PDA

View Full Version : Other exhausts

elixermixer
12-02-2012, 01:37 AM
It seems as far as spyder goes hindle grabbed the official backing from brp while twobros seemed first to be to the market for an aftermarket exhaust and gained a lot of support. I was never a fan of them in general and was looking for options and seems everyone has a preference but I haven't heard one thing about the yoshimura (not cheap) but have always made top quality stuff and have done lots of racing with Suzuki.
has anyone mounted up their can?

Barbarossa
12-02-2012, 04:51 AM
Hello!

Unfortunately I have no information about the Yoshimura exhaust. But if you are looking for a high quality exhaust, I can recommend the LeoVince slip-on (http://www.leovince.com/en/catalog-can%20am/terminale_factory_racing_passaggio_standard_spyder _1000_i_e_2007_2008/10639) to you.

I have used it for approx. three years without any problems. It's not only good looking, but gains some additional hps and produces a deep, bubbling sound - not too loud!

Regards,
Alex

coz
12-02-2012, 09:42 AM
home made. looks good sounds good, tunable. about 70 bucks.:thumbup: if i was going to buy a pipe, it would be the HMF. they look good, sound good, and are fairly cheap.

Bob Denman
12-02-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm trying to find dyno comparison tests on any of these aftermarket pipes...
(Thread in another area)
If you guys see anything interesting... :thumbup:

aka1004
12-02-2012, 09:12 PM
i had hindle, two bros single, leo vince and now have yoshimura and yoshi is my favorite.
it has best tone but not loud as two bros. i never had silencer on my yoshi but without it, it's little louder than hindle but quieter than others.
it looks good and very high quality construction. i got mine with a slight dent inside for $360 but you can pick carbon one up below $500 online and low $400 for stainless steel.

Trickie Dick
12-02-2012, 09:39 PM
I had a hindle. Liked it but had to keep fixing the rattles. I went with the GPR Deeptone. Made in Italy. Good quality.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-SYSTEM-CAN-AM-SPYDER-1000-i-e-07-09-GPR-POPPY-/250858234827?hash=item3a6850e3cb&item=250858234827&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
Sound bite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhzZq4YJYjQ
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-SYSTEM-CAN-AM-SPYDER-1000-i-e-07-09-GPR-POPPY-/250858234827?hash=item3a6850e3cb&item=250858234827&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr)

SPYD3R
12-02-2012, 10:06 PM
i did a bit of alteration on the OEM, and it came out gr8...
5807558076580775807858079 i took 9 inches and most of the 'guts' out of it... leaving in the 'CAT' and it sounds terrific and i have maintained the OEM look... like all after market mufflers, you need to install them b4 u know what they sound like... every1 has their own likes, so don't blame me if u try this, and you don't like the sound... i'll post more pix, i guess this is the MAX the system will allow....

SPYD3R
12-02-2012, 10:11 PM
5807558076580775807858079 i took 9 inches and most of the 'guts' out of it... leaving in the 'CAT' and it sounds terrific and i have maintained the OEM look... like all after market mufflers, you need to install them b4 u know what they sound like... every1 has their own likes, so don't blame me if u try this, and you don't like the sound... i'll post more pix, i guess this is the MAX the system will allow....

here's more pix:

major911
12-03-2012, 09:09 AM
It seems as far as spyder goes hindle grabbed the official backing from brp while twobros seemed first to be to the market for an aftermarket exhaust and gained a lot of support. I was never a fan of them in general and was looking for options and seems everyone has a preference but I haven't heard one thing about the yoshimura (not cheap) but have always made top quality stuff and have done lots of racing with Suzuki.
has anyone mounted up their can?

I have the Yoshimura R77 on my 2011 RSS and couldn't be happier. Carbon fiber body so it doesn't generate much heat and the low rumble it provides at idle even impresses the harley guys I ride with. Not to mention the roar when you wind up the rpm's. I've heard hindles, two bros dual and single, and HMF's (which would be my second choice) but none beat the sound of the Yoshi IMHO. :thumbup:58085

DrewNJ
12-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Very cool man! Very cool.

