PDA

View Full Version : re bike lifts/jacks

bmwlarry
12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I found this comparison video of three jacks with regards to lifting heavyweight touring bikes. The three are harbor freight, pit bull and J & S Jacks. I actually have a full size Handy Lift and the J&S jack. I love them both. If you are considering the harbor freight, you will want to watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avJ2a0oOvCU

coastrider
12-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Interesting video! My wife had bought me the pitbull air/hydraulic jack for my Gold Wing, and I'd hoped to use it on the Spyder. However the Spyder was totaled by Hurricane Sandy and the business end of the jack was underwater as well. Do you guys think an oil change for the bottle can save it, or it it toast as well? The Spyder will be replaced by insurance soon.

DocRags
12-13-2012, 08:18 PM
You would post this video the day after Ed picked up the Harbor Freight lift...now I'm seeing a return in the near future. Thanks for posting!

Elembytes
12-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Great video!!!!

Thanks for posting and helping to educate the rest of us out here.

I do wish we could see a video of a Spyder RT or other Model being lifted and worked on using a J&S Jack- as it does indeed seem far more superior in all aspects.

Thanks for the expertise! Appreciate it!

MouthPiece
12-13-2012, 10:17 PM
I personally wouldn't work on it with just the jack. I'd have support stands as well.

Chris

bikeguy
12-14-2012, 12:06 AM
I personally wouldn't work on it with just the jack. I'd have support stands as well.

Chris

Me too!

Cotton

AbNormy
12-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Went out and got one for myself and another for a friend who parts bikes out for a living. wonder how much the american ones are? you do get what you pay for. is there a video of the HF one under a Spyder yet?

SpyRyd
12-14-2012, 03:56 AM
I use the HF lift to simply lift my RT Limited and then lower the :ani29: onto jack stands under both the front and rear. I do not attempt to work on it or clean it without using the stands and never try to move the :ani29: while raised on the lift. For me the HF lift works well as a lift.

MouthPiece
12-14-2012, 06:51 AM
PS: There is a picture that Lamont posted showing exactly where to put the jack stands. I believe 3 are used.

Chris

MarkLawson
12-14-2012, 09:43 AM
PS: There is a picture that Lamont posted showing exactly where to put the jack stands. I believe 3 are used.

Chris

Yes, but Lamont's pics show the rear jack stand under the rear shock mount. BRP says that spot is not strong enough for that use. They recommend you use the rear-most part of the frame.

I have and love the Pitbull lift. It is certainly bigger than the others, but it also lifts significantly higher than the others. With the Spyder, I can approach with the lift from either side. I also have SpyderPops' cat shields & have found that the positioning of the Pitbull will accommodate them. I bought the Pitbull years ago for my Goldwing.

bmwlarry
12-14-2012, 12:22 PM
I should have pointed out that when ever I use the J&S lift, I always use jack stands under let and right front as well as a floor jack under the rear tire.

spydercowboy
12-14-2012, 12:34 PM
I got a OTC to use on my Harley. Got some Sealboards for the Spyder so tired it out. Worked just fine. I could move the whole thing with ease. I got the OTC hoping it might not be made in China like the Harbor Freight but it is. However I think it's much heavier constructed and half the price of a J&S.

Elembytes
12-14-2012, 03:09 PM
I had recently inquired via J&S jacks whether their lifts were okay to use on a Spyder RT-S--

Here is what I was told in return----just FYI --Best to act with caution!!!!! This was current as of 12-13-12!!!!!

Unfortunately as of right now we do not recommend our lifts for any
spyders. We are not confident in how sturdy the spyders are on the lift
and would hate to have something happen. Sorry for the inconvenience
but we are glad you thought of us! Have a wonderful holiday season from
all of us at J&S Jacks!