PDA

View Full Version : Extended ride review on the ST (very long report)

Lamonster
11-25-2012, 01:41 PM
As many of you know I had the chance to ride the first ST prototype just over a year ago and I was very pleased at what I saw and felt about this new line of Spyder. It really filled a gap between the RS and the RT and had the sporty feel of the RS with the posture more like a RT with some of the same wind protection of the RT. Even so my ride was just enough to get me excited but was not what I would call a real world test as I don't think anyone can give you a definitive report on a day ride or a couple of hours, you need to put some real miles in real weather to judge if the bike/Spyder is up for the task.

ST on the left RT on the right
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57812&d=1353862013

There were seven prototype ST's out at various dealers for the purpose of getting customer feedback. Most of these folks were Spyder owners that the data was collected from. I found out about this program when is was just about over and was able to pull some strings to get one of the seven for an extended time to put some long range miles on it. My first trip was to the IMS show in Dallas TX and that was right at a 2000 mile trip for me and would be perfect to see how the ST did with some long days in the saddle.

In typical Lamonster fashion I had to take the ST apart to see what was changed on the new unit. The one I rode before was not the same as the production unit and even though this was not a production Spyder it is pretty darn close to what will be shipping out soon. I like to know my rides inside and out before I go on any long trips with them and I knew I would have an ST of my own soon and I wanted to figure out a few things before I got my unit. This was the perfect chance to do that.

One of the first things I needed to do was to hookup my Garmin 660 to the ST. I'm so directionally challenged it's not funny. There's no way I could go that far without a GPS to get me there. The trick was I had to make it so I could take it off when I returned the ST so I couldn't do what I really wanted to do and that was to mount the GPS on top of the dash. I had to leave no trace of me doing this mod so drilling holes and adding a RAM mount was out of the question.

I dug through my junk and found a handlebar mount from RAM that worked out perfect. I put a little padding on it so it wouldn't scratch the clutch reservoir and it turned out to be the perfect place to mount it. I may mount mine in the same place when I get it but mine is an SE so I'll have to come up with another option for the ball mount. I really like having it closer to me and it's not bad for looking at while you're going down the road.

RAM handlebar mount
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57810&d=1353861679

Nice location
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57811&d=1353861681

So now I need to find a place to grab power for the GPS and they made that really easy for me on the ST. On the left side when you're sitting on the bike just under the trunk lid there is a great place to grab power. This is "hot" all the time so unless you plan on putting a switched relay you need to make sure you turn off your GPS when you park or just remove it from the cradle.

Positive and Negative threaded post
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57813&d=1353862147

The next thing I needed to do for this trip was to add some highway brackets so that I could stretch out from time to time on those long open roads. I knew they made some frame changes so I had no idea if the brackets I had for the RS was going to work or not. Not only did they work but they have added a new cross brace that makes these even stronger than they were on the RS. That was a great surprise to see. These bolted right up without doing any mods. I did wind up putting a little twist in the bracket when I got to SpyderPops shop to make it just perfect for me.

Bolted right up with the current RS brackets
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57818&d=1353862470

I was leaving the next day for Dallas by way of Arkansas and that's all I needed to get done for the trip. This ST didn't have a hitch setup so I had to pack my gear in the trunk and a bag that I strapped on the back. I got to tell you I miss having my trailer, it's so nice to pack anything you think you might need in it. I will have a hitch on my ST for sure so I can tow my RT-622 behind it on trips like these. As it was I kept my riding gear in the trunk and my hotel stuff in my bag on the back. That worked out just fine for this trip.

When I left East TN it was 37 degrees and very heavy fog. It didn't get into the upper 40's till I got about 7 hours out. I had a one piece thermal suit on and that did pretty good but I found out you still get cold if you ride that fast for that long. Not sure what the windchill was but I was pretty darn cold. The ST has good wind protection but the RT has better for sure. On the RT it's almost like riding in a bubble compared to the RS or ST. I guess the RT has made me a little soft because that didn't use to bother me that much. I still enjoyed the ride but I was wishing I had heated grips on this ST, mine will have heated grips for sure. I also found out you can not pee in a one piece thermal suit unless you pull your arms out and drop it down far enough to get the frighten turtle out of his shell if you know what I mean. That was almost a disaster! I guess I should say you will pee in your suit if you don't pull your arms out and drop the suit.

This whole time I was really critiquing what I liked and didn't like about the ST. One of the first things you notice compared to the RT is how sporty it feels. I know I've ridden with plenty of RS's on my RT and never had any trouble keeping up but the ST just feels faster and I'm sure it is somewhat just because of the weight difference between the two. I found that it felt right to run the RPM's up to 7-8K before shifting because it wasn't a touring feel, more of a sport feel. It felt very light and nibble to me.

The next thing you notice is how well it hugs the road. There's a little less power steering at slow speeds so it is a little harder to turn at first but that lends itself to feeling more stable once you get going. It really handled like a dream on the open road and in the twisties. I don't think you'll ever here the comments that it feels squirrely like you did on previous models. And I'm still getting a little wake-up call when I hit the brakes. It stops so nice now with the new Brembo brakes that it will stop sooner than you expect if you're use to your old Spyder.

The wind protection was pretty good. I got no head buffeting and I didn't get wind pushing me from behind like I do on the RT. Because it was so cold I rode with the windshield all the way up most of the time but after I got to Texas and it warmed up a bit I dropped it down and it was nice to get a little more wind in my face. The ST feels more motorcycle like to me in the way the wind hits you and your exposure to the elements. It has just enough protection from the wind and rain to make it nice but not so much that you feel like you're riding in a bubble.

I used the cruise control quite a bit on this trip and it worked flawlessly. Like I said before I missed my heated grips but that is an option and I missed my iPod integration but once again that is an option on the ST. Those were two things I really like having that are on my RT. I was glad to see that BRP went with the SENA Bluetooth Headsets as an option because that's what I'm using now and I love them. On my RT I could pair with my phone that was plugged into the RT and change songs from the controls on the bars and it was charging the phone at the same time. On the ST it was not tied in to the sound system so I didn't have those controls but once again that is an option.

On my run to Harveys place I started to get a little squirmy about 600 miles into the trip. I was not liking the stock seat near as much as I do my Corbin seat. That was my only real complaint about the ST going out but the funny thing was coming back the seat was not an issue for the same amount of miles. I don't know if the seat broke in or my butt did but it wasn't bad after 650+ mile day. I still want a Corbin on my ST.

You have to understand that I didn't tell anyone other than Harvey and Terri and my wife that I was making this trip. It was to be a surprise when we got there and I was able to pull that off. The ride from Harveys place was less than 300 miles so it made for a nice easy days ride. The first thing I did was offer Harvey a ride on the ST and he was glad to take it out and check it out. He didn't get to put a lot of time on it but he did notice how well it handled.

Where's your helmet Harvey? :lecturef_smilie:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57824&d=1353866315

The next thing we did was to put it up on his rack and take a good look at the belly of the beast. My lift is not open like his so it was nice to get under it and see all the changes that were made. That was really cool.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57827&d=1353866568

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57826&d=1353866566

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57825&d=1353866564

Friday morning it was me, Harvey and his wife Terri heading for Dallas, one RS, one RT and one ST. We all had the same headsets and somewhere we figured out how to pair them all together. It was really cool being able to talk to each other as we were going down the road. The weather was pretty good but real windy. Terri is a new rider but she did great and by the end of the trip she was no longer a noob, she pretty much did it all on this trip, wind, rain, back-road twisties, city traffic and high speed highway driving. I was so proud of her and so was Harvey.

She liked to stop at the State signs
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57829&d=1353867109

I took one with the ST just to prove I was there
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57828&d=1353867107

Somewhere in the middle of this trip Harvey and I swapped Spyders, me on his borrowed RT and him on my loaner ST. It was cool to trade like that as you could really get an idea of how different the two rides were. I can tell you the wind is no fun on any of them but it would have been worst if I was on a bike for sure.

