PDA

View Full Version : Difficult cold weather starting - any ideas?

bob edward
12-11-2012, 01:06 PM
has any body out there have trouble starting there spyder after a few days of cold wet weather.it sits in a garage but it is still cold and damp inside i did get it started, but it was fight :dontknow:nojoke

billybovine
12-11-2012, 01:15 PM
has any body out there have trouble starting there spyder after a few days of cold wet weather.it sits in a garage but it is still cold and damp inside i did get it started, but it was fight :dontknow:nojoke

I don't have any trouble starting no matter the conditions.

bcoulter19
12-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Do you have it hooked to a battery tender?

bob edward
12-11-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't have any trouble starting no matter the conditions.
it had not bin started in 5 days:(

bob edward
12-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Do you have it hooked to a battery tender?
not yet but am going to get one now:opps:

IntoTheWind
12-11-2012, 01:30 PM
I have my RT on a battery charger, always starts (best investment -- Battery tender) plugged in year round.

NancysToy
12-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Put a maintenance charger (battery tender) on the battery, add some fuel stabilizer (Stabil or Seafoam) to the fuel, keep the tank fairly full to inhibit condensation, and buy brand name fuel from a good quality station. JMHO

Craigger_T
12-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I tracked down a somewhat fancier version of a "Battery Minder" that has hands down out performed any charger/maintainer I've ever used. Have had three different motorcycle and atv batteries that went south fast with a simple tender attached. The Battery Minder reserected two of them, and I haven't replaced another vehicle battery in the 3 years I've had this thing. Scary too how many batterys one ends up needing! I've got regular lead-acid flooded, AGM, and Gel and it has worked noticeably better on all of them. I think many of the newer charger/maintainers are starting to use the pulse technology that helps cut down on loosing batteries to sulfation. I have four different charger/maintainers but the Minder noticeably out performs the others. Not easy to find, though.

spyder3
12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
You say a starting problem, are you talking about a dead battery or low battery issue, or it cranks fine and won't start? Being the mechanic that i'm not, a battery tender doesn't cure everything.:dontknow:

bob edward
12-12-2012, 03:04 PM
i want thank every one for info.put gas saver in and bought battery tender. :D:clap:

NancysToy
12-12-2012, 06:20 PM
You say a starting problem, are you talking about a dead battery or low battery issue, or it cranks fine and won't start? Being the mechanic that i'm not, a battery tender doesn't cure everything.:dontknow:
You are right, but a low battery can make the engine crank more slowly, that can make starting more difficult. Also, excessive cranking can lower the battery voltage, not only causing slow cranking, but even ECM and limp mode issues. The charger is more of an assurance, to take the battery out of the equation. If charging the battery works, it may have been a battery problem. If not, you have eliminated one possibility. Just another tool in the box.