PDA

View Full Version : Questions from new purchaser

Snoockimsd
11-29-2012, 07:13 PM
I am purchasing a 2008 GS SE5 from a private owner. The byke has 1800 miles on it. I have been a GoldWing rider and know very little about the Spyder. What questions should I ask about the maintenance & recalls? Is there anything special I should be looking for as far as "red flags"? The local dealer has all the maintenance records, but I'm not sure the owner is being upfront about everything. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. I hope this is a good deal becuase I am REALLY looking forward to riding the Spyder!!!

SPYD3R
11-29-2012, 07:55 PM
WELCOME to the SPYD3R CLUTCH..... :yes: :clap: ;)
take your nu ryde to an autorized dealers and pay the $100 to have them go thru it completely... they'll tell you everything u'll need 2 no 'bout what it needs, ie: recalls, service, etc...
then ryde your butt off n enjoy... there is NOTHING like the SPYD3R, so understand, u won't feel like u'r on 2 wheels anymore... much more comfortable and stable....
keep ask'n questions my friend.... we r here 2 help all NUBIES.....

wyliec
11-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Good advice from SPYD3R. However, you may want to check up front on the price the dealer charges and if they are a good dealer.

Recluze
11-29-2012, 08:08 PM
1) Make certain it has had the DPS recall done on it. If not, don't ride it until it has.
2) Next look for any electrical mods. If these are not done correctly you will probably have problems with them.
3) Change your battery and all of the relays. You are going to do this in the next couple of months any way.
4) Have the dealer hook it up to BUDS and they can then tell pretty much how hard the engine has been run and of course if all of the maintenance has been done.
5) Then ride the heck out of it.

I bought a used 2008 earlier this year and did all of the above except for #4. I have had some bad luck with Spyder service and I am avoiding a repeat of that as long as possible. Good Luck.

wyliec
11-29-2012, 08:19 PM
1)
3) Change your battery and all of the relays. You are going to do this in the next couple of months any way.

I can understand having extra relays on hand; but, why change a relay before it fails? I have a 2008 GS, purchased new, ridden for 4 seasons with no relay failure.

SPYD3R
11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Good advice from SPYD3R. However, you may want to check up front on the price the dealer charges and if they are a good dealer.

Wyliec: aren't all the SYPD3R service centers 110% UP FRONT....?
POWERSPORTS of GREENVILLE, my SPYD3R Service Dealer is...

but ya, always make certain you bring your SPYD3R to a good service center... :yes:

ARtraveler
11-30-2012, 12:02 AM
All good advice above. Is the current owner a member of Spyderlovers? If so you can go back and look at all their posts about the Spyder in question. Sometimes gives you a good idea of the mechanical history.

Bob Denman
11-30-2012, 09:06 AM
All good advice above. Is the current owner a member of Spyderlovers? If so you can go back and look at all their posts about the Spyder in question. Sometimes gives you a good idea of the mechanical history.

Good idea! :agree: :thumbup:

Recluze
11-30-2012, 09:16 AM
I can understand having extra relays on hand; but, why change a relay before it fails? I have a 2008 GS, purchased new, ridden for 4 seasons with no relay failure.

I had two fail in about two months of ownership of the new to me 2008, so I just changed them all. And carry spares. I am often out alone, in areas where there is no cell phone coverage so I try to do as much 'time change' stuff as i can just to avoid a problem. But certainly carrying spares is a viable alternative as they are easy to change.

SGSpyderGirl
11-30-2012, 09:33 AM
I am purchasing a 2008 GS SE5 from a private owner. The byke has 1800 miles on it. I have been a GoldWing rider and know very little about the Spyder. What questions should I ask about the maintenance & recalls? Is there anything special I should be looking for as far as "red flags"? The local dealer has all the maintenance records, but I'm not sure the owner is being upfront about everything. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. I hope this is a good deal becuase I am REALLY looking forward to riding the Spyder!!!

I acutally just got an 08 GS this past monday and found out there is a recall on the power steering so its going in today for that.

Bob Denman
11-30-2012, 10:14 AM
That hadn't been replaced yet? :shocked:
Thanks goodness that it's now been caught! :thumbup:

d.o.spyder-rts
11-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Another thing I would check in addition to what's all ready been suggested is the tires. Check not only for tread depth, but tire rot also. Dale

mcaccamise
12-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Good catch on the tires on a 2008 that hasent been riden much they may look good but may have dry rot cracking on the side walls and should be changed.

MikeinGA
12-07-2012, 02:44 PM

That's really low mileage. If it's been in storage for a long time the tires may be a problem and check seals for leakage. Change the oil to Amsoil and the "A" arms greased. Fill it up with high test gas and 1/3 bottel of Seafoam for gas engines,due this for the first three fill ups. Change spark plus wires to BajaRon's wires they the best on market, and fairly priced. It may need a new battery. Pay to have a good dealer check it out. This may cost $100.00 to $200.00, May save you thousands later. If things need to be done have the seller get them done or take it off the price. That's IMHO.

Mike