PDA

View Full Version : rs trailer wiring

Tx web rider
11-27-2012, 08:42 PM
i have been looking through the forums for wiring for a rs all i am finding is rt colors for wires

i was attempting to wire my 09 rs to pull a small trailer for the PGR group i ride with for a support vehicle to carry the flags to the site

i bought the pigtails from tricled so there was no splicing wires

problem i have my brakes and running lights work fine but the turn signals dont work ?

i installed both a flat 4 system using a after market converter to pull my small utility trailer i have

and a 5 wire setup for the PGR trailer

neither setup works with blinkers

i put the tricled pigtails from the blinkers in line and hooked up as normal there is 2 different wires for each turn indicator a white and a brown is there a difference which i connect to ?

NancysToy
11-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Not sure what you are looking at, but the wires feeding the left rear signal light should be Gray w/Pink and the ground should be Black. The wires on the socket side of the connector are Gray and Black. The right side harness wires are supposed to be Brown w/Yellow and the ground is Black. The socket wires are listed as Green(?) and Black. If I recall correctly, the turn signals are only functional when the engine is running, except in 4-way flasher mode. Merely turning on the key may not work.

The trailer signals should work with a 5-wire trailer by simply tapping the wires. Most owners have gotten 4-wire trailers to work with a Hopkins converter, but some other converters do not work with trailers with LED lights or with LED signal bulb replacements. They may also not work with auxiliary lighting modules such as the Triple Play.

Tx web rider
11-27-2012, 11:12 PM
where i guess the color change is coming in is the givi bags with the extensions for the turn signals might have different colors should i be connected in the (grey's) '

my turn signals do blink with the key in the on position guess i need to recheck with running i do know in this configuration the 4 flat did not work turn signals running or not

NancysToy
11-27-2012, 11:38 PM
The flat-4 problem may lie in the converter. Do you have any LED lights on the trailer or Spyder? Converters don't seem to like them. Thanks for the info about the key and the turn signals. I am not sure I ever tried it....and I am not sure it works the same on the RT.

Tx web rider
11-27-2012, 11:48 PM
no leds on trailer or bike

NancysToy
11-28-2012, 09:27 AM
I guess that first I would test the wires leading to the converter, to see that there was poer (or a good connection) there with the turn signals on. If so, the converter isn't compatible, and you might try an alternate brand. I know the Hopkins converters work, as does the one offered by Bushtec. Converters are very fussy. If there is no (intermittant) power at the signal wires, you probably have the wrong wires or an inadequate ground.

sabunim5
11-29-2012, 08:27 PM
I just used a 5 wire set up on the Spyder and the trailer. No problems at all. :thumbup:

retread
11-29-2012, 09:33 PM
I used a Hopkins powered 5 to 4 converter, tapped into a fuse block for power, positaps into the light wiring, it uses the signals on the light wiring to trip circuits for the trailer lights, doesn't care what knid of lights they are, and, except for the trigger wires, isolates the Spyder from the trailer. Run the wiring harness forward from the taillight area and down the swingarm to a flat 4 connector mounted on the hitch, works for me.

john