PDA

View Full Version : 622 Trailer

Harley
12-17-2012, 06:57 PM
I am considering purchasing a 622 trailer for my 2012 limited, and have a few questions. Does it make a difference in the handling of the Spyder ? I realize it will affect the mpg, but I want to take some long rides this summer, health permitting, and the extra storage sure would be nice. I am new to this game, and need all the advice I can get. Thanks in advance.

Harley & Darlene :dontknow:

SpyderAnn01
12-17-2012, 07:08 PM
I've probably put 25,000 miles on my trailer and I love it. If anything I think it actually improves the handling of the Spyder. They tow great at any speed. Go for it, I think you'll be very pleased.

GadgetGuy442
12-17-2012, 07:11 PM
I am considering purchasing a 622 trailer for my 2012 limited, and have a few questions. Does it make a difference in the handling of the Spyder ? I realize it will affect the mpg, but I want to take some long rides this summer, health permitting, and the extra storage sure would be nice. I am new to this game, and need all the advice I can get. Thanks in advance.

Hi Harley & Darlene,

We've had our RT-622 since May 2010 when we got our RTS, and we've found trailering it to be virtually effortless. We really barely notice it's there, even when fully loaded. Never have had any stability issues - it tracks straight and true to the RTS, even at highway speeds and windy conditions.

You will notice higher RPMs required for shifting up, and your SE5 transmission will downshift at higher RPMs than the "no-trailer" mode. That, and being practiced and slow in your backing maneuvers, and you'll be riding just the same as without the trailer.

We have thoroughly enjoyed having the extra space to bring things along as well as more room to bring new stuff back. My guess is, YOU'LL LOVE IT TOO!!!

All the best,

Bill & Sandy

NancysToy
12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
If anything, it stabilizes the Spyder in turns...especially in wet weather. I have never noticed any effect from the wind. The mileage hit isn't as bad as you think...but you will lose one or two MPG in most cases...especially in the hills. You will notice some loss of braking capability...be sure to allow a little more room. And be careful in the turns, especially around curbs, parking lots, and gas stations. The trailer will cut the inside of the corner much closer than the Spyder. Go slow and be sure to look back until you get the hange of it.

You are going to love the RT-622!

Macca
12-17-2012, 07:37 PM
I forget it's behind me it's so smooth

CSW61
12-17-2012, 07:39 PM
If anything, it stabilizes the Spyder in turns...especially in wet weather. I have never noticed any effect from the wind. The mileage hit isn't as bad as you think...but you will lose one or two MPG in most cases...especially in the hills. You will notice some loss of braking capability...be sure to allow a little more room. And be careful in the turns, especially around curbs, parking lots, and gas stations. The trailer will cut the inside of the corner much closer than the Spyder. Go slow and be sure to look back until you get the hange of it.

You are going to love the RT-622!

:agree:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-17-2012, 07:52 PM

I built mine, it weighs 65 lbs. empty the 622 weighs 250+ empty.......mine holds 18.5 cu ft. ..622 - 22 cu ft...Mine cost about $ 150......622 = $ 4000 +.........................I'm very Happy ........will you be ????????............I'm not knocking you or the trailer but $3,850 is not chump change .....except to Bill Gates :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:.....Mike :thumbup:

MouthPiece
12-17-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm really glad you submitted this thread. I too will be buying a 622 trailer for my soon to be 2013 RTS. I had some apprehensions as you. Thanks to all for their responses

Chris

Pennyrick
12-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Both my wife and I have 622's that we use with our RT's. Have probably put 35,000 plus on both trailers (we are on our second set of RT's) and have never had a problem. You don't know they are there when traveling unless you box yourself into a tight spot. Even then they are easy to back up but if it gets too difficult just unhitch and roll it out almost with one hand,

We too have found the handling better with the trailers in tow. One one trip we actually got BETTER gas mileage with the trailers on a stretch we have traveled often without trailers. I talked to a guy who drives 18 wheelers and he says that is like the truckers who get better mileage with the trailers attached as opposed to running cab only. Apparently the turbulence is smoothed out by having the trailer present resulting in less drag and better mileage.

kevorama
12-17-2012, 08:57 PM
I had Cowtown install my hitch and trailer and by the time they were done with it, the cross winds were 45 mph, the temp was 32° and it was spitting sleet. I had a two hour ride back home and that was my first experience with pulling the 622. It did not affect the handling adversely in any way, shape or form. Although, I was scared to death pulling my new several thousand $$$ trailer home under those conditions.

ThreeFeet
12-17-2012, 09:51 PM
I pulled the 622 with my 09 RS and then with my RT-S. Absolutely NO PROBLEM!!! I probably overloaded the poor thing( it's a female thing)But it just followed along like it's supposed to. Braking does take more time with it hitched just like any trailer on any vehicle. And DEFINETLY watch the corners. Trailers travel in farther on corners than the tow vehicle.

Harley
12-18-2012, 05:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the great input. I now feel more confident with the upcoming purchase. Thanks again and be Good, be Kind, and be careful.

Harley & Darlene Kamper (The Happy Kampers)

GloryRyders
12-18-2012, 06:34 AM
:agree: with most of what everyone has said except the milage.:dontknow: Without the trailer, we get 30-32 MPG but running with the trailer we have only gotten 25-27 MPG average. That has been running thru Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Arizonia, and New Mexico for the owners event and then the Black Hills and to Yellowstone this fall. Just plan on stopping a little more often and maybe carry extra fuel in you are going west. (Just in case :lecturef_smilie:)
No matter the drop in MPG.............you will love it!:yes:

Desert Spyder
12-18-2012, 02:15 PM
The trailer is a very useful accessory to the bike. I use it for refilling water jugs, going to Costco, and soon I will use it on my PGR missions for storing portable shelter, chairs, coolers, portable air pump and jumper setup from Costco (great buy I tell ya). When you go out on "Angel Flights" and Welcome Home missions things don't start out on time sometimes. I have an idea how to mount big flags on it too but I have not made the mods for it yet. Its a bit pricey to be sure. We bought it at Cowtown during Spyderfest. Good move. When you travel you tend to overpack sometimes. I don't even know its back there. But its a pain to back up sometimes. Gotta be a trick to that that I haven't figured yet.