PDA

View Full Version : Reverse surge!

nightflyer
12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
When I backed my Spyder out of the garage the engine started surging when I put it in reverse. I can roll the throttle all the way open and it only surges. All forward gears the engine operates normal...any ideas!

NancysToy
12-08-2012, 02:10 PM
The rpm is limited in reverse, and the traction control can kill the engine if the wheel slips. Your nanny may have been kicking in. On the other hand, if the problem occurs in all gears, or in neutral, I'd suspect bad gas first.

Bob Denman
12-08-2012, 03:43 PM
:shocked: Question: Why would you even want to try that?? :shocked:
But, it is the Nanny keeping you from hurting yourself. :thumbup:

nightflyer
12-08-2012, 04:49 PM
I understand the concept of the engine being limited in reverse, but I have a full tank of fresh 93 octane fuel, three days old now, I was backing out of the garage, flat dry concrete, no wheel spin etc. everything normal as it can be, the only thing unusual was that my battery was low and had to be charged, but after I drove it for about thirty minutes the reverse condition is still there!!

NancysToy
12-08-2012, 06:31 PM
See your dealer. If it is a repeatable problem, they should be able to track it down.

Bob Denman
12-08-2012, 07:09 PM
night...
Sorry... I think that I misunderstood you. :opps: I took it that it was doing this WHEN you gave the "loud grip" all you could while the bike was in reverse...
Can put the bike on a battery charger overnight? That might rule out some potential issues...

nightflyer
12-08-2012, 08:09 PM
You are right Bob, while it is at idle it runs and idles smoothly, however when I roll the throttle on is when it starts to surge. This is a first time occurrence. I will put the charger on it and probably go ahead and order a new battery for it as well. That is the only change that has happened, so it may very well be an electrical issue!! Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob Denman
12-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Good Luck! :thumbup:
I hope that stuffing some fresh electrons into the battery points to where the issue is!

nightflyer
12-16-2012, 07:46 AM
I replaced the battery last week and surprise, no more reverse surge, amazing what a few new electrons running around will do!

Bob Denman
12-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Glad to hear it!! :2thumbs: :ohyea::yes: :thumbup:

JJRider
05-13-2013, 12:11 AM
On our 2011 RS I could go in reverse up a hill with no issues. A little feathering of the clutch and it was fine as long as I had a good surface and not gravel to back up on. I could back up a steep hill without problems.

Last weekend and again today, took our new 2012 RT-S in reverse and tried backing up a slight incline. The surging was so bad that no matter what I did with the clutch, it basically would not back up. It is interesting reading that a few others have this issue. Our Spyder just had the 600 mile service done with only a issue for a bad battery which was replaced at no charge.

I can see where this reverse is going to be an issue when we take our long trip and often have to backup into campgrounds that may not be level or the perfect surface. I have no problem with a rev limiter taking over as long as there is a little common sense for when it kicks in. This sucks on the RT.

Chupaca
05-13-2013, 01:03 AM
stories that are complete in one sitting. The setting, the problem, the suggestions, the follow through and the solution....good job guys..!!:ohyea: