PDA

View Full Version : XM radio

BuddaBelly
11-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Is there a way to hook up my portable XM radio to work through?
my Spyder
radio?

scooterexpress
11-27-2012, 12:35 PM
yes through the harness in the rear trunk.works on my rts..sound not as loud though the radio needs a amp to boost volume.

acinpcola
11-27-2012, 01:42 PM
yes through the harness in the rear trunk.works on my rts..sound not as loud though the radio needs a amp to boost volume.

:agree: that is where mine goes also

AC:spyder2:

DRTSB
11-27-2012, 02:35 PM
To get increased volume out of your Portable XM radio try this inline amplifier, if you want to control the radio, you'll have to mount it up front and take a 3.5MM extension cable from the radio to the trunk where the 3.5 MP3 adaptor from BRP plugs in, works for me!

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E11-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0053KWDES/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Dave ;)

Bob Denman
11-27-2012, 02:55 PM
HOw do you hook the satellite radio into the harness? Through that IPod plug and connector?

Sarge707
11-27-2012, 03:14 PM
I have the Base RT and wonder if there is a way to get XM radio just through ear buds- I have No wish or need for speakers!:dontknow:

DRTSB
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
HOw do you hook the satellite radio into the harness? Through that IPod plug and connector?

There is a harness that you can get from BRP that plugs into the same plug you're thinking of, the other end will plug into the amplifier or directly to the 3.5MM plug on the XM radio, now you can control the volume from the front.

Dave ;)

DRTSB
11-27-2012, 03:32 PM
I have the Base RT and wonder if there is a way to get XM radio just through ear buds- I have No wish or need for speakers!:dontknow:

XM has a unit that you can put in your pocket called the XMP3, just like a MP3 player, you plug the earbuds into that and off you go, it has an antenna, and you get an external antenna with it if you get the car kit, they sell it with the kit or alone. 60 or 70 bucks

Dave ;)

Bob Denman
11-27-2012, 03:50 PM
There is a harness that you can get from BRP that plugs into the same plug you're thinking of, the other end will plug into the amplifier or directly to the 3.5MM plug on the XM radio, now you can control the volume from the front.

Dave ;)

Thanks Dave! This will be an option worth exploring! :thumbup:

BuddaBelly
11-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Thank you all for the info.

Sopher
11-27-2012, 10:48 PM
search for my XM post under author: Sopher

lookerjdc
11-28-2012, 12:11 AM
How do you usecthe xm app on a iphone/ipod thru the onbosrd radio sydtem??

Cavman
11-28-2012, 02:31 AM
I have a Delfi Roady that I've been using in my cages for years. I made a small box to put in the Spyder trunk out of Kydex.
The power plug includes a transmitter. I also added an antenna to the top of the trunk lid. I set the transmitter to 88.1 FM. I tune my radio to 88.1 FM and listen to my XM radio through my speakers. If I want to change the XM channel, I have to go to the trunk to do it.
I have this set up in the mods section here.

If you look at the photo to the left, you can see my XM antenna.

DRTSB
11-28-2012, 06:45 AM

Subscribe to XM's online service, I think it's 2 dollars a month, or free on certain plans, be carefull though, it uses your data plan, ok if you have umlimited.

Dave ;)

lyonsden
11-28-2012, 10:36 AM

I think if you use the mp3 hookup (plugs in the same place as the ipod cord) you can start the app on your phone and it will play through the spyder radio speakers. I do it with the Pandora app. You just can't change the channel very easily.

DRTSB
11-28-2012, 10:52 AM
There is another option using the iPhone or iPod touch, get the XM Skydock, plug it into a cigarette lighter socket, it's an FM tranmitter, I use 88.1 on the FM dial, start the free Skydock app, this turns your iPhone or iPod Touch (yes the iPod touch works) into a fully fucnctional XM radio, I paid $69 for mine, they are listed on the XM site for $129, with this option, there is no data on your phone plan used.

If you have any other apps such as Navigation GPS, they work to using the FM transmitter.

Dave ;)