Bob Denman
12-03-2012, 10:19 AM
:agree: You guys will have to talk him into getting the modification into production! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Very cool man! Very cool.

I agree, SPYD3R rocks with that D.I.Y. MOD.,,Thanks for posting the guts.....I would like to know more details on the sound change tho.....I may try this MOD this winter I have an X-TRA muffler.......I am not into " LOUD " AM AN OLD X-WINGER.....Quiter is Better....Mike :thumbup:

Marker
12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I have the Yoshimura R77 on my 2011 RSS and couldn't be happier. Carbon fiber body so it doesn't generate much heat and the low rumble it provides at idle even impresses the harley guys I ride with. Not to mention the roar when you wind up the rpm's. I've heard hindles, two bros dual and single, and HMF's (which would be my second choice) but none beat the sound of the Yoshi IMHO. :thumbup:58085

I checked out their web site and they also make them for the RT 2010 to 2012, Looks like a quality product . They are all 50 state legal and comply with noise regulations. Do you have any sound recordings . I could not find any on their site. I also e-mailed them about whether the pipe will fit with an OEM trailer hitch. Worth checking out! :doorag::thumbup:

SPYD3R
12-03-2012, 02:09 PM
I agree, SPYD3R rocks with that D.I.Y. MOD.,,Thanks for posting the guts.....I would like to know more details on the sound change tho.....I may try this MOD this winter I have an muffler.......I am not into " LOUD " AM AN OLD X-WINGER.....Quiter is Better....Mike :thumbup:

at idle, it's about the same as stock, under excelleration, it sounds like a tone-down rice-rocket... more mello than harsh...
i may try another one, and remove the 'cat' to see what i get for sound...

elixermixer
12-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I checked out their web site and they also make them for the RT 2010 to 2012, Looks like a quality product . They are all 50 state legal and comply with noise regulations. Do you have any sound recordings . I could not find any on their site. I also e-mailed them about whether the pipe will fit with an OEM trailer hitch. Worth checking out! :doorag::thumbup:
I've used and seen the products on many other lines of motorcycles and they have an excellent reputation so I expect the spyder line to be just the same buuuuuuuut that ring said word of mouth counts a lot.
major911 are you running a FI controller? If so what?

quickster47
12-08-2012, 04:33 PM
I have the Yoshi stainless pipe on my 2012 RT and coudn't be happier. It has a great sound, louder than the OEM can but quieter than either the Hindle or Two Brothers. Plus it looks classy. It also uses the 2 bolt flange and not a muffler clamp.

And the most important thing is my wife likes the sound and gave it HER approval. :D

Carl

SPYD3R
12-08-2012, 05:59 PM
:agree: You guys will have to talk him into getting the modification into production! :thumbup:

PRODUCTION.... hmmmmmm...??? i don't know Bobby...
it's a lot'a work guys... if any1 wants the info on what to do, i'm open to a phone call to help out...
but get ready for days worth of labor... u'll need a TIG welder (please don't use MIG)... u'll need air-tools and a BIG chop saw... i figure if i had to charge to alter yours, it would be no less than $250 - $300... and i just can't bring myself to charge that amount...

more/different pix below...

BajaRon
12-08-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm running the Yoshimura RS-3. I've had other exhauts but I REALLY like the Yoshimura. Has everything I want and it has lasted well over 20k miles without issue.

Doesn't drone at freeway speeds
Louder than stock but nice and mellow at idle and cruise
Sounds meaner than any other pipe I've heard when you get on the throttle (not louder, just meaner)
Looks great on the RS

http://www.tobefast.com/images/P/199169Carbon.jpg

mick ruhdorf
12-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi ive had a supertrapp slip-on on my spyder for a thousand miles i like the fact that it sounds great ,was cheap and it is ajustable from make your ears bleed loud to quite mild and sounds great at any volume.