We got to the show in time to look around a bit and the first person I saw was flamingobabe and the look on her face was great. She had no idea I was going to be there and especially not on the ST, mission accomplished.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57830&d=1353867996

I got my first look at the ST I have on order and it was great to sit on it and get a feel for the changes I want to make to make it mine. It's a great color and it brings me back to my roots when I bought my first yellow Spyder back in 2007. It's hard to believe I'm still so excited about the Spyder 5 years later.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57831&d=1353867998

Seeing this is suppose to be a ride report and it's getting long in the tooth now I'll leave it be. We had a great time at the show and saw some old friends and made some new ones and was able to meet some folks from the board and Facebook that I knew but just never met in person. That's what's great about any Spyder get together, the people. The ride was great too but I was glad to get home to my warm bed and shower. The weather could have been a little warmer and a little dryer and that would have made it perfect but I did get a good long test drive on the ST and it's going to workout just great for me. It will be great for all I do including long cross country rides.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57833&d=1353868857

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57832&d=1353868855

Bob Denman
11-25-2012, 02:12 PM
GREAT write-up Lamont! :clap: :firstplace:

So just how were you able to keep all this from over 9000 of your closest friends for this long??? :shocked:

Lamonster
11-25-2012, 02:15 PM
It wasn't easy and I was going to wait till I did a Deals Gap run before I did my ride report but I've yet to make it up there so this is better than nothing I guess.

JkRbbt
11-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanx, man! It's getting more and more difficult not to just go to the dealer and slap money down on a new ST. I'm riding a Beemer RT right now, but plan to trade it in the spring. I know I like the Spyder RT and was waiting put a leg over a ST before making a final decision. But it sounds like the ST might be close to my BMW for "motorcycle feel" while enjoying all the aspects of the Spyderdom. Anyhow, I appreciate the info while waiting for an ST to show up at the dealer.

Bob Denman
11-25-2012, 02:46 PM
It looks as if the weather is closing in on you guys as well... :gaah:
We'll forgive you for this severe breach of ettiquette.. this time! ;) :roflblack:

flamingobabe
11-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the report...and yes you surprised me.....I really want a white ST-Limited....not fond of the chrome wheels and exhaust...I think I'll find someone who want a yellow ST-S with the chrome wind deflectors and swap wheels and exhaust...I think the white would look good without the chrome.....and the yellow with the chrome...I would love to be able to have an extended test ride on the ST...then I know for sure I would own one....right now on the fence....2 and a half years...50,000+ miles with 5 to 6 thousand extras...anyone want to buy it from me?

lil rabbit
11-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the report on the new ST. Now that someone has a good long trip to report on and answered some questions I had about the new ST's. Can't wait to see one in person. The dealers in the Pacific Northwest have not received any on the new models as of yet. Motorcylce show is in December and I am planning to go. Once again thanks Lamont for the review.

Lamonster
11-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the report on the new ST. Now that someone has a good long trip to report on and answered some questions I had about the new ST's. Can't wait to see one in person. The dealers in the Pacific Northwest have not received any on the new models as of yet. Motorcylce show is in December and I am planning to go. Once again thanks Lamont for the review.
If you have any questions I haven't covered I'll be glad to try and answer the best I can.

Osros
11-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the report makes my first buying decision on a Spyder and ST is going to be the right one for me. :yes:

ornerydog7
11-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Great report Lamont. I was wondering if you would show up in Dallas. It was great to see and talk to you about the changes. Really liked the adjustable handle bars. It was great to meet FB and Hotglue. Wish I could have hung around longer to meet more Spyderlovers at the show.

Sarge707
11-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the report!:2thumbs: I absorbed every word !

Spyder Cat
11-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks Lamont for the great report. We are chomping at the bit waiting for the ST's arrival at our dealer.

Initially, we were going for the yellow ST but after all the upgrades, it looks like it will be more cost effective to go with the ST Limited. We won't know for sure until we both throw a leg over the saddle, since it'll be filling the space next to Lil Red in our garage where the RT used to be.

Glad to hear they went with Sena too cos that's what we're using now too.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Spydr in KS
11-25-2012, 09:51 PM
:2thumbs::2thumbs: Great report, thanks!! Are you still impressed with the 2013 handling over 2012 now that you had a chance to swap with Harvey?

ARtraveler
11-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Thank you for the write up. :2thumbs:

mcaccamise
11-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Great report Lamont sounds like you had a great trip and the new ST will be a winner for those looking for the confort of a RT and sportyness of the RSS.
Cant waite to see what modes you will be doing when you have your new :spyder2:

Bob Denman
11-26-2012, 07:45 AM
So now it appears that we're just waiting for this bike to hit the showrooms... :shocked:
...And patience is a virtue that NONE of us can wait to acquire! :roflblack:

Lamonster
11-26-2012, 10:22 AM
:2thumbs::2thumbs: Great report, thanks!! Are you still impressed with the 2013 handling over 2012 now that you had a chance to swap with Harvey?

