PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why you love your RS/GS...

Dynamike
11-17-2012, 07:46 AM
I am purchasing my first Spyder early next year and have always wanted an RSS, however with the addition of the ST models to the lineup, it makes me question which would be better suited for me. It seems as though many spyder owners start on the RS but eventually move up to an RT, or modify their RS to be more comfortable for longer rides.

I have been riding motorcycles for 15 years, over that time I have owned 7 different bikes, most sport bikes. As I get older, that seating position is getting uncomfortable for more than an hour or two ride. I am a weekend rider, I never ride to work.

I like the looks of the RS the most, but the new ST is growing on me.

Please give me your thoughts on your experience with the RS/GS, and the riding position for your height.

I am 5'7".

Phantom888
11-17-2012, 07:57 AM
I have a 09 rs and I am about your same height. I love the sport feel of the stock position but like you said it gets to be a pain after about 45 minutes of riding. I am going to be adding a adjustable 4 inch riser to my spyder this winter to help with that. I'm going with the adjustable so I can change it when I know I'm gonna ride for a distance. If I had the money I would jump on the ST for sure.

NancysToy
11-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Think of it this way, which look appeals to you more...the stock ST or an RS with a large windshield added on, footboards, and handlebar risers? If you need the comfort factors, it is better to get them built in, than to tack on a lot of accessories. JMHO

Paula(Butch2025)
11-17-2012, 09:17 AM
I love my RS because of it's sporty look. Being 5'5" it fits be beautifully and I like the more aggressive forward stance of the RS. I now have over 11,000 miles on it since this past April and there have only be a couple of times I was uncomfortable - it was over 100* and we were doing a 500+ mile day that may have had more to do with it than the stance?! I was planning on putting on risers because my husband has the 1" BRP riser and the 3" handlebar risers (he's 6'6") and that is what I was used to riding with but when I got my Spyder I thought I'd keep it stock for the first 600 or so miles and I ended up liking it just the way it is.

You really need to try them both to see what truly fits you and think of the type of riding you want to do. The ST is what Butch basically turned his into with after market mods to make it more of a sporty touring ride.

Gook luck on your decision and look forward to seeing what Spyder you end up with.

FaranH
11-17-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm almost 5'7" and have ridden my RSS both stock and with 3" risers and highway pegs. I keep the sport windshield on it whenever it's warm enough because I just like the look best on the sporty RSS, so windshield isn't a big factor for me. I definitely like the risers for rides over 100 miles or so. I'm not sure I have the pegs in quite the right position yet, but it is an improvement for stretching out your legs. My biggest wish on my RSS now is the comfort seat and I think most GS/RS would agree the stock seat is not great. And much as I *really* want some of the fancier features on the ST (audio, heated handgrips, etc), I can honestly say I've appreciated the simplicity of the RSS.

Having said all that, the ST is a VERY nice ride and I really liked the floorboards. It's still sporty, but much more comfortable "out the box." I love the look and can't wait to get back on one. I'm thinking your buying decision is going to be based partly on economics and partly just on how much you like one look over the other. Good luck!:doorag:

Sarge707
11-17-2012, 12:13 PM
5'7" is a great height for the RS. I,m 6,0 and need the 3 inch riser.
The RS Pre 2013 is the fastest accelerating of ALL at 160 pounds lighter than the ST.
I love the RS for the shear acceleration and lightness.
I also love my RT because its more comfortable and still has Good Performance.
Sit on both and test drive both if you can and you will Know!!!!nojoke

Fire Joe
11-17-2012, 01:34 PM
I have an 08 GS and as was stated by Faran, the only comfort change I felt I needed was to swap out the stock seat for a comfort seat. I don't have any risers or footpegs and it is comfortable enough for me and I am 6' tall. I've done 1K mile days my last few long trips and other than stopping for gas and stretching I haven't been uncomfortable.

Neez
11-17-2012, 02:29 PM
I am 5' 8" and 70 years old. The comfort related mods I have done on my GS-SE5 are: 1 inch BRP riser, homemade brake pedal extender, Kewl Metal brackets with Kury highway pegs, BRP sport shield and foam rubber handlebar grip covers. With this setup, I ride as far as I like without discomfort, but everybody is different. It seems to me that comfort levels have more to do with the rider than the machine. Some folks are miserable in conditions that others just shrug off without worry. Know your own tolerance level and you will know which Spyder is right for you.

flamingobabe
11-17-2012, 03:16 PM
well...I'm only 5' 1/2"...so the height is different....I rode my RS for about 3,000 miles before doing anything...wanted to make sure what I wanted.....1st thing I put on Safety lights...all reflectors now lights along with triple play, running and blinker, brake lights.....then we went to the 4 inch risers....changed from stock pegs to Kyryakyn spider pegs...they are about 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide....and you can adjust foot postion.....played with that for another 10,000 miles and went to Corbin seat with gas door moved forward 2"s and wish it was 3"s...the Corbin will change the seat postion a little....

but if you plan to ride more than around town you will want an aftermarket seat...lots of good ones out there....I got Corbin for the gas door...pain to undue everything when traveling...just to get gas....

The ST vs RS will be a matter of how you plan to ride...around town...or weekend trips...or travel...do you plan to have a passenger? ST will be more comfortable for traveling and weekend trips and with passenger....RS/RSS if around town and no passenger...floorboars are a plus...the 2013 are more responsive than earlier models (stock) plus...the 2013 have more advance shocks, brakes and sway bar...but if you have owned other bikes...do you change to after markets or leave it stock? It's such a personal adventure...

I want to take a stock bike and change it up to make it mine...that's just me...good luck...it all an adventure

Dynamike
11-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the insights.

Honestly, I haven't sat on a spyder since 2009. I guess I'll need to sit on the RS and ST back to back, to know for sure. I like the fact that the RS is lighter, but the ST has features that I may appreciate in the long run. I'm happy to have a choice, I am not interested in the RT, so until now, it would have been the RS or nothing.

Now which transmission do you recommend...

Lol, I'm sure that debate has been done to death.

Bob Denman
11-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Pretty soon your shopping is going to have to get serious... :roflblack:