PDA

View Full Version : Standard radio problems

viperryder
11-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Got a 2011 RT SE5 with radio problems. I have had the radio replaced twice by two different dealers. My problem is when I go under high tension wires (electric) my radio just cuts off. After I pass under them, then the radio will come back on. Has anyone every heard or had this problem? This site is awsome, so I thought I would post here before emailing BRP. Thank in advance.:pray::pray:

DR Buck
11-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Got a 2011 RT SE5 with radio problems. I have had the radio replaced twice by two different dealers. My problem is when I go under high tension wires (electric) my radio just cuts off. After I pass under them, then the radio will come back on. Has anyone every heard or had this problem? This site is awsome, so I thought I would post here before emailing BRP. Thank in advance.:pray::pray:

Yea. It's a common problem that has nothing to do with the radio. Current flowing through an electric wire generates magnetic fields. On high tension wires the current flow and voltage beiing very high causes the magnetic field to be much more intense. These higher level magnetic fields disrupt the much weaker electromagnitic fields form the radio station broadcast signals, basically zeroing them out while under and in the vicinity of the high tension lines. The high tension induced magnetic field also has the effect of triggering the AGC (autiomatic gain control) in your radio. AGC is designed to keep high power radio signals from blasting your radio and possibly causing the receiver to burn out. In effect the high tension magnetic field has 'captured' your receiver in place of the regular signal. Because there is no intelligence (music, voice) on the high tension magnetic field you will not hear anything.

Some radios are more prone to this effect than others. The Spyder radio is VERY sensitive and is effected much more than most car radios. In fact, I have had USB adapters pulgged into the power outlet in the trunk of my Spyder that create enough of an electro magnetic field to cause radio stations fade completely out.

NancysToy
11-30-2012, 02:00 PM
I can't add much to what DR Buck said, except to say that with the Spyder, or any other motorcycle, there is not a large metal cage to shield the electronics, so they tend to be more prone to magnetic and RF interference.

ARtraveler
11-30-2012, 02:03 PM
There are parts of Anchorage where the radio does not work very well either--happens on the Spyder and in my car. I have just learned to live with it.

Bob Denman
11-30-2012, 02:26 PM
I wonder if there's enough room up under the Tuperware to build a shield for the radio components? :dontknow:

DRTSB
11-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Sounds like a bad ground on the antenna, this should not happen, in my area I have all kinds of high tension wires, no problems.

Dave ;)