PDA

View Full Version : Install the KewlMetal Gizmo Mount

mrfats
11-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Thought this would be something I could do...however, what's the best way to remove the two bottom bolts on the steering column? I've tried and I'm afraid I'm going to strip them. I'm hoping I won't have to go to my deal for this!:banghead:

MouthPiece
11-21-2012, 07:03 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?40427-How-To-Mount-any-Gizmo-iPhone-Garmin&highlight=Kewl+Metal

Pandy
11-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Or a 7 inch DeWalt grinder All kidding aside,as has been mentioned,due to the nature of the locking material,considerably more force will be necessary to loosen than tighten. Oh,the bracket in question was the very first thing I did to Pyder. Served me well,I think you will be well pleased.

Patrick Pyder Pylot

Dragonrider
11-21-2012, 06:11 PM
I have a SEARS allan wrench kit, that came with a lever/handle that took them right off. You can also get a socket based allen head that will fit the head, allowing the use of a breaker bar, if necessary.

I installed the Kwel bracket with the stock screws (didn't come with the shiny ones shown with the newer kit), and added a Ram ball to the back. Mounted the Garmin 550 to adaptor, and it looks factory. I use the Ram ball to hold my coffee cup holder - works a treat!!!

After 10K miles, it's as solid as day one, and it's used every time I ride. I did use loctite when I re-installed the screws.

NancysToy
11-21-2012, 07:00 PM
The handlebar screws are utilize 3M ScotchGrip, which is a microencapsulated epoxy. They take more torque to loosen them than it did to tighten them. Use the proper tools and good technique...and a little more muscle.

Farmbanker
11-21-2012, 07:06 PM
The handlebar screws are utilize 3M ScotchGrip, which is a microencapsulated epoxy. They take more torque to loosen them than it did to tighten them. Use the proper tools and good technique...and a little more muscle.
:agree: I just installed this myself. Add more muscle, and righty tighty, lefty loosey....;)

JimFoy
11-21-2012, 10:59 PM
I just had to lean on the Allen wrench a little. It won't break.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mrfats
11-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Gotten out...with a little help from my dealer (well, ok, a lot of help from my dealer)! I stripped the bolt on the left side. But as always thanks for all your help! I do like the final product...

Mikeye
07-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Just finished installing mine, had to go to O'Reilly Auto Parts and picked up a set of Metric Allen wrenches that had a 7mm allen wrench in the set, cost for the set was less than $10, most sets come with a 6mm and then jumps to 8mm and then to 10mm, don't know why they can't supply all the sizes with all the sets, oh well, all worked out, got it installed and ready to mount whatever on the Gizmo. By the way don't try and take them out with a standard Allen use a 7mm and a little muscle.

Knarfoh
07-30-2013, 05:36 AM
I used the KewlMetal gizmo adapter to install my TomTom Rider 2. Here are the pics with instructions. http://www.knarfoh.com/GPS_INSTALL/gps_install.html

I recently switched out the Rider 2 with the Rider 2013.