cheers mick61982

Tx web rider
12-08-2012, 11:18 PM
PRODUCTION.... hmmmmmm...??? i don't know Bobby...
it's a lot'a work guys... if any1 wants the info on what to do, i'm open to a phone call to help out...
but get ready for days worth of labor... u'll need a TIG welder (please don't use MIG)... u'll need air-tools and a BIG chop saw... i figure if i had to charge to alter yours, it would be no less than $250 - $300... and i just can't bring myself to charge that amount...

more/different pix below...

i opened one up a few months ago when i got a replacement a friend had laying in his garage i cut the weld through at the cat along the seam of the black part and the stainless how much should i chop off the open end of the remainder and reattach ?

or maybe show some measurements where you did the actual cut and what part was removed

it looks like you removed the front part using the original end with can attached

major911
12-09-2012, 12:38 AM

There are some you tube clips you can hear. just search for canam spyder yoshimura.:thumbup:

cjackg
12-09-2012, 06:28 AM
Has anyone used an HMF on an RT? Would it require a custom connector pipe & install?

cjackg
12-09-2012, 06:32 AM
I have the Yoshi stainless pipe on my 2012 RT and coudn't be happier. It has a great sound, louder than the OEM can but quieter than either the Hindle or Two Brothers. Plus it looks classy. It also uses the 2 bolt flange and not a muffler clamp.

And the most important thing is my wife likes the sound and gave it HER approval. :D

Carl
Any chance of seeing a couple of pics of that Yoshi on an RT ?
Thanks,
Jack

eddieshep999
12-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Any chance of seeing a couple of pics of that Yoshi on an RT ?
Thanks,
Jack

Jack

He are some pictures of my Spyder RT-S SE5 2010 Model with the Yoshimura R77 Stainless Steel Exhaust fitted

See also

Spyder RT – Fitting-Yoshimura-R – 77 S Exhaust Slip-On-Exhaust-Muffler-to-a-Spyder-RT

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...to-a-Spyder-RT (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?45301-Fitting-Yoshimura-R-77-Slip-On-Exhaust-Muffler-to-a-Spyder-RT)

Eddiie Sheppard
Reading UK

SPYD3R
12-09-2012, 09:21 AM
i opened one up a few months ago when i got a replacement a friend had laying in his garage i cut the weld through at the cat along the seam of the black part and the stainless how much should i chop off the open end of the remainder and reattach ?

or maybe show some measurements where you did the actual cut and what part was removed

it looks like you removed the front part using the original end with can attached

I DID THE LATERAL CUTS TO OPEN up a window so that i could view the entire internal workings of this muffler. Now that i know what's inside, i would NOT do that again... 1st: drill out the retaining rivets that holds the support strap on... then i'd cut circumferencially along the forward end of the forward weld, penetrating no more than 1/8" deep. should you go deeper, you will cut into the 'cat' casting - not a good thing. then the next cut can be accomplished with a chop saw, a big one... depending on what you are looking for - from initial cut at the front end, measure toward the aft end and using the chop saw, cut her in 2... on mine, i removed 9" total, i'll do 12" next time. once you have the muffler parted, you need to remove all the material that is behind your 1st cut. leave or remove the cat - i kept mine in... once you have the forward end cleaned up, you'll need to remove whatever is in the way of reconnecting the now aft end to the forward end. the cat will enfluence what needs to be removed should you decide to retain it. there is no 'given' as to what to remove - it's up to you... once everything is cleaned out, you'll now need to use a die-grinder with a 3" cut-off wheel and go into the openned end of aft end and remove 1/2" deep of the liner, which is just on the inside of the outter shell... this will allow you to butt the outter shell to the housing where the cat is located... if you need to remove more on the liner, do so until you have a snug fit to the cat casting. once you accomplish this 'fit'... it's time to TIG weld the 2 pieces into 1... upon completion, go to Walmarts, buy a can of BBQ GRILL paint (black) and tape off what you don't want 'black' and spray 2 coats... INSTALL... ENJOY....
NOTE: b4 u start any cutting, get a marker and draw 'alignment' marks in no less than 2 places along the muffler, 180 deg. apposed... wear safety equipment when using tools... good luck, let me know how you made out...
Dan P
Easley, SC

coz
12-09-2012, 09:43 AM
that's the ''play by play'' i was talking about. thanks.:thumbup: i like the ''stubby'' look of it all.

