt roads { maybe allot }. Will I just be asking for trouble on the:spyder2: Can the belt be inclosed some how? Maybe a sprocket and chain kit for :spyder2: on these trips or just chose second best :sour: the Goldwing?

One spec you'll want to look at is suspension travel. Being an old dirt bike rider, on some pretty poor trails, I can attest that more suspension is better than less suspension. The GL has about 4.8" front/4.1" rear, while the RT has 6.85" front/6.0" rear. At first, the GL's travel may seem adequate, but you need to figure you'll loose about an inch due to "squish" when you set down on it. The last inch is very hard, and you don't want to go there. That only leaves you with about 2.8" of working travel on the front.
Do you think that is enough?

wfdfirech3
12-20-2012, 09:53 PM
I live on a 1.5 mile long gravel road and have owned Harley's and a 2008 Goldwing, sold the Goldwing in April to buy the Spyder (knee problems) The Goldwing was real hard to control on the gravel road during dry spells when the gravel was very dry and loose, after putting 6000+ miles on my RT S this summer I would never go back to a Goldwing while living on this road. I installed Spyderpops rock shield and did not have a rock problem. I also road on a lot of gravel backroads this this summer with no issues. I am a happy Spyder owner.:yes:Once Spyder never go back.

liketoride2
12-20-2012, 11:37 PM

What do you mean by "riding the continental divide?" If you are referring to the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route," which was described by Clement Salvadori of Rider magazine as the greatest ride he'd ever taken in North America, neither a Gold Wing or Spyder is appropriate. As the name implies, this route was created by mountain bikers but the great majority of it can also be ridden by dirt worthy motorcycles. It's about 85% two track, 5-10% single track, and 5-10% paved. It stretches between Banff, Alberta and Antelope Wells, NM, on the US-Mexico border. Some of it could be ridden by a GW or Spyder but most of it would be difficult and not enjoyable on either of these machines, and some of the Route would be dangerous and neerly impossible (such as Lava Mountain Trail and Fleecer Ridge, in Montana). Even a larger dual sport/adventure bike, such as the R1200GS Bmw, has a difficult time on some of the terrain on this Route.

I own a Spyder, two dual sport bikes, and a dirt bike, and once owned a GW, and am an experienced dirt bike rider. I have ridden all of the Great Divide Route except Colorado, and the few stretches elsewhere that are off limits to motorized vehicles. Given that background my advice would be don't even think about doing the Great Divide Route on either a GW or Spyder, it that is what you were referring to as the continental divide.

My wife and I love our Spyder RT for two up touring but IMHO it is not a good off-pavement vehicle. It has very little ground clearance or suspension travel, and surprisingly poor traction, especially when attempting to climb on gravel or dirt. Certainly it can be gotten down a maintained gravel road without difficulty, but anything more difficult than that is not pleasant, at least as I see it.

I have never ridden from the lower 48 to Alaska, but I don't know of any reason this could not be enjoyably done on a Spyder, and in fact my wife and I are considering doing that some day. My understanding is that the highway is fully paved except for construction zones which can be fairly numerous because all repair work must be done over a short summer season.

Hope this is of some help. If you are referring to some other continental divide route I'm not familiar with it, and the comments above may not apply.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

Dragonrider
12-21-2012, 12:50 AM
I've owned Goldwings, Valkyries, BMWs, v-Rods, Magnas, and lots more. None can hold a candle to a Spyder on a gravel road (the SpyderPops guard is a help). I still love my V-rod on short runs on paved roads, but around town, or on a long ride, the Spyder can't be beat for safety and comfort.

JMHO

Bob Denman
12-21-2012, 08:02 AM
I agree with Scotty...
Both will do it; neither will dig it... :shocked:
There are better choices available. :thumbup:

gypsy_100
12-21-2012, 05:29 PM

I did the trip this summer (PA to Alaska) and had no issues. Great ride. Do it again in a flash. But I didn't go off-road or on gravel roads. Posted my trip summary after I got back. Recommendations: Study the current edition of Milepost thoroughly and then plan your route. Heed their advice re gas stations, etc. We took the Cassiar Highway up to where it tees into the Alcan Highway and recommend it.

pellcitypete
12-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Hello my name is pete, bought my spyder last fall main reason was to make a trip from ala. to Wichita Kansas then back to Mississippi an home 3,000 miles. some gravel roads but not many. the reason I'm replying is rite before our trip(wife) my spyder staid in shop alot!!! for electronics but it was repaired in time for trip. I have road gl-wings trikes and I can tell you that after the trip I wouldn't have anything else(I will wait for those who read my post to regain concuss) My take on the difference is that the spyder is more stable less stress on upper body and lots more safety stuff.thats my 2 cents worth.oh and I am building a trailor for next trip. good luck with what ever you buy Pete

spyderpoop
12-23-2012, 11:43 PM
if you read this site you,ll soon find out the spyder is highly overrated as far as quality in the build of it it is made up of PLASTIC peices and connected with plastic pins to the body so it wont hold up too vigorious terrain I beleive all the company wants is the sale and dont provide quality service at a reasonable price they really stick it to ya for anything you need repaired so if your not willing to part with ya hand earned money the Goldwing is the way to go I traded mine in on a spyder only because my wife had trouble getting on it with bad Knees and I only have 1000 miles on my spyder and haveing problems with it already so dont make the mistake I did good luck Rich