PDA

View Full Version : HMF Exhaust on RS

JaymeG33
11-17-2012, 03:41 PM
My friend purchased an HMF exhaust, had it on for a week, took it off and offered to sell it to me for $100 less than what he paid for it. Well, I was going to get one in the spring anyways so I took the bait, so to say lol. My hubby put it on yesterday, and it sounds AMAZING to me! I have 2 questions though. I feel like I am getting more vibration in my steering than I did before (I hardly noticed ANY vibration before) and those of you that have it, did you purchase HMF's fuel programmer as well?

I want to make sure I do the right thing and take the necessary steps so no harm comes to the engine of my Spyder, so until then it's parked. It's winter here anyways so not 'too' heartbreaking for me. But none the less, I want to get moving on this project so if I do get a nice day, I can RIDE!

I don't want to void any warranty with adding the fuel programmer either. It seems that alot of riders add aftermarket exhausts to their bikes without any problems so I figured this would be the best place to come for the BEST advise!

Thanks in advance for you help! Below is a pic I took yesterday with the new exhaust installed:

IGETAROUND
11-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Nice bike and pipes:yes::clap::2thumbs::ohyea::bowdown:

mcaccamise
11-17-2012, 07:28 PM
jaymeG33 the pipe looks awsom you shouldent have gotten any vibration from the install but i would check that all connections are tight the band withe the rubber sleve going arround the pipe and where it attaches to the main slip joint.
As far as a fuel controler most have used one to take care of the lean mixture when a new pipe is added check to see if you have the decel pop gearing down if so you would be advised to go with a fuel modifer of your choice PC-5 or the juice box pro good luck and ride safe.
Mike

JaymeG33
11-17-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't have any backfire issues at all. The bike does seem to have more power though. The instructions came with the settings for a fuel programmer. My hubby who is a mechanic seems to think that since the exhaust is a performance one that it might ruin the motor overtime if it isn't set correctly that it'll burn holes in the pistons. Not that I don't trust his judgement, but I want feedback from other Spyder owners and who have made changes to these machinces. They aren't your 'average' animal lol!

Kratos
11-17-2012, 09:48 PM
The HMF is the booommb diggity.

JaymeG33
11-18-2012, 09:30 AM
The HMF is the booommb diggity.

Kratos I was hoping that you would reply to this post, do you have a fuel programmer on yours?

Yazz
11-18-2012, 10:27 AM
As far as a fuel controler most have used one to take care of the lean mixture when a new pipe is added check to see if you have the decel pop gearing down if so you would be advised to go with a fuel modifer of your choice PC-5 or the juice box pro good luck and ride safe.
Mike

+1

Bob Denman
11-18-2012, 12:29 PM
:agree: That Bike looks fan-dang-tastic! :2thumbs: :clap: :firstplace:

mcaccamise
11-18-2012, 01:05 PM
I will reply again that most of us with a custom pipe use a modifer to keep the lean/ detonation problems under control your husband is refering to piston burn while running lean more air in more air out = lean condition hope this helps maybe Kratos can sum it up better goodluck Mike.

Bob Denman
11-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Opening up the "pipe" end of the breathing equation can sometimes be less intrusive than opening up the intake side...
If she's getting no popping or surging... :dontknow: it might be okay.
A plug check should be done. :thumbup:

Jimsta
11-18-2012, 11:50 PM
I have the same pipes w/ blue tip, no fuel monitor and no problems. I did totally power down battery (disconnect) then did install so when computer fired back up it would analyze and hopefully adjust. Ran in idle for twenty minutes and have never had an issue. Hope this helps

major911
11-19-2012, 09:06 AM
You might be able to get away without the fuel manager for awhile as long as you stick with the stock air cleaner. Once you add the air cleaner it becomes too lean and you will have problems that require the fuel manager to fix. After a period of time even without the air cleaner upgrade you will undoubtedly develop the decel popping and backfiring. I would go ahead and opt for the performance and add the air cleaner and a fuel manager since you already have the pipe and ride it like you stole it... You'll love the power increase. :thumbup:

cjackg
11-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Has anyone adapted an HMF for use on an RT ?

Campverdefela
11-19-2012, 10:55 AM
You might be able to get away without the fuel manager for awhile as long as you stick with the stock air cleaner. Once you add the air cleaner it becomes too lean and you will have problems that require the fuel manager to fix. After a period of time even without the air cleaner upgrade you will undoubtedly develop the decel popping and backfiring. I would go ahead and opt for the performance and add the air cleaner and a fuel manager since you already have the pipe and ride it like you stole it... You'll love the power increase. :thumbup:

I have heard that happen a few times on this forum, so I agree and be aware it may require the above mentioned solution.

JaymeG33
11-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Has anyone adapted an HMF for use on an RT ?
My friend wants to know the same thing. She'd love to have an HMF for her RT!

JaymeG33
11-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Riding it like I stole is is DEFINITELY in my very near future!

Colin
11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
A lot of good advice here on this, so all I will add is, that is a cool looking Spyder, and the seat looks awesome.
:2thumbs:

Tierhog
01-13-2013, 12:51 PM
My friend purchased an HMF exhaust, had it on for a week, took it off and offered to sell it to me for $100 less than what he paid for it. Well, I was going to get one in the spring anyways so I took the bait, so to say lol. My hubby put it on yesterday, and it sounds AMAZING to me! I have 2 questions though. I feel like I am getting more vibration in my steering than I did before (I hardly noticed ANY vibration before) and those of you that have it, did you purchase HMF's fuel programmer as well?

I want to make sure I do the right thing and take the necessary steps so no harm comes to the engine of my Spyder, so until then it's parked. It's winter here anyways so not 'too' heartbreaking for me. But none the less, I want to get moving on this project so if I do get a nice day, I can RIDE!

I don't want to void any warranty with adding the fuel programmer either. It seems that alot of riders add aftermarket exhausts to their bikes without any problems so I figured this would be the best place to come for the BEST advise!

Thanks in advance for you help! Below is a pic I took yesterday with the new exhaust installed:

Check gap between exhaust and fender bracket by looking from top down for vibration issue. I use JB pro and green filter. Jb is on factory setting 2. Power command map over fueled some.