PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting Thoughts?

captblack
12-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I have a 2011 RT-S SM 5 with 22K miles. I was out today for a nice ride in the sun and started getting the following codes - P0709 and P2801. Both are monitoring codes and are related to the gear position sensor. Sometimes, but not always, the bike acts like it was knocked out of gear, then picks back up and starts flashing the check engine light. Once in a while I also get and E or R on the gear indicator in the status screen.

The codes clear by themselves and they seem to show up in 2nd and 3rd gears, for the most part.

Any thoughts on some quick checks I can do before I get it to the dealer in a couple of days? The manual calls for a BUDS check.

Thanks for any ideas that are out there ...

NancysToy
12-02-2012, 03:55 PM
You have done what you can. See the dealer and have your gear position sensor replaced.

Bob Denman
12-03-2012, 08:01 AM
We keep seeing the gear position sensor pop up in here... :gaah:
Do you think that this is a design issue, or an execution issue? :dontknow:

NancysToy
12-03-2012, 08:27 AM
We keep seeing the gear position sensor pop up in here... :gaah:
Do you think that this is a design issue, or an execution issue? :dontknow:
The incidence of failure isn't really that high, IMO, it is just more obvious when it does fail or get wonky. Holding the shift button on the SE can show some of the same errors, but execution is not usually the culprit.

Bob Denman
12-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks!
Maybe because we've have some notable recent complaints about them... my brain is strictly a "short-term" thing! :opps: