PDA

View Full Version : Dead Bike

Black Pig
11-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Right then , you boffins.

Spyder got caught in a torrential rainstorm out side the house. Came to it next morning, flat... nowt... nada..

I jump started it this afternoon and found the heated grips getting warm, even though they were switched off.. So out with the fuse.

I suspect the heated grip switch got flooded and flattened the battery (as it is not on a switched supply), so I jump started it fine, however, the steering is well heavy and it is constantly revving high (about 2.5K).

I reckon the battery is now goosed but can that cause the other two symptoms?

Everything else is fine and there are no error codes, BTW after a good long run the dash lights up, but it won't start.

Anyone else experience this??

Yours

Saturated In Scotland...

Bob Denman
11-21-2012, 01:10 PM
It sounds as if you'll need to make provisions for protecting your Spyder during the rainy season; all twelve months of it! :shocked:
Once the battery has died a natural death, (or suffered a premature murder!), it can be the root cause of any number of unexplainable symptoms...
My advice; although not particularly wise, is to just keep tracking down the issues, clean out your electrical connections and fuses, try charging the battery, and be prepared to replace it!
Good Luck; please let us know what happens next! :thumbup:

sabunim5
11-21-2012, 03:53 PM
I agree about the battery, but the Spyder does not really need protection from the rain. I have ridden all day for several days in a row in the rain with no problems. I have even ridden in torrential rain with all the body work removed and had no issues. Sounds like some of your aftermarket stuff is not as weather tight and is causing you problems.

boborgera
11-21-2012, 04:56 PM
. Sounds like some of your aftermarket stuff is not as weather tight and is causing you problems.

:agree: If the switch was off but the grips were hot,
The switch was wet and not watertight.

Black Pig
11-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Yep!

I am kind of hoping that the HG Switch shorted and fried the battery and that's the end of it.

I was a wee bit concerned about the other quirky mishaps though, hopefully once I get a responsive battery in circuit that'll iron them out.

Ordering a new battery today (dealers wants £120.00 - same battery on the bay for £59.00 - talk about mark up! :mad:)

Black Pig
11-22-2012, 05:36 AM
The load shedding relay.

Errrr.. what is that?

Black Pig
11-22-2012, 06:21 AM
Nah, not guilty I have an 08 GS, although with the woes I have suffered this year I doubt I'll have another.

Black Pig
11-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Update...

New battery fitted yesterday, came to work this morning, running like a treat.

Started first touch of the button in -2c (28f) :ohyea:

Ga Blue Knight
11-29-2012, 07:31 AM
For future reference the DPS is electric and takes a lotto juice to work right. If the battery is not up to snuff you will have DPS issues.

Bob Denman
11-29-2012, 08:04 AM
:agree: The power steering is a real electrical vampire... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_4_114.gif If the battery's starting to go; it'll suck the life right out! :yikes:

ARtraveler
11-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Glad to hear that the battery problem is solved. :2thumbs:

dave01
11-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2