PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE on "She bugged out on me"

guinness
12-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Just got word back on the RT... Oil Sending Switch went out. I must not be asking them the right question to the Service Department. Was told it just went out. So where did the 3/4 quart of oil go??? I was told they didnt have an answer. It was just in for service, oil changed and I had less than 200 miles since the change. I'm not a mechanic but know BS when I hear it. Wonder if low oil caused this? Anyone want to chime in?

jerpinoy
12-07-2012, 06:43 PM
That's strange, keep asking the questions. They should have the answers, Did you get your RT from them? What is the dealership name?

NancysToy
12-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Low oil won't cause the switch to fail.

Was the oil level checked just after the oil was changed? If not, it may not have been properly filled in the first place. Dealerships usually have a tendency to overfill, but some cut corners, especially if using bulk oil. The only way to accurately gauge oil usage is to check it yourself, following the procedures in the manual, at full operating temperature. It should ideally be checked under similar conditions each time...like after a 30 mile ride in 70 degree weather, for instance. Keep a watch on it, and have the dealer look into it if usage is excessive in the future. Some oil use should be expected. There is a reason BRP calls for checking the oil at frequent intervals. Not to worry, though, a dry sump system can have a pretty low oil level and function normally...although the low level can affect SE5 shifting.

guinness
12-07-2012, 11:30 PM
That's strange, keep asking the questions. They should have the answers, Did you get your RT from them? What is the dealership name?

Lynnwood and yes they have done all my services.

guinness
12-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Low oil won't cause the switch to fail.

Was the oil level checked just after the oil was changed? If not, it may not have been properly filled in the first place. Dealerships usually have a tendency to overfill, but some cut corners, especially if using bulk oil. The only way to accurately gauge oil usage is to check it yourself, following the procedures in the manual, at full operating temperature. It should ideally be checked under similar conditions each time...like after a 30 mile ride in 70 degree weather, for instance. Keep a watch on it, and have the dealer look into it if usage is excessive in the future. Some oil use should be expected. There is a reason BRP calls for checking the oil at frequent intervals. Not to worry, though, a dry sump system can have a pretty low oil level and function normally...although the low level can affect SE5 shifting.

Thanks Scotty for the info...

Bob Ledford
01-06-2013, 01:53 PM
I agree with Scotty a low oil level will not or should not create a bad OP sending unit. But, there is always a but, a leaking oil pressure switch will cause a low oil level. Likewise after every oil change for the first few hours of operation a wise operaptor should check the oil level frequently as the oil filter gasket/seals on anything mechanical have been know to spring leaks some trickle and some gush.

BajaRon
01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Very important that you know how to properly check your oil level and do it yourself. You just can't afford to trust this kind of thing to anyone else. Even the best service providers have bad days. It's your Spyder and it's not hard to do.

Bob Denman
01-06-2013, 04:12 PM
:agree:
So it was reading that low only 200 miles after a servicing? Methinks that the dealer might owe you an apology... :gaah: