PDA

View Full Version : leaning foward - who would like that ??

chris56
12-05-2012, 05:34 AM
I don`t know why, but I prefer a ryding-position where I lean forward - not too much but I found out it should be 2-4 % .. like on my bikes

asked the guys of cicle-ergo and they added the new ST (thanks !) but still not the RS 2013 .. thats why I was asking if the handlebars of all three modells would fit on an ST ..

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Osros
12-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Nice site, new to me thanks. I can now see how risers with or without looks more or less. Not sure what your asking but by looking at the Spyder catalog and info there is a slight lean on the ST not as bad as the RS and not as straight up at the RT. I think it will be what your looking for. Also Im not sure but the ST should have the adjustable handle bars, unsure if standard or an option. Not certain if that site is taking the adjustable bars into it, it has handlebar pull back but seems to have no change until -3". Cant wait for dealers to have the ST and try it out.

chris56
12-05-2012, 12:14 PM
most time I have to drive here in the curvy Alps - my feeling is that the handling of a spyder is easier if you are "leaning forward" and have more weight on the handlebars ..

docdoru
12-05-2012, 01:03 PM
I preferred also the RS's leaning forward position: better control, less drag, ergonomic (the RT/ST's 90 degrees weight bearing: bad for the rider lower back and SI joint). :doorag:

Bob Denman
12-05-2012, 03:45 PM
That is is very interesting website; Thanks for bringing it up in here! :2thumbs:
(Going back in there to compare some of my old rides now...)

Yeochief
12-05-2012, 04:50 PM
When I went to look at Spyders in mid 2010, the dealer had a 2010 RT in the lot and several GS models in the showroom. The salesman told me to take a sit on the RT while he took care of a 2 wheel customer. I sat on the RT, and immediately didn't like the feel. When I sat on a GS, I said to myself, that's what I want to feel like when I ride. Mind you, I had not ridden a two wheel motorcycle in fifty years, I am extremely happy with my 2009 GS/RS. I recently had my OEM seat rewoked by a professional upholsterer who has built many motorcycle seats. She added a gel pad to the OEM seat and covered it with real leather and some custom stiching. Lifted me maybe an inch, and gave me a more motorcycle feel. I have stock handle bars. I am six foot and my Spyder fits me really well. Every ride is a mental health session.

I had replaced the OEM seat with a BRP Comfort seat almost immediately. Did NOT like the OEM seat. Love my reworked seat.

DrewNJ
12-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Rider comfort is 100% personal preference for sure.
The stock riding position on the RS fits me perfect at 6'0 with a 32" inseam. I have ridden an RT before I bought my RS and when riding aggressively I struggle because it feels like my arms are in my lap.
I also had the 1" BRP riser on my RS when I took delivery and took it out for the same reason.

One thing I noticed....It looks like the 2013 RS has the RT and ST handlebars....This looks like it will sit more upright than the previous years RS.

Bob Denman
12-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Well now at least I can see why my GB500 made my wrists hurt on the downhills around here... :shocked:

Dragonrider
12-06-2012, 11:23 AM
It's also an age & size thing. A taller rider can't find a "sport" bike that fits well. I bought a ST1100, and put 200 miles on it, before I sold it. I can't ride a "traditional" sport bike down the street - I look down on the front fender! I managed a year on a RS, and (1) could never adjust to looking down at the top of the windshield - even with the Madstad brackets, nor (2) could I ride it for more than 50 miles, or 200 miles a day.

My RT is good for 150 miles, and 600 mile days. Vehicles are not, "one size fits all".

Bob Denman
12-06-2012, 12:14 PM
:agree: There sure comes a point in time where we all start thinking, "Why can't they make one that sits like my easy chair does in the living room?" :shocked:

asp125
12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
:agree: There sure comes a point in time where we all start thinking, "Why can't they make one that sits like my easy chair does in the living room?" :shocked:

Aren't those called Harley Road Kings and Electra Glides? ;)

Bob Denman
12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Welll... not in THIS forum... :opps: :roflblack:

Dragonrider
12-06-2012, 02:31 PM
No way - the Goldwing is a closer fit to that description, or my K1200LT….

Bob Denman
12-06-2012, 07:04 PM
I was noticing those wonderful GoldWing ergos...5819458195
There's a definite similarity... :thumbup:

coz
12-07-2012, 06:43 PM
[ UOTE=asp125;547315]Aren't those called Harley Road Kings and Electra Glides? ;)[/QUOTE] there's nothing like a glide.:thumbup:

joet82
12-27-2012, 01:52 AM
I got to sit on an ST today while at the dealership dropping off my RS for warrenty work and the recalls. I found that I wouldn't trade my RS for either the ST or RT. for me, I feel more comfortable at 6'4" with long arms on my RS. And knowing that i may eventually slouch with the more upright position of the touring models, i may hurt my back if i hit a large hole with the rear tire like I have in the past. I also have a stock 09 seat and stock handlebars without risers and I have accomplished a 1000 miles in 24 hours IronButt ride with minimal issues.