PDA

View Full Version : Corbin versus Ultimate Seat

blambert
12-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Folks,

Have migrated from the standard to comfort and now on Corbin seat for my 2011 Spyder RS. Cobin is still a little hard (6k miles on it) and my wife and I seat angles still makes us slide forward ( I have highway pegs which help me but not her). Anyone have opinion on ultimate versus Corbin seat, for comfort and seat angle. The folks at ultimate say their seat angle is more flat or upward sloping. Inputs please.

Regards,

Lambo

MLavore
12-07-2012, 07:13 PM
I am interested in this as well. I have a 2011 RS-S and while the seat is comfy I wonder about room for improvement. I slide around a bit but that's probably because of the 303 Aerospace protectant on everything lol

DougB
12-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Sold my Corbin and got a Day Long. Best I've ever had.

otter28169
12-07-2012, 09:35 PM
lookin into something to replace the stock seat. Can a "Day Long" seat be made waterproof so that you do not have to cover the seat every time it rains?

shelbydave
12-07-2012, 09:35 PM
I haven't had a Corbin, but I did get to sit on a couple, and I too thought they were hard. I got the Ultimate with the backrest, and love it. The seating angle for the pillion is either leaned back, or flatter. That was the first thing the wife noticed. She didn't feel like she was being dumped onto me. We've been on a few rides of probably 150 - 200 miles, and it feels nothing like 200 miles in the stock seat. I love it...

Trickie Dick
12-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Sold my Corbin and got a Day Long. Best I've ever had.
:2thumbs:

lookin into something to replace the stock seat. Can a "Day Long" seat be made waterproof so that you do not have to cover the seat every time it rains?
I don't think so but call and ask. I have a rain cover for mine. Great seat though. I never had a "butt issue" with mine. They are custom made to the individual. You have to send pictures in showing your riding position along with your stats. Downside, You have to send your seat in so you are without a seat for 2 weeks.

Papa
12-07-2012, 10:29 PM
I ordered my Ultimate at Spyderfest this year. I had a couple hundred miles on the seat when I took a 2400 mile trip. Longest day was 700 miles and I was still comfortable. Can't speak to the Corbin but there didn't seem like I needed a breakin period with the Ultimate.

AZSPYDER
12-08-2012, 08:56 AM
I have not tried an Ultimate seat, but have a Corbin on my 09 GS. I have used Corbin saddles on Harleys for 15 years and loved them. They are hard and at first sit down they feel horrible. Some friends and I did an "Iron Butt Run" (1000 miles in 24 hours) on Harleys, and I hurt everywhere except my butt.

NancysToy
12-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Everyone's "caboose" is built differently. A great seat for one rider is agony for another. It can sometimes be expensive to find what works for you. All the advice in the world can't change that. If you can get to an event like Spyderfest, other owners may let you try their seats if you ask nicely. Ultimate was a vendor there last year, with demo bikes in their booth. If you have to buy without trying, I'd go with Russell Day-Long...but that's just my opinion. They build from your measurements and pictures, as well as specs about anything you wish to change, so their seats seem to work well from the start. They do need your stock seat pan, though, and have no fuel door if that is important. Have you contacted http://www.spyderlovers.com/sponsors/daveseats.jpg (http://valleycustomupholstery.com/) our recent sponsoring vendor? He may be able to modify your stock seat or Corbin to suit your caboose.

SpyderLady
12-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Ordered Ultimate at Spyderfest. It came in and we got it installed just before we left on our 4,200+ mile trip. Love love the Ultimate seat, back rest and backrest for passenger. The memory foam they use is great. I was able to ride 600 miles the first day. I have back issues and needed the beat seat I could find. I have found it.

I also had an Ultimate on my RS. The Ultimate has two different measurements for how far back the rider sits.

I have a friend who had the Corbin and experienced exactly what you and your wife had....sliding forward and not comfortable at all.

elixermixer
12-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Have the Corbin love it and dislike aspects if it. Never hurts always feels good on long rides love love looooove the fuel door (for so many reasons and no I don't fear my tank being tampered any more than any Harley rider would with his pop tops tanks). The things I wish we're a lil different: the seat feels flat more chair like than saddle if that makes sense. I wish it was a little more rounded... However what do I know since it's always served my bum well and I'm always pain free alters hrs. Second I wish it was a little more grippy as the seat often feels a lil slippery sompared to a lot of more aggressive seats, I feel as if I slide a bit.
Other thanks that I have nothing but butt love for this seat.

Machinegunner
12-09-2012, 10:42 AM
The wife and I both had Corbin seats since 2008. She loves hers. I switched to Ultimate at Spyderfest am totally satisfied, no more sliding forward. Put 16,000 miles on this summer best seat I've owned. I have the driver's backrest also.

Bob Denman
12-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Let's all hope that the proper solution can be found.... That way all of your troubles will be "behind" you! :roflblack:

DocRags
12-09-2012, 10:53 AM
We just love the Ultimate seat we put on Ed's RS (after over 20,000 miles on the stock seat). The backrests are wonderful and we both felt great after riding, even when it was a 350+ mile day. Rain covers protect everything in inclement weather. One of the guys we ride with has a Day Long; two others have Corbin seats, but want to switch to Ultimate ones. As Scotty says, everyone is different so see if you can check out some of the seats at a rally. Our Ultimate seat was put on at Thunder Beach 14 months ago; at that time, we took it for a test ride. They offer to put back on your old seat if you don't love the Ultimate one after going for a ride. Can't speak for how our newest vendor's seats are but you could check with them as well.

Bob Denman
12-09-2012, 10:55 AM
There's a Russell Day-Long in the "For Sale" area right now!!