PDA

View Full Version : RS Heated Grips?

Paula(Butch2025)
11-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Do any of you have heated grips on your RS? Just wondering if that would be an option for me, I have a heated vest that works wonderfully, the only thing that could make my cold weather riding even more comfy would be keeping my fingers warm. I do use my ski mittens and they are "ok", just looking at options and suggestions.
--Paula

Recluze
11-20-2012, 07:19 AM
I just put some on a couple of days ago. I am pretty impressed with how well they work. I went for a ride in 60 degree temps and they are too warm for that. I think I am going to like them.

I got them from E bay and put them on top of the factory original grips. Then I put some grip puppies on top of them. Works very well.

dannymax
11-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Do any of you have heated grips on your RS? Just wondering if that would be an option for me, I have a heated vest that works wonderfully, the only thing that could make my cold weather riding even more comfy would be keeping my fingers warm. I do use my ski mittens and they are "ok", just looking at options and suggestions.
--Paula

I've used these on several bikes, as well as on my RS, and they work well.

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/17604684602664648431?sourceid=navclient&oq=symtec+grip+&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS416US416&q=symtec+grip+heaters&gs_l=hp..0.0l4.0.0.0.9500...........0.&pbx=1&sa=X&ei=sHSrUKnlKOHa0QGIh4Ag&ved=0CIQBEMwD

NancysToy
11-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Nancy uses heated gloves, which work quite well. They are easier to connect to a heated jacket than a heated vest, though. I have ridden hers with a heated vest and heated gloves, however. A number of Spyder owners have installed either external or internal grip heaters. Be sure to include a temperature controller. Be aware that the temperature controllers can get quite hot. A pulse-width type controller is preferable to one that uses resistance to control the temp. Those just move the heat from the grip to the controller. Sorry, I am too rusty in this department to mention brands, you'' have to do your homework.

DrewNJ
11-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Heated grips is probably the first mod I did on my RS. I used the ones that are a peel and stick pad that installs under the grip. Also swapped out the grips as I have never been a fan of the stock mushroom grips.

I have the $50 kit with the hi/low switch that uses a resistor. No issues as long as you install it properly.

Heated grips are definitely very nice on cooler rides. With gloves I use the hi setting to get everything warm and then switch to low for most of the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarge707
11-20-2012, 12:32 PM
I have used the Oxford Hot Hands wrap around grip for 2 seasons on the GS.
They are warm, velcro on and you run the wire to the battery (Fuse in line) .
They have a On/Off switch and can be put on for just the winter like the Grip Buddies they velcro on.
Warmth is between the Low and High setting of the RT Grips. I have to shut them off every now and then to cool.

Bumblebee67
11-20-2012, 01:35 PM
I have used the Oxford Hot Hands wrap around grip for 2 seasons on the GS.
They are warm, velcro on and you run the wire to the battery (Fuse in line) .
They have a On/Off switch and can be put on for just the winter like the Grip Buddies they velcro on.
Warmth is between the Low and High setting of the RT Grips. I have to shut them off every now and then to cool.

This is what I use, I like the fact that you can take them off whenever you like and put them back on if needed.:thumbup:

Paula(Butch2025)
11-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks everyone for all the ideas...I have a bit of "homework" to do like Scotty said. I like the option of the removable heated grips or the gloves.

serf
11-21-2012, 11:17 AM
I use handle bar muffs I picked up at a local bike shop. Insulated and water proof. I've used them with my normal riding gloves below freezing temps and am very pleased.

JJW SpyderRider
11-21-2012, 01:20 PM
I use handle bar muffs I picked up at a local bike shop. Insulated and water proof. I've used them with my normal riding gloves below freezing temps and am very pleased.

I used muffs on my GS SE5 with heated grips. I only wore thin gloves, large gloves did not fit into the opening, and my hand were warm down to 15 degrees. They were a life saver last year heading to Spyderfest. I rode 400 miles with the temps in the high 40's to low 50's with just thin riding gloves.

We are having a heat wave here right now and it has only got down to 27 so far this year so I have only used the heated grips on my RT. When it gets cold I will try the muffs with the heated grips on the RT to see how well it works.

Littlebadwolf
11-21-2012, 02:25 PM
52 degrees and I'm taking a ride over to Ann Arbor to pick up some belly lox, bagels, capicola, prosciutto, speck, and what other goodies I can find. I've been looking for belly lox here for years and Zingerman's finally listened to me and brought some in...Must be an omen...great weather and I finally get my belly lox....Sometimes the simple things in life are the most pleasing...Was in such a good mood I made 4 loves of old fashioned date nut bread for my wife to bring in to work...accompanied by the required cream cheese of course...:)....Sheesh...Had to take another look at the topic of this post....Heated grips...I'm getting the Hot Hands wrap around just to try them out...Anything helps with the cold here in Michigan...Went riding a few weeks ago and my finger turned white from the freezing rain...Don't like frostbite...Will post my review on them when I try them out.

Paula(Butch2025)
11-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Butch has some of those and I have used them (on the way home from Spyderfest...cold rain) but wanted something that I didn't have to attach and cover up my hands.

j pat
12-09-2012, 08:02 PM
hi. well here is what i did tapped into the fuse box left frount & picked up the wire marked switched 3amp put a relay mounted on left side of plastic baffel close t0 filler mounted grip control box under seat fit fine the control for grips is l e d with 4%age 10,20,50 ,100 ,100 is yery warm full on draws less than 4amps great grips ,ride all winter in colo down to 0 hands stay warm hot grips rubber type got realy on ebay with mount & wires (4) for the price of 1 jpat

mooneych
07-11-2013, 11:32 AM
http://www.warmnsafe.com/heated-handgrip-wrap-single-semi-mount-handgrip-heat-troller-kit/

Picked up some $10 grips from EBay and velcro'd the variable controller on top of the clutch reservoir.

The power is routed to the Fuzeblock (switched)

I can send pics if you are literarily challenged (like me!) :doorag:

Sarge707
07-11-2013, 11:40 AM
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxford-heaterz-heated-motorcycle-handlebar-grips-for-7-8-inch-diameter-handlebars-touring-style

Last 2 years I used the Oxford "Hot Hands" velcro grips - This Fall I,m going to buy the above because the velcro version has cool areas and sometimes the thumb gets frozen?
The above should be like RT heated grips all around the hand!!!

Oxford makes Good stuff!