PDA

View Full Version : Question

coronaman
11-22-2012, 10:33 AM
I have 2012 RSS and I bought a battery tender and I am getting ready to hook it up and I noticed under the seat a cable that looks like a battery tender hook up, is this what that is before I start taking all of the tupperware off and find out I did not need to do this. I am wanting to learn as i would like to work on the basic and not have to take it to dealer.

Mr. White
11-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Suggestion. I had my dealer hook a pigtail up to my battery terminals for my electric gloves. You could do the same with a charger pigtail (for gloves, jacket too) and hook it up whenever you need vs. taking off the seat, etc. Just a thought.

:spyder2:

Elembytes
11-22-2012, 11:42 AM
I have 2012 RSS and I bought a battery tender and I am getting ready to hook it up and I noticed under the seat a cable that looks like a battery tender hook up, is this what that is before I start taking all of the tupperware off and find out I did not need to do this. I am wanting to learn as i would like to work on the basic and not have to take it to dealer.

I am not sure- as I am looking to buy my first Spyder myself, but will tell you that the ones I have looked at, they have a connection under the seat and have been told that it is a battery trickle charge connection all you'd have to do is buy a maintence device and connect it up to that.

That is what a dealer told me---now is all dealers the same? I don't know.

Good luck!

Happy Thanksgiving! ;)

billybovine
11-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Those are there to hook up jumper cables. Do not loosen the negative one. You will be sorry.​ Connect directly to the battery.

MouthPiece
11-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Suggestion. I had my dealer hook a pigtail up to my battery terminals for my electric gloves. You could do the same with a charger pigtail (for gloves, jacket too) and hook it up whenever you need vs. taking off the seat, etc. Just a thought.

:spyder2:

Or you could get one of these and plug it into your rear trunk 12 volt outlet. It then hooks up to your battery tender.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21rjKNjSmiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Big Arm
11-22-2012, 12:30 PM
As suggested, buy the pig-tail, and hook it directly to the battery !!!

Blue Star
11-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Those are there to hook up jumper cables. Do not loosen the negative one. You will be sorry.​ Connect directly to the battery.

:agree:

Or you could get one of these and plug it into your rear trunk 12 volt outlet. It then hooks up to your battery tender.

The OP has a RS-S, so no rear trunk outlet. Would it work if he installs the outlet in the frunk? I don't know since it is not live at all times, but my mechanic connected a devise to my RS when he check my battery charge.

ARtraveler
11-22-2012, 01:25 PM
RE: Direct hookup to the battery. Red on the positive terminal and black on the negative screw that is about 6 inches to the rear of the positive terminal.

billybovine
11-22-2012, 01:30 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21rjKNjSmiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

RS-S does not have a rear trunk. The 12v outlet in the front is optional and he may not have one. If he did it is switched and is on only when the ignition key is on. But is a good option for a RT.

NancysToy
11-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Some dealers have been connecting charging pigtails during setup. You could have that or you are looking at the jump start terminals and wiring. We would have to see a picture or get a better description to help further. The battery can be charged through the jump start terminals, just hook up the alligator clamps that come with most chargers. If you have an SAE connector, that is a charging pigtail. Just plug in your Battery Tender.

SAE Connector
http://site.solardiy.com/SAEConnector.jpg

MouthPiece
11-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Sorry. I missed the RSS.

Chris

napper39
11-22-2012, 08:12 PM
what scotty said if that wire you are seaing looks like that ,then it is the right thing to plug your tender too.http://site.solardiy.com/SAEConnector.jpg

coronaman
11-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Yes those pictures are what I see, thanks to all who posted. Happy and Safe riding to all