SPYD3R
12-09-2012, 10:20 AM

geeeez, i replied, but must have DELETED it versus sending it... let's try again...

1st, i would NOT cut the next muffler from fwd to aft... 1st, drill out the rivets that hold the mounting strap to the muffler... then using a die-grinder with a 3" cut-off wheel, cut behind the fwd weld to a depth of no more than 1/8"... this will allow the casting that holds the 'cat' to maintain it's integrity... then i would measure from this cut back towards the aft end the amount you choose to removed overall. mine was 9", the next one i do, i will remove 12" out of it... what ever you decide to eliminate, measure that distance aft from the primary cut, now using a big chop saw, sever the muffler in half... then start removing everything between these 2 cuts. once this has been accomplished, you'll need to use your die-grinder again, and go inside the aft end and remove 1/2" of the liner which is inside of the outter casing... DO NOT CUT THE CASING AGAIN... look at the picture with my hand in it, that will give you an idea... dependent on whether you leave in the cat or not, you will need to evacuate 'stuff' ie; piping on the inside of the aft end... removal is up to you and what you think is necessary. some hand work will be needed to 'fit' the aft to fwd ends... once this is completed, you are ready to TIG weld the 2 pieces into 1... now go buy a spray can of BBQ GRILL paint at Walmarts... spray on 2 coats... NOTE: prior to cutting, mark the muffler with a marker to re-align the 2 halves after cutting. ALWAYS wear your safety equipment while working. good luck, enjoy... and let me know how you made out....
Dan P
Easley, SC

OH,,,,, now i c what happened... there's 2 pages... n i didn't check the 2nd page, duh... sorry...

cjackg
12-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Jack

He are some pictures of my Spyder RT-S SE5 2010 Model with the Yoshimura R77 Stainless Steel Exhaust fitted

See also

Spyder RT – Fitting-Yoshimura-R – 77 S Exhaust Slip-On-Exhaust-Muffler-to-a-Spyder-RT

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...to-a-Spyder-RT (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?45301-Fitting-Yoshimura-R-77-Slip-On-Exhaust-Muffler-to-a-Spyder-RT)

Eddiie Sheppard
Reading UK

That's a very nice looking setup! Does the YOSHI come with the connector pipe for the RT ready to bolt on? No customizing required?
Thanks!

quickster47
12-09-2012, 07:59 PM
That's a very nice looking setup! Does the YOSHI come with the connector pipe for the RT ready to bolt on? No customizing required?
Thanks!

Nothing special is required to mount the Yoshi pipe. I think there was a total of 5 bolts to install.

I'll see about some pictures but then a first hand visit would answer all your questions. :D

Carl

Marker
12-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Jack

See also

Eddiie Sheppard
Reading UK

582875828858289 58287

HI Eddie

I just came across your posting showing your Yoshi mounted on your Rt. I got an e-mail the other day from Yoshimura Exhaust and the spyder Rt they used to prototype the exhaust did not have OEM trailer hitch so they cannot verify that their exhaust pipe will fit a spyder with a hitch.

If I get a new exhaust it will be the BRP Akcripovic exhaust because I know that the exhaust will fit with a hitch installed.

Thanks again for your PM

Mark Crenna

Trevor G
01-03-2013, 02:04 AM
I have never gone for louder exhausts since I was 17 with a 250 Honda. ;-)

However our new/used RS-S came with a Yoshi R-77 and it is just amazing.

It just cracks from the rider's seat, but is still quite innocuous from the roadside.

Here is how it looks:

It sounds even better. ;-)

AZSPYDER
01-04-2013, 08:39 AM
I put the single Two Bros stainless on my 09 GS. Being an X-Harley rider I subscribe to loud pipes save lives. The pipe is fairly loud, but a silencer tip is available. Price point was very good. Another reason I chose it was the Dynojet Power Commander tuner only has preconfigured map sets for the Two Brothers exhaust.