PDA

View Full Version : Turns over, but won't start!!

SpyderMarkus
12-10-2012, 10:53 PM
I've been ryding my Spyder RT pratically every day since I've purchased it 4 months ago (either to/fro work and on extended PGR missions). I just recently went over 5200 miles and had my 4700 mile service a few weeks ago. While getting ready for work today, the Spyder would turn over fine, but would not start... It acts as it if wants to start, but just won't. Although I didn't have time to really troubleshoot the issue, from experience with my other bikes, it acts like I've gotten bad gas or water (perhaps from condensation) in the tank?!?! Tank is currently half full at the moment... Any thoughts prior to trying to troubleshooting tomorrow morning? Thanks!!

Markus

NancysToy
12-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Could be flooded. Crack the throttle open and try. If it still won't start, open the throttle all the way, to prevent starting, then crank through several times to clear the cylinders. After that, try a normal start. If that doesn't work, repeat. If you think you got some bad fuel or condensation, SeaFoam or Marine Stabil will help, as will immediatly filling the tank with good fuel, then running the tank low and filling again. Keep the battery up with a battery tender beforehand, or consider using a jumper battery. If the battery runs low you will have other problems. If the problem persists, pulling up any active fault codes may shed some light on the subject. If nothing works at all, you'll need to get a tow to your dealer. If the plugs became fouled, they may need to be changed, even if you get the Spyder running again. If it runs badly, and you have addressed the possibility of bad gas, I'd consider fresh plugs/wires.

d.o.spyder-rts
12-11-2012, 03:01 AM
I know this sounds simple but have you checked to be sure the engine cut-off switch is in the run position? BTDT Dale

SpyderMarkus
12-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Yes... When the engine cut-off switch is not in the run position, it won't even turn over. Will begin working issue this morning after taking my kids to school.

I know this sounds simple but have you checked to be sure the engine cut-off switch is in the run position? BTDT Dale

Ivorspyder
12-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Mine did that a few weeks ago.I cracked the throttle open slightly whilst it turned over a quite a few times and eventually fired.Been fine since then.
Ivor:spyder:

SpyderMarkus
12-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Think I've got it... Put in a little fuel stabilizer and topped off (2 gallons) of fresh gas. Had to hook up the jumper cables as it took a while of cranking, but the :spyder2: finally started. Took it for a 30 mile spin around the block to burn up a gallon or so of fuel.... Hopefully, I won't have any more issues when I try to start it later this afternoon. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, comments, and assistance!!

jerpinoy
12-11-2012, 02:11 PM
:yes::yes::yes:During winter, condensation inside the fuel tanks is big problem. Topping off the tank all the time will eliminate some of this issue. :yes::yes::yes: Happy spyding:spyder2: