PDA

View Full Version : Type-O Helmet

Mama Phoenix
12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Hello there! Mama here. I have a question, and I know many of you out there have an answer. I've been looking at a few helmets, and I've run across certain terminology, and I can't find the definition. What is "Type-O", or what does it refer to? Is this a specific manufacturer's thing, or is this a some kind of standard? I understand full-face, half, etc, but I have no idea what type-O is other than a blood type.

Are there other "types" that I should be on the lookout for? :helpsmilie:

Thanks in advance!

TexasSpyder
12-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Revzilla refers to a type "O" helments in their videos on helmets and it has to do with the shape of the persons head. Some helmets fit different shape heads better than others. You could go to Revzilla.com to do research on the helmet models you are interested in. There is a lot of info available there.

J. D.

Mama Phoenix
12-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Revzilla refers to a type "O" helments in their videos on helmets and it has to do with the shape of the persons head. Some helmets fit different shape heads better than others. You could go to Revzilla.com to do research on the helmet models you are interested in. There is a lot of info available there.

J. D.
Hey, J.D. Thanks for your response! I had considered that, but most places (including revzilla) typically refer to head shapes as ovals-- long, intermediate, and round. Over the past several months, I have watched several (too many) of their videos, and I don't recall ever seeing anything about "type-O" helmet. (It's possible I just don't remember.) Generally, I would think it means "round" for the round head, but I've also seen type-f, and other letter types that seem to have nothing to do with head shape. Unfortunately, their site (IMHO) just doesn't lend itself to those kind of inquiries. :banghead:

NancysToy
12-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Buying a helmet mail order, without having previously tried that brand or style on (or perhaps not having owned any helmet before) is a tricky proposition. If you can, go to a motorcycle show or good bike shop, where someone that knows helmet fit can fit and advise you. Barring that, go to a bike shop, strap one on, and walk around for the next 10-15 minutes. The helmet should fit with firm pressure all around, with no painful spots, hot spots, or loose areas. It should not be able to be put on without spreading the bottom, and should not roll around on your head or come off when fastened and pulled on at the bottom edges, or turned. If it moves, your skin should move with it. If it does not fit, don't go to a larger size, go to a different model or brand, or a different shape (for the few manufacturers that make different shapes). Wear the smallest size that will fit acceptably. I am a firm believer in Arai helmets, because they have good quality, I can always find a shape that fits my odd-shaped noggin, and they have replacement pads to allow you to fine-tune the fit. There are other good brands, as well, but the Arai is our favorite.

juliantrost
12-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Buying a helmet mail order, without having previously tried that brand or style on (or perhaps not having owned any helmet before) is a tricky proposition. If you can, go to a motorcycle show or good bike shop, where someone that knows helmet fit can fit and advise you. Barring that, go to a bike shop, strap one on, and walk around for the next 10-15 minutes. The helmet should fit with firm pressure all around, with no painful spots, hot spots, or loose areas. It should not be able to be put on without spreading the bottom, and should not roll around on your head or come off when fastened and pulled on at the bottom edges, or turned. If it moves, your skin should move with it. If it does not fit, don't go to a larger size, go to a different model or brand, or a different shape (for the few manufacturers that make different shapes). Wear the smallest size that will fit acceptably. I am a firm believer in Arai helmets, because they have good quality, I can always find a shape that fits my odd-shaped noggin, and they have replacement pads to allow you to fine-tune the fit. There are other good brands, as well, but the Arai is our favorite.

Absoultely, :agree:. I was stupid enough to buy a helmet last month from BRP, without ever trying it on, but simply cannot keep it on for more than 10 minutes. I would strongly consider NancysToy's advise and try it on in advance of purchasing. BTW, if anyone is interested in a BRP helmet, size XL, let me know.

Bob Denman
12-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Think of it like buying shoes... who buys them without slipping them on first? :dontknow:

bcoulter19
12-12-2012, 08:35 AM
you would be surprised who buys shoes witout trying them on first. I use to sell shoes when I was in college and people would walk in and say i need this in a size 10 and then pay for it and walk out.

Mama Phoenix
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I appreciate the info, but this is getting off topic. I never said I wasn't or haven't been going to motorcycle shops to try on helmets. That is not the issue. My question is... What does "Type-O" mean when referring to helmets. Even asking some of those peeps in the shops is like asking some kid at Best Buy about electronics. A bunch of huff with no substance.

asp125
12-12-2012, 12:11 PM
It almost seems to be a brand specific term used by HJC helmets. Notably the CL-SP and FS-11 line. I can't find any technical description that differentiates their construction / features from any other similar helmet. No other brand uses that term. So my guess it's just a marketing name. I've bought many many helmets in my time, (currently have 7), and other than features and graphics the main thing is that they fit your head.

NancysToy
12-12-2012, 06:22 PM
It almost seems to be a brand specific term used by HJC helmets. Notably the CL-SP and FS-11 line. I can't find any technical description that differentiates their construction / features from any other similar helmet. No other brand uses that term. So my guess it's just a marketing name. I've bought many many helmets in my time, (currently have 7), and other than features and graphics the main thing is that they fit your head.
:agree: It is not a standard term.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Anita, we've discussed this at length in PM's and take Scotty's (nancy's toy) advice.....Annnnnnnnnnnd nomenclature is not going to get you a helmet that fits right or comfortably......You are reading way to much into this thing....Just get one that " FITS "........Mike :shemademe_smilie: :agree: :thumbup:

Mama Phoenix
12-12-2012, 10:37 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking... brand specific terminology. Thanks, asp125! :D

Mike, I'm not reading too much into anything. It was just a simple question. What does Type-O mean? (And we never discussed that.) I saw the term a couple of times and became curious about the meaning, so I thought this would be the perfect place to ask. But, it pretty much took a left turn for a sec into how I need to go to the store and try on helmets which I have done, and will continue to do. I appreciate people suggesting that (in case I was naive and never thought about trying on a helmet), but my post wasn't about helmet fit, just the term. When I saw E10 on the gas pumps, I wanted to know what that meant, too, so I asked.