PDA

View Full Version : DPS / VSS Fault - Limp mode

blambert
11-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Folks,

Recently been getting DPS / VSS fault errors on my 2011 RS Spyder then goes into limp mode. I then pull off the side the road, shut off sit for awhile and then start right an go away with the fault cleared. - any ideas. happened on regular street roads, no high speed curve riding.

NancysToy
11-18-2012, 03:15 PM
What fault codes are you getting? Press MODE, SET & the turn signal cancel simultaneuosly, then release. The active code(s) will show on the display. Do this before you shut it off.

Blondespyder
11-18-2012, 06:51 PM
I have that pesky DPS code!! Will not go away. It is a recalled part. Call your dealer and get it replaced. ASAP
Mine is going into the shop to be fixed in a few weeks.
Also... This will be the second one replaced! Ugh

NancysToy
11-18-2012, 08:28 PM
I have that pesky DPS code!! Will not go away. It is a recalled part. Call your dealer and get it replaced. ASAP
Mine is going into the shop to be fixed in a few weeks.
Also... This will be the second one replaced! Ugh
There was a recall on the 2008-2010 DPS units. If yours hasn't been replaced, it should be, ASAP. Unless it fails, however, it seldom throws a warning on the display or registers a fault code in the computer. A DPS warning on the display can be due to almost anything, from battery, to loose relays, to brakes, to steering, to sensors. The systems on the Spyder are inter-related, and a failure in one can affect several others. Retrieving active fault codes can help isolate the problem sometimes...but not always.

Anytime a series of warnings including DPS and VSS comes over the display, the relays should be checked and the battery terminals (inside the bodywork) and rear frame ground (negative jumper terminal under the seat) should be checked. If they are OK, then battery voltage should be checked. Beyond that the problem could lie with a variety of things...and dealer assistance is usually in order.

Bob Denman
11-19-2012, 07:26 AM
What fault codes are you getting? Press MODE, SET & the turn signal cancel simultaneuosly, then release. The active code(s) will show on the display. Do this before you shut it off.

:agree: Those codes will tell you what the dealer should be looking for...
Good Luck! Let us know what they find! :thumbup:

blambert
11-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Well I checked the fuses and underneath battery connections - all good. I reset all of the relays in the fuse box it seems like a few were tilting upward. I then took the bike out and ran through quite a few curves to see if I can get it to fail (DPS VSS)- could not. Not sure if the reseating the fuse box relays was the issue or this will pop again. Someone mentioned on a prior posting about putting foam around the frunk fuse box - what do they mean? where would you put the foam, underneath the cover of the fuse box? another thought is to tape the relay's down with electrical tape and then put the fuse box cover back on

boborgera
11-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Someone mentioned on a prior posting about putting foam around the frunk fuse box - what do they mean? where would you put the foam, underneath the cover of the fuse box? another thought is to tape the relay's down with electrical tape and then put the fuse box cover back on

I guess they mean the inside of the top hatch [cover] of the fuse box, My 08 GS came with it from the factory :dontknow:

wyliec
11-21-2012, 05:02 PM
I guess they mean the inside of the top hatch [cover] of the fuse box, My 08 GS came with it from the factory :dontknow:

After a while that foam from the factory flattens. I put another piece on top of it.