PDA

View Full Version : Glasses and anti-fog issues

MindlessMuse
11-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Good day everyone!

I am hoping someone on here can help me as I think I am at my wits end here.

I do believe I have tried just about every known concoction to man regarding trying to keep my glasses from fogging up in my helmet and this mornings 23(F) commute, was about the most miserable I have ever been in my short time on my Spyder. I hadn't even closed down the visor to begin my journey and could not see.

I have read different reports about how having anti-glare and other protective coatings can limit the effectiveness of ant-fog solutions, but am not sure if that is completely accurate.

If I need to go get another pair without any type of coatings on I will, but would rather see if anyone else has had success with anything before going that route.

Thanks!

Kevyn
aka MindlessMuse

Bob Denman
11-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Is there any way that you can just keep some air flowing over the lenses to keep them clear? When I was snowmobiling; that's what I'd do. I'd wear a balaclava under the helmet to keep my face from icing up, and it seemed to work just fine.
Coating, magical cloths... all of that stuff is more hype that hope...

SPYD3R
11-30-2012, 09:10 AM
i agree with Bob... i have a half dozen bottles of 'stuff' that's suppose to keep your lenses from fogging - to no avail...
keep your vents in the OPEN position on your helmet... both front and rear...
my glasses will fog up only when i come to a stop, and then i just push my wind-screen open a little to clear them...
RYDE ON FELLA.... :yes:

arntufun
11-30-2012, 09:59 AM
People will post all sorts of different fixes and home remedys in this thread but this post is the only way to stop it for real. One person tried to tell me to cut a potato in half and rub it on the lenses. I was foolish enough to try it, and trust me it doesn't work.

As someone that has to wear glasses myself and also tried everything under the sun, the only thing that works is.............

Bob Denman
11-30-2012, 10:10 AM
:shocked:
Question: Are there any issues with contact lenses that somebody who might be new to using them should know about, before trying them in the rather harsh conditions imparted by motorcycling?

arntufun
11-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Question: Are there any issues with contact lenses that somebody who might be new to using them should know about, before trying them in the rather harsh conditions imparted by motorcycling?

3 words............... FULL FACE HELMET !!!!!!!!! Lenses will dry out very quickly if you don't.

MindlessMuse
11-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks Everyone.

I have thought about contacts for a while, but just wasn't sure if I wanted to have to deal with the fuss and muss of putting them in and taking them out. But after this morning and a few other fun foggy times, they will probably be the best long-term solution for me.

Until then, I think I will just have to make sure I have the vents open enough to allow the air to get in there to help.

arntufun
11-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks Everyone.

I have thought about contacts for a while, but just wasn't sure if I wanted to have to deal with the fuss and muss of putting them in and taking them out. But after this morning and a few other fun foggy times, they will probably be the best long-term solution for me.

Until then, I think I will just have to make sure I have the vents open enough to allow the air to get in there to help.

There is another way if you can afford it............

Bob Denman
11-30-2012, 10:46 AM
My brother had that done to his eyes... They recorded a video of the procedure...

The Bum had the nerve to show it to us before a July 4th picnic dinner! :barf:

wyliec
11-30-2012, 11:25 AM
I use fog tech on the inside and outside of the lenses of my glasses. It works for me.

I also have a pin lock for my arai helmet to prevent the shield from fogging.

But, for others, nothing works; I'd try one or two things before giving up.

asp125
11-30-2012, 12:07 PM
In addition to vents, I have one of these in my helmet to direct my breath down and away from my glasses. (Respro foggy)
http://www.wixoo.com/up_files/image/Article/2010/12/06/70204395.jpg

Some helmets are more prone to fogging too.. Shoei for example, is worse than my Scorpion.

MouthPiece
11-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Perhaps spit? or for political correctness saliva? I'm saying this in all sincerity in that is what we used for our goggles in swimming competition and scuba diving.

Chris

FlaBound
11-30-2012, 12:34 PM
I recently bought a Shoie Neotech for winter riding.Comes standard with a pin lock shield, and a removeable "breath guard", that directs breath down and away from the shield.
I also wear glasses ( with no special coating), and only have a fogging issue when I first put on the helmet.
It's not yet realy cold here in Maryland. I've been out in the upper 30's at night, and so far so good.

ARtraveler
11-30-2012, 01:54 PM
:agree: with all of the above. I have a full face helmet and it will fog, along with my eyeglasses if the vents and face shield are in the closed position. I always leave the face plate open a crack to let the air circulate. When stopping, I open it up. That seems to solve the fogging problems for me.

NancysToy
11-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Glasses are a problem in cold weather no matter what you do. As you have learned, they will fog even before you finish buckling your helmet and get ready to go. I put mine on at the very last possible minute, but even that isn't always successful. Once you are moving, cracking the face shield open helps. The pinlock shields and similar two-layer accessories help the helmet shield, but not the glasses. Just use Cat Crap, Never Fog, Spritz, Artic Cat anti-fog cleaner, swimming anti-fog drops, or any other product on both sides of the glasses, put them on at the very last minute, and keep the shield fully open until you are moving, then crack it when underway...and hope for the best. In real tough situations, I just leave the glasses in my pocket, and ride through the blur, but my eyes aren't so bad that I am blind...just blurry.

Bob Denman
11-30-2012, 02:37 PM
:agree:
Asp125 posted a pic of a pretty good way to keep the "exhaust gases" out of the cabin... :thumbup:
Anything that you can do to deflect your breath away will help.

bluestratos
11-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Being in the great northwest we get a lot of rain. If I close the shield on my Scopion 900 to keep the rain out my glasses fog even with the vents open. If I leave it open a crack the rain will run down the inside of the shield making it really hard to see. one option will be to modify the shield to allow it to remain open but still seal across the top but this harder than it sounds.

Good luck, maybe someone has an answer out there.

Bob Denman
11-30-2012, 02:52 PM
I've heard of some folks attaching a piece of foam across the top of the shield. it's flexible and compressible; but will keep the water from dripping down the inside of the shield.

mxz600
11-30-2012, 03:05 PM
The best helmets for fog are made by the same company that makes your Spyder. The BRP Modular 2 & BV2S.

Instead of using the more common breath deflector, BRP uses a breath evacuator system, and it works. A breath deflector simply moves your breath downward, but not out. The breath evac system has a mask (similar to a fighter pilots oxygen mask) that fits tight against your face. Two tubes are connected to the mask and they vent out the side of the helmet.

I own three of these helmets, one for each of the riders in my family. Myself and my boy wear glasses, if these didn't work I wouldn't have three of them as they are not cheap.

I tried finding some good pics on line for you but to no avail. Tomorrow I could post pictures of my helmet if you would like.

Below is a picture of one of my friends with his helmet and links to ebay for BRP helmets.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ski-doo+modular+2+helmets&_sacat=0&_odkw=ski-doo+modular+helmets&_osacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ski-doo+BVS+helmets&_sacat=0&_odkw=ski-doo+modular+2+helmets&_osacat=0

arntufun
11-30-2012, 03:16 PM
The best helmets for fog are made by the same company that makes your Spyder. The BRP Modular 2 & BV2S.

Instead of using the more common breath deflector, BRP uses a breath evacuator system, and it works. A breath deflector simply moves your breath downward, but not out. The breath evac system has a mask (similar to a fighter pilots oxygen mask) that fits tight against your face. Two tubes are connected to the mask and they vent out the side of the helmet.

I own three of these helmets, one for each of the riders in my family. Myself and my boy wear glasses, if these didn't work I wouldn't have three of them as they are not cheap.

I tried finding some good pics on line for you but to no avail. Tomorrow I could post pictures of my helmet if you would like.

Below is a picture of one of my friends with his helmet and links to ebay for BRP helmets.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ski-doo+modular+2+helmets&_sacat=0&_odkw=ski-doo+modular+helmets&_osacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ski-doo+BVS+helmets&_sacat=0&_odkw=ski-doo+modular+2+helmets&_osacat=0

At least your friend has good taste in Sleds judging by his coat. What happened to you ????? :roflblack:

Bob Denman
11-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Randy,
Do you still have that Black and Green blood coursing through your veins? :shocked:
Just remember; it's a BRP (Ski Doo) helmet that they're using! :thumbup:

bullant12
11-30-2012, 03:24 PM
In addition to vents, I have one of these in my helmet to direct my breath down and away from my glasses. (Respro foggy)
http://www.wixoo.com/up_files/image/Article/2010/12/06/70204395.jpg

Some helmets are more prone to fogging too.. Shoei for example, is worse than my Scorpion.

Seems like BILT (Cycle Gear) has them now... http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/Fog_Shield_Mask/web1011536

mxz600
11-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Below is a video on the BV2S and the Modular 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIeBXo4Z8lI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmmEco7S2e8

mxz600
11-30-2012, 03:32 PM
At least your friend has good taste in Sleds judging by his coat. What happened to you ????? :roflblack:

I just knew you were going to pop up on here.

I love riding with my AC friends. As long as they are in front of me or still behind me I know I don't have to worry about running out of gas.nojoke

asp125
11-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Instead of using the more common breath deflector, BRP uses a breath evacuator system, and it works. A breath deflector simply moves your breath downward, but not out. The breath evac system has a mask (similar to a fighter pilots oxygen mask) that fits tight against your face. Two tubes are connected to the mask and they vent out the side of the helmet. ...

Psssshhhhh.... gaaaaahhhhhh, pssssssshhhhhh... gaaaaahhhhhh.. Luke, I am your father!

crazyspyder
11-30-2012, 04:23 PM
There is another way if you can afford it............

YUP- had this done in October 2012, WOW it's like medieval black majic. Chunked the old poorly scratched glasses (after I stomped them) in the trash....I can see 20/20 both eyes. my wife n I had it done together. best investment of my life!:yes:
:clap:

Marker
11-30-2012, 05:35 PM

I have an eye condition that requires me to wear hard contact lens to be able to see, glasses do not help me.
I have worn contact lens for about 25yrs.
The worst thing that I have found while riding spyders is to not wear anything covering your eyes ,dust and debris are your enemy and when they get into your eyes it feels like some one is poking you in the eye. What I always wear and have found these glasses to be the best for me are Oakley Wind Jacket http://ca.oakley.com/products/6667/24876. I do not care about cost, yes they are not cheap. They have a gasket that lets air circulate around your eyes but also break the swirling motion of air that enters eyes bringing debris with it. When the sun lens are not needed I switch them out and install the clear lens that came with the glasses. You can also get these glasses with prescription lens in them. If it rains then I put down my visor while still wearing the glasses. I always ride with my visor up when wearing my full face helmet or my open face helmet has no visor.:doorag:

Marker
11-30-2012, 05:40 PM
3 words............... FULL FACE HELMET !!!!!!!!! Lenses will dry out very quickly if you don't.

Not true at all read my posting:lecturef_smilie: Dry enviroment dries out contact lens , in hot weather you need to use lubricating drops to prevent dry eyes, air flow is important but not blasting air on your face. In the winter if you drive your car with the heater on high blowing through the vents on your face your contact lens will dry out , if you do not beleive me just try it.

arntufun
11-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Not true at all read my posting:lecturef_smilie: Dry enviroment dries out contact lens , in hot weather you need to use lubricating drops to prevent dry eyes, air flow is important but not blasting air on your face. In the winter if you drive your car with the heater on high blowing through the vents on your face your contact lens will dry out , if you do not beleive me just try it.

I guess you need to reread my post again or your just not understanding it. :dontknow:

Do you realize that a full face helmet has a shield on it to keep the blasting air from hitting your eyes and drying out your contacts, and thats what I was saying ???????

If you come up with a way to put lubricating drops in your eyes while you ride, then you will be a millionaire. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-30-2012, 06:08 PM
There's still going to be more movement of air due to simple venturi effects around all of the openings... :shocked:

arntufun
11-30-2012, 06:43 PM
There's still going to be more movement of air due to simple venturi effects around all of the openings... :shocked:

You must have one of those helmets like MXZ has.......... :roflblack:

Dizneyman
11-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Perhaps spit? or for political correctness saliva? I'm saying this in all sincerity in that is what we used for our goggles in swimming competition and scuba diving.

Chris

I agree...best thing for fog...got ole spit!!

Dizneyman
11-30-2012, 07:32 PM
These are also pretty cool. Great for cold weather, optics are great, and they have a model you can wear glasses under. Solid colors or painted.

www.secondfaceon.com

NancysToy
11-30-2012, 09:33 PM
I agree...best thing for fog...got ole spit!!

Maybe in Florida, but up here, in the low 20s, it freezes. nojoke

MLavore
11-30-2012, 10:23 PM
There is merit to people saying that coatings can prevent the anti-fog solution from working. First, many of the anti-fog solutions dry onto the surface as a residue which is hydrophobic or prevents moisture from building on top of it. If the outer coating on that surface is too...slick? hard to explain but the coating would apply unevenly or not thick enough. Think about how windex makes a streak that's not the size of the area you are fully wiping, only part of the glass is causing the solution to stick to the glass then evaporate. You would get the same effect with treated glass, uneven and unreliable applications.

crw8781
11-30-2012, 10:35 PM
I have a modular helmet by Bilt with a vent on top. I keep it open until I start moving, I have no problems with fogging up it works for me.

Good day everyone!

I am hoping someone on here can help me as I think I am at my wits end here.

I do believe I have tried just about every known concoction to man regarding trying to keep my glasses from fogging up in my helmet and this mornings 23(F) commute, was about the most miserable I have ever been in my short time on my Spyder. I hadn't even closed down the visor to begin my journey and could not see.

I have read different reports about how having anti-glare and other protective coatings can limit the effectiveness of ant-fog solutions, but am not sure if that is completely accurate.

If I need to go get another pair without any type of coatings on I will, but would rather see if anyone else has had success with anything before going that route.

Thanks!

Kevyn
aka MindlessMuse

Bob Denman
12-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Maybe in Florida, but up here, in the low 20s, it freezes. nojoke

:agree: Snowmobiling taught us all THAT lesson! :shocked:

SpydeRider2010
12-01-2012, 09:45 AM
have yet to find anything that REALLY works....

just gotta stay moving ;)

Bob Denman
12-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Agreed... Airflow is the most-effective solution. :thumbup:

Marker
12-01-2012, 10:57 AM
I guess you need to reread my post again or your just not understanding it. :dontknow:

Do you realize that a full face helmet has a shield on it to keep the blasting air from hitting your eyes and drying out your contacts, and thats what I was saying ???????

If you come up with a way to put lubricating drops in your eyes while you ride, then you will be a millionaire. :thumbup:

I read your posting again , I understand what you are saying but I think the key to both of our comments is eye protection ie a visor or some sort of riding glasses:thumbup:. When we stop and take a break that is when I put a few drops in if the need arises. I use a full face helmet but never ride with the visor down because I always have my riding glasses on . I find the I get too hot with the visor down ,the only time I ride with the visor down or partially down is when it is raining.

MikeinGA
12-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Rainx anti-fog! Never went riding or racing without it. That's IMHO.

Mike

bluestratos
12-01-2012, 11:11 AM
I have glass lenses, I wonder if plastic are a bit less prone to fogging?

MikeinGA
12-01-2012, 11:58 AM

Most plastic lenses have a coating to help stop fogging and are less likely to break.

Mike

arntufun
12-01-2012, 12:33 PM
As perdicted in post 4, I see most of the home remedies and solutions have now been posted. Lets set those witchcraft remedies aside now and get to some facts. :roflblack:

When water warm vapor from your breath (or heat disapating from your head) contacts your colder glasses in your helmet (without sufficent air flow), heat energy flows from the vapor to the glass. When that happens, the water molecules in the vapor lose some of their thermal energy and become able to cling to each other and to your glasses surface -- thus the fogging on your glasses inside your helmet.....................

You can't beat inertia, death, taxes or your glasses fogging. :roflblack: I hope this helps. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-01-2012, 12:55 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif How'd you get so darn smart??? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif :2thumbs:
That's why the movement of air helps; it'll keep the nasties from landing on the lens surface, or it'll help to dry things back up.
But then it'll play havoc with your contacts... :shocked: :gaah:

NancysToy
12-01-2012, 04:06 PM

My plastic ones fog, too...just like my glass ones.

Questions
12-01-2012, 04:45 PM
I have used this for years on ski goggles. It has always worked well for me.
http://www.amazon.com/Ek-123625-Cat-Crap-Anti-Fog/dp/B002ZNA488

MouthPiece
12-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Oh boy. Cat crap. I wonder if this thread is gonna head in the same direction as a thread we had a couple of years back involving "Monkey Butt" powder?

Chris