PDA

View Full Version : Sooo tempted

Dynamike
12-04-2012, 07:22 PM
I had planned on buying my first Spyder early next year when the '13s are available, however I am very tempted to pick up a 2012 and save a few $$.

Someone talk me out of it!!!

I have been on this forum everyday and watching the same YouTube video over and over... I think I am a little Spyder crazy.

StriperKing
12-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Go with the 2012, save the $ and buy more mods. :thumbup: Just my opinion. That gives you all winter to play with it.

mcaccamise
12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
If your not ready to jump on the latest and greatest ST than i think you will be verry satisfied with a 2012 RSS and with the savings you can mod the hell out of it before spring.
And instead of ogeling the UTube you could be admiring your new ride and planing your next ride IMO
My 2012 is soo much fun i wouldent trade it off for anything else.
Mike

JKMSPYDER
12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
It all depends on which Spyder you want. If you want the new ST, you will have to buy the 2013 model. If you want an RS or RT, you will save some money on the 2012 models. The ST is just what I have been looking for. I wanted a cross between the sport bike and the touring bike. The ST-S will fit the bill for me.:clap::yes:

gnirtsnod
12-04-2012, 08:01 PM
I went with the 2012 about three weeks ago. Saved the change and am "re-allocating' it to make the changes I want to make. The suspension changes in the 2013's has piqued my interest, but my baseline was zero, so I thought I'd wait until forum members provided feedback as the year goes on.

denviola
12-04-2012, 08:16 PM
There seems to be quite a few '12 leftovers. Bought my '12 RT Limited in September and am not sorry. I'm curious about the suspension mods in the '13 model as well. I have been reading the threads about relocating the shocks higher, as is done in the '13 models and will likely try that over the winter. The dealers in Ohio on Cycletrader and also Long Island (where i bought mine) are "relatively" close to you and have deep discounts. You may be able to use their pricing to get a friendly price local to you. It doesn't hurt to price shop and that way even if you wait for a 2013 model you will know who is willing to work with you.

Dynamike
12-04-2012, 08:28 PM
I think I am stuck on all the hype about the 'new suspension geometry' and the brembos.

Also, the new RS-S has a multicolored LCD, I don't really care about that unless it includes more info than the monochrome LCD.

Any idea about how big of deal the new suspension is?

BajaRon
12-04-2012, 09:54 PM
I think I am stuck on all the hype about the 'new suspension geometry' and the brembos.

Also, the new RS-S has a multicolored LCD, I don't really care about that unless it includes more info than the monochrome LCD.

Any idea about how big of deal the new suspension is?

You should ride them both. What rings one person's bell may not even register on yours. If the money was the same it might be a no brainer. But reality is, you may like the cheaper model better. Both have a lot going for them.

No matter which one you get you'll always be 2nd guessing yourself if you don't try them both.

Dynamike
12-04-2012, 10:00 PM
You should ride them both. What rings one person's bell may not even register on yours. If the money was the same it might be a no brainer. But reality is, you may like the cheaper model better. Both have a lot going for them.

No matter which one you get you'll always be 2nd guessing yourself if you don't try them both.

That makes sense, but what's killing me is the wait. I won't be able to try them both until Feb or March if I'm lucky. I live in western pa, so our dealers will probably get them later due to the weather. I was just thinking that it being the end of the year, I would think I could get a pretty good deal.

I was just wondering how significant the changes for 2013 actually are in daily riding.

NancysToy
12-04-2012, 10:28 PM
You can get good deals on 2012s now, but the 2013s have significant improvements and changes. The 2012s are pretty good, though. It depends on what is going to be more important to you in the long run...money or performance/appearance.

Osros
12-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Very much thinking the same. I'm set on the STS but the wait will suck plus I won't mind 2012 RSS since I don't have a Spyder now I don't have anything to compare it to so I won't miss anything. The savings for me means I can most likely pay for 2012 RSS cash and not finance which will be nice not to have another vehicle payment.

I still need a bit more money and my local dealers are running out of 2012s so I don't know if I can pull off a 2012 in time before they are done with them. Maybe forced to pay more for a 2013. But it's a win win as long as I get one.

ARtraveler
12-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Others have pretty much said it all. Yes, test drive so you know what you missed--or not.