This is as near to perfect from a stock suspension that I can remember. I have some Elkas here at the shop that I plan on swapping out just to see but I can't imagine it being much better than it is now.

Spydr in KS
11-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Hmmm, now I just have to pick a color!! That silver ST-S looks sweet in the pics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
11-26-2012, 11:05 AM
This is as near to perfect from a stock suspension that I can remember. I have some Elkas here at the shop that I plan on swapping out just to see but I can't imagine it being much better than it is now.

:shocked: Wow! Very high praise indeed! :2thumbs:

But I guess that if I could notice the improvement; it had to be spectacular!

Jimmy Neutron
11-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks Lamont for the report.Since my visit at your ranch and reading the post you have done on St I get more excited waiting for mine,, I too would like to switch the chromes for some black wheels.. Again thanks for updates and puting up with my late nite text.. Take care man
:bowdown:

Bryk
12-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Do we know if the tri-axis adjustable handlebars work on the ST yet? Now I'm thinking I am leaning back towards the ST with the Corbin saddlebags and trunk.

fastfraser
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the write-up Lamont. I got my first look at the ST up close and personal yesterday at the Toronto Motorcycle show. I really like what I saw. Some real nice touches, the flexible rubber pads on the foot boards the adjustable windshield ( surprised its not electric ) adjustable handle bars and way better sitting position . One big surprise was the new 4 pin square plug for the trailer .

Bryk
12-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the write-up Lamont. I got my first look at the ST up close and personal yesterday at the Toronto Motorcycle show. I really like what I saw. Some real nice touches, the flexible rubber pads on the foot boards the adjustable windshield ( surprised its not electric ) adjustable handle bars and way better sitting position . One big surprise was the new 4 pin square plug for the trailer .

Are you saying the stock ST handlebars are adjustable? I don't see it listed in the catalog as an accessory which would explain it.

Thank you!

Lamonster
12-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Are you saying the stock ST handlebars are adjustable? I don't see it listed in the catalog as an accessory which would explain it.

Thank you!
They are not and that's not an option for the ST right now.

StanProff
12-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Good Report Lamont. Sounds like the ST is going to fill a good gap in the Spyder offerings. Many of us are very well suited for the RT and will stay with it as it is perfect for our riding style. Others felt more comfortable on the RT as opposed to the RS but it was a big change for them. The ST is a perfect compromise in function and comfort for many potential buyers. It will certanly add to the spyders market share and exposure. All that is left now is a cruiser style to cover the entire range. 2015 maybe? 2013 looks to be an exciting years for Spyderlovers.

Lamonster
12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Good Report Lamont. Sounds like the ST is going to fill a good gap in the Spyder offerings. Many of us are very well suited for the RT and will stay with it as it is perfect for our riding style. Others felt more comfortable on the RT as opposed to the RS but it was a big change for them. The ST is a perfect compromise in function and comfort for many potential buyers. It will certanly add to the spyders market share and exposure. All that is left now is a cruiser style to cover the entire range. 2015 maybe? 2013 looks to be an exciting years for Spyderlovers.

A Cruiser style Spyder will be the Spyder for me. I've always been a cruiser guy and that is a huge part of the market that's missing. This will put the "Too Cool" factor into Spyder, not that they're not cool now. :doorag:

Bryk
12-10-2012, 01:08 PM
A Cruiser style Spyder will be the Spyder for me. I've always been a cruiser guy and that is a huge part of the market that's missing. This will put the "Too Cool" factor into Spyder, not that they're not cool now. :doorag:

After reading your review, I am back leaning towards the ST instead of the RT. It seems there aren't any risers either for the ST??? I have shorter arms. Were you able to have multiple sitting positions on your test trip?

It also seems with 2013 BRP is trying to give the RT even more options with the vented windshield and adjustable side deflectors. Do you think this will reduce the bubble effect?

I feel as though I don't want to make a mistake choosing one over the other. The fact of the matter is it seems to come down to these key things:

ST with Corbin fleetliners and trunk will have more storage space, a sportier feel/ride, and more visually appealing.

RT has its standard storage (the frustrating side loading bags), little room trunk, etc. However it has the air suspension(in your opinion is it a big deal?) option for the vented windshield, wind side deflectors. Will it be able to easily go to bubble (for cold/wet weather) to nice summer day in a few seconds? Or is it a bubble regardless?

With the Corbin storage the price will unfortunately be closer than it should be (ST vs RT).

I wish I could afford the time and money (and had the patience for them to be available) to be able to rent them each for a week. I'm just not sure what the best choice is here. (A demo ride just isn't long enough)

Is the RT needed for 2 up comfort? It also has the passenger sensor to adjust the ride???

I ride to work for most of the year, and do solo/2 up weekend day trips with 1-2 longer trips a year.

ST sounds like the more fun ride, but I don't want a passenger on a trip complaining about comfort, you know?

NancysToy
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Is the RT needed for 2 up comfort? It also has the passenger sensor to adjust the ride???
The passenger sensor on the RT only adjusts the traction control and braking bias. Air is added to or subtracted from the rear air bag, either manually or via a dash switch on models equipped with the ACS, which also has a ride height sensor to keep the Spyder at the selected setting when a passenger is added or gets dismounts.

Lamonster
12-10-2012, 03:09 PM
RT hands down is best for long haul comfort and for riding two up.

ST will handle the long haul just fine with more of a motorcycle feel to it. It's hard to explain that unless you ride one. I doubt you'll have a need for risers on the ST but if you did I'm sure an option is heading down the road. I'm like you, I like the styling of the Corbin bags and they are much more useable than side loading bags.

After reading your review, I am back leaning towards the ST instead of the RT. It seems there aren't any risers either for the ST??? I have shorter arms. Were you able to have multiple sitting positions on your test trip?

It also seems with 2013 BRP is trying to give the RT even more options with the vented windshield and adjustable side deflectors. Do you think this will reduce the bubble effect?

I feel as though I don't want to make a mistake choosing one over the other. The fact of the matter is it seems to come down to these key things:

ST with Corbin fleetliners and trunk will have more storage space, a sportier feel/ride, and more visually appealing.

RT has its standard storage (the frustrating side loading bags), little room trunk, etc. However it has the air suspension(in your opinion is it a big deal?) option for the vented windshield, wind side deflectors. Will it be able to easily go to bubble (for cold/wet weather) to nice summer day in a few seconds? Or is it a bubble regardless?

With the Corbin storage the price will unfortunately be closer than it should be (ST vs RT).

I wish I could afford the time and money (and had the patience for them to be available) to be able to rent them each for a week. I'm just not sure what the best choice is here. (A demo ride just isn't long enough)

I ride to work for most of the year, and do solo/2 up weekend day trips with 1-2 longer trips a year.

ST sounds like the more fun ride, but I don't want a passenger on a trip complaining about comfort, you know?

vtrider
12-11-2012, 02:32 AM
Great write up! It sure makes me want to hop on an ST and go for a ride. The sales guy that I deal with at my dealer tells me they will be getting and ST in for the showroom sometimes this month. I can't wait to check it out once it arrives. I've already been offered a test ride in the spring. One question, do you know if the mounting points for the smuggler trunk/corbin seat setup has changed over previous GT/RS spyders? If I do get an ST I would like to keep my smuggler trunk and corbin seat to install on the ST. I would have to get the trunk color matched and the seat would have to get re-beaded to match up as well depending on what color combo I would choose. I'm just not sure if it will work on the new ST.

Lamonster
12-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Great write up! It sure makes me want to hop on an ST and go for a ride. The sales guy that I deal with at my dealer tells me they will be getting and ST in for the showroom sometimes this month. I can't wait to check it out once it arrives. I've already been offered a test ride in the spring. One question, do you know if the mounting points for the smuggler trunk/corbin seat setup has changed over previous GT/RS spyders? If I do get an ST I would like to keep my smuggler trunk and corbin seat to install on the ST. I would have to get the trunk color matched and the seat would have to get re-beaded to match up as well depending on what color combo I would choose. I'm just not sure if it will work on the new ST.
Pretty sure they will work.