PDA

View Full Version : Another Elka Believer

Phillig
11-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Today I installed a set of Elkas on the front of my 2012 RT-Ltd. I can pretty much agree with all the great things said on Spyderlovers about the change. Although, I was only able to do about a 100 mile test ride over varying conditions, the change is noticeable and I am very happy I spent the money and the hour it took to install them myself. I'm looking forward to many fun miles with them. I've been riding for over 40 years and I have learned to appreciate the things that keep it fun for me and riding with the Elkas made me say "there we go."

Bob Denman
11-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Glad to hear it! :2thumbs: Which model Elkas did you buy?
Now that you've got a spare set of shocks laying around, I'm sure that somebody who's either got a 2010 RT, or any of the RS/GS models would be interested in them...

Phillig
11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Glad to hear it! :2thumbs: Which model Elkas did you buy?
Now that you've got a spare set of shocks laying around, I'm sure that somebody who's either got a 2010 RT, or any of the RS/GS models would be interested in them...
Stage 1+ R. Old shocks will go up on the FS section next week.

Bob Denman
11-22-2012, 09:57 AM
I'd be interested to hear if you do any tinkering with the rebound settings... :thumbup:

Dragonrider
11-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I've got 5K on my WORKS shocks, and haven't had to touch them. They make a huge handling difference...

liketoride2
11-25-2012, 12:38 AM
I've got 5K on my WORKS shocks, and haven't had to touch them. They make a huge handling difference...

I agree that Works Performance shocks are excellent. I have a bit over 12K on mine and they are a huge improvement over stock, and I also haven't had to touch them. My experience with Works customer service wasn't good but that's apparently an isolated occurrence and not typical.

I've heard that Progressive Suspension has recently introduced shocks for the Spyder, although I haven't had a chance to check on that yet. They've been in the motorcycle aftermarket shock business for very long time. I have one of their shocks on a KLR 650, have about 27K very tough miles (lots of off-pavement) on the shock and only recently adjusted it for the first time (a bit more preload). If Progressive is now making shocks for the Spyder it may be worth checking them out.

By all accounts Elka shocks are excellent (I've had no experience with them) but having choices is always a good thing, IMHO.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net