Let us know what you decide on. :2thumbs:

SpyderRx
12-05-2012, 12:05 AM
I bought a 2009 rs last August with only 1935 miles on it. It had several mods already like touring windshield, sport rack, and backrest. Saving the money was important to me because I had never ridden and wasn't sure how much I would like it. Well, 5 months into this I love it. Now I am making my own mods which are highway pegs, ultimate seat, and a few other things. So if I had it to do over again I would probably wait on the ST. Not that I am not happy with what I have, but the improvements on the ST are now what I am adding to the RS. Better seat, adjustable windshield, floor boards, better seating position, and what I would really like, cruise control. And that doesn't even touch the handling, braking and suspension improvements that I don't even know I want because I don't know any different being this is my first bike. Just my opinion

2manycars
12-05-2012, 04:04 AM
So much depends on the type of riding you do. I do a lot of two up riding with my wife, and though the ST looks like a great machine for a solo rider, it does not look like the best choice if two people are sharing it. Of course you can always buy two.

The suspension changes are tempting, but I have been very happy with my 2012 RT. I have the shocks at their highest settings and may add an anti-sway bar, but the longer I have it, the more comfortable both my wife and I are.

It is wonderful to have the newest model, but as you know, you can not keep up with technology, or for that matter the improvements that are made every year. If BRP came out with a six speed transmission, Id consider a new RT. The improved gas mileage would be nice, but no big deal. However, the engine running quieter at highway speeds would be nice. Better gas mileage would be a wonderful change, but to go from 30-40 MPG and save $350 is no big deal.

Think about the type of riding you will do, and how important it is to have the latest and greatest toy. Weigh that against the cost savings, and make a logical decision. Whatever way you go, I am sure you will find the product chosen to be a lot of fun.

MouthPiece
12-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Buy the 2012 and ride it for a year. Trade it in next year when the 2013's are on sale.

Chris

Bob Denman
12-05-2012, 07:43 AM
:welcome: And the choice; of course, will have to be yours... :shocked:
But I tested a 2013; WOW!

Daisyjoe
12-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I bought a 2009 rs last August with only 1935 miles on it. It had several mods already like touring windshield, sport rack, and backrest. Saving the money was important to me because I had never ridden and wasn't sure how much I would like it. Well, 5 months into this I love it. Now I am making my own mods which are highway pegs, ultimate seat, and a few other things. So if I had it to do over again I would probably wait on the ST. Not that I am not happy with what I have, but the improvements on the ST are now what I am adding to the RS. Better seat, adjustable windshield, floor boards, better seating position, and what I would really like, cruise control. And that doesn't even touch the handling, braking and suspension improvements that I don't even know I want because I don't know any different being this is my first bike. Just my opinion

Same here!! I have a 2010 RS. I had never ridden and wasn't sure how much I would like it. I love it!! The ST already has, from factory, almost everything you will want to add. It will be worth the wait. Lamont, plus many others who have owned a Spyder since it"s existence, give the ST rave reviews. This alone let's me know that this is one sweet machine. IMO, get an ST.

Bob Denman
12-05-2012, 11:29 AM
We're all pretty good at spending somebody else's money; aren't we? :shocked: :roflblack:

Ga Blue Knight
12-05-2012, 11:38 AM
There is no doubt the 2013's are better but how much depends on how much $$$$$ you have on hand and what you expect from the ride. I bought a 2012 RT-S (traded an 09 RS) last July and go a great deal on price and four year warrentee. Just too good to pass up. If you are going the ST route you should wait as it will be very much improved over a current RS. I don't think that the RT model is that different from the 2012's if you add the new fenders, an after market exhaust, Seal Floorboards and Elka Shocks. With the lower cost for the 2012 left overs even with these upgrades you should still be under the cost of a 2013 RT.

weapon
12-05-2012, 11:56 AM
If the 13's and newer are much better than the 12's or older you will lose the money you saved and more when it's time to sell or trade it and no one wants it.

jerpinoy
12-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Decision Decision:D:hun::dontknow::dontknow:I'm sure when you do you'll be the winner:yes::yes::yes::yes::welcome:

Hberninger
12-05-2012, 12:19 PM
I think the most critical issue is whether you will predominantly ride 2-up multi-day touring, or mostly single riding or short 2-up trips. If you are going to do serious multi-day 2-up touring with the new ST, then a trailer may be necessary. The RT is already set up for touring.