PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch

currin20fan
12-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Looking to purchase the BRP trailer hitch for my 2011 spyder limited. Any suggestions on where to start looking besides BRP?

Blue Star
12-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Looking to purchase the BRP trailer hitch for my 2011 spyder limited. Any suggestions on where to start looking besides BRP?
eBay?

Bob Denman
12-10-2012, 08:13 AM
It's possible that a dealer might have a used one...
Somebody trades in a combo RT/622 and the dealer breaks it up to optimize his sales potential...
Otherwise EBay or any number of salvage part places might have one.
If you buy used; get the wiring harness with it!

Tx web rider
12-10-2012, 09:28 AM
here is the one i put on my Spyder works great heavy duty and solid and it does fit both rs and rt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-Trailer-Tow-Hitch-/330518357006?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf46de40e&vxp=mtr

Lamonster
12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Several dealers on the front page that sponsor this site, why not try them? :doorag:

MarkLawson
12-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Since BRP has changed the trailer wiring 3 times in 4 model years, make sure you get the right one...

currin20fan
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Several dealers on the front page that sponsor this site, why not try them? :doorag:

I'm not going to leave them out for sure. I have sent a couple messages and will be making some phone calls. I'm not going to get the BRP trailer though. I really like the Aluma or the Trekker trailers. I saw the Trekker trailer at your BBQ and its kinda stuck with me ever since. BUT I'm still looking at all my options and figured spyderlovers.com was the best place for me to start. :)

NancysToy
12-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Since BRP has changed the trailer wiring 3 times in 4 model years, make sure you get the right one...

You will only get the current model of the hitch, with the square-4 connector on the wiring harness, unless a dealer happens to have an old version on the shelf.

currin20fan
12-10-2012, 04:44 PM
You will only get the current model of the hitch, with the square-4 connector on the wiring harness, unless a dealer happens to have an old version on the shelf.

I've been on the phone and sending emails most of the day about this hitch and when you responded, I was thinking Holy #(*^. So, I took a chance and called my dealer. :shocked: I didn't really know what to expect :opps: and about fainted when he told me he had one left in stock and it would fit my spyder. :bowdown: He also told me they don't have the 2013 hitches in stock yet. I should have started there first and he gave me a good deal on it. Paid for it and will go get it some time this week. Thanks once again Velocity!

Now, on to finding the aluminum trailer I wanted.

spyderpoop
12-10-2012, 04:53 PM
well glad you found a hitch at your dealership RPM had to out source to find mine but it is VERY VERY costly to have the dealer install it , good luck with trailer hunting I been looking also and let me know what you find and like thanks ride safe and the foot rest are working out fine thanks Rich

Bob Denman
12-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I've been on the phone and sending emails most of the day about this hitch and when you responded, I was thinking Holy #(*^. So, I took a chance and called my dealer. :shocked: I didn't really know what to expect :opps: and about fainted when he told me he had one left in stock and it would fit my spyder. :bowdown:

Kind of like marrying the girl next door... :2thumbs:

NancysToy
12-10-2012, 06:23 PM
I've been on the phone and sending emails most of the day about this hitch and when you responded, I was thinking Holy #(*^. So, I took a chance and called my dealer. :shocked: I didn't really know what to expect :opps: and about fainted when he told me he had one left in stock and it would fit my spyder. :bowdown: He also told me they don't have the 2013 hitches in stock yet. I should have started there first and he gave me a good deal on it. Paid for it and will go get it some time this week. Thanks once again Velocity!

Now, on to finding the aluminum trailer I wanted.
That may or may not be good news. The older trailer modules were integral, and installed in the saddlebag. They are harder to modify to fit an aftermarket trailer. You will need to purchase a trailer tongue harness for the earlier RT-622 to splice into your trailer or to make an adapter, or you will have to buy the appropriate Deutsch connector, pins, blank hole plugs, rear boot, and rent the special crimping pliers. Also be aware that a 5-wire trailer will not connect to the Spyder harness (after 2010) without wiring modifications to convert it to 4-wire.

currin20fan
12-10-2012, 11:20 PM
That may or may not be good news. The older trailer modules were integral, and installed in the saddlebag. They are harder to modify to fit an aftermarket trailer. You will need to purchase a trailer tongue harness for the earlier RT-622 to splice into your trailer or to make an adapter, or you will have to buy the appropriate Deutsch connector, pins, blank hole plugs, rear boot, and rent the special crimping pliers. Also be aware that a 5-wire trialer will not connect to the Spyder harness (after 2010) without wiring modifications to convert it to 4-wire.

:hun: Hubby says he knew he would have to do some modifications for a trailer since we were not going to purchase a RT-622. Glad he knows...:gaah: