PDA

View Full Version : Hurricain Sandy Ruin My Best Friend

HotWheels
11-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Dear Fellow Spyder Ryders,

Unfortunately I have been a victim of the hurricane Sandy and due to the fact that I did not store my lifelong dream that I leave park outside it was under a foot of water when the storm struck. After all the cleaning, and trying to accept the loss of twenty years of memories in my basement. I finally took the time to go over my 2008 RS Spyder. It started the day after the storm but after a few more starts I notice that there were some new errors reading out on the display screen.

After trying to go through insurance and no help I contacted my dealer and service department that also informed me that main shop was flooded and it needed to be towed to new location for repairs at my expense. Like I stated before the bike does start but being disabled I can’t take the risk of ridding it just in case.

So I like to order what I need ahead of the dealer before they take me for crazy cost.

The errors I am getting are as follow:

ABS FAULT

VSS FAULT

Limp Home Mode

I also have a flickering engine light going on and some other lights i assume have to do with the faults.

Now I ask anyone that can tell me what oem parts I need to have so that I can take them in before with the bike in for repairs. That way I can cut down the cost of any other damages that the service department might stick me with. Thank you all in advance and wish me luck.

arntufun
11-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Sorry about Sandy :(

Did you ride it before the lights came on ?????? Just guessing .......,but it could be something as simple as debri from the water stuck in the wheel sensors or a bad sensor itself from being submerged.

Pull up the codes, and post them here and that will help narrow it down, but you won't be able to find out for sure whats wrong (or parts you might need) until they hook it to BUDS because certain codes could mean a few different things .

Good luck 2 u !!!! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-21-2012, 08:08 AM
:agree: The best of luck to you!
Just take the process one step at a time and I'm sure that your Spyder can be made as good as new.
Did you carry comprehensvie coverage on it? That would pay for the storm damage; I'm curious about your, "go through insurance and no help" statement. :dontknow:

NancysToy
11-21-2012, 08:10 AM
You really need the dealer to look at it carefully and advise you. Much of this could be caused by corroded connectors, dirty or failed sensors, leftover debris, etc. There is no way to guess at parts without a thorough examination. Most vehicles that are flooded are totalled...meaning that repairs cannot be done for less than the full value of the vehicle. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your friend may be history. Let the dealer tell you what can and can't be done...and how much it would cost.

ARtraveler
11-21-2012, 01:37 PM
All good advice above. Keep us posted and let us know what happens with your :spyder2:.

boborgera
11-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Don't forget that foot of water was ''Salt'' water.
I have a relative in Howard Beach, Both his car and bike were totaled by his insurance Co.
I don't even want mention what happened to his house.:(

coastrider
11-21-2012, 05:13 PM
My 2012 RT and trailer were in 18 inches of water from Sandy and are, at this moment, in the shop awaiting the insurance adjuster's examination. My dealer feels it will be totaled, even though it ran fine on the ten mile trip to the shop. He says they were never designed to see salt water, and will corrode down the line, water may wick up through harnesses, and all manner of potential problems are possible. The shop itself is on Staten Island and received six feet of flood water. Everything in stock but their boats was totaled, their clothing and accessories were ruined, and two double glass windows at the front exploded inwards. I hope you fare better. Good luck

:gaah:

shelbydave
11-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Don't forget that foot of water was ''Salt'' water.
I have a relative in Howard Beach, Both his car and bike were totaled by his insurance Co.
I don't even want mention what happened to his house.:(

I was going to mention that too. I just watched an episode of "American Chopper" where Paul jr went to get the 911 bike. Because of the salt water, all sorts of stuff was corroded.

With the electronics on these guys, a little corrosion will go a long way toward ruining a day...

mcaccamise
11-25-2012, 03:17 AM
My sympathy goes out to the victoms of Sandys wake, i hop everyone is made whole by by their insurance co my prayers are with you.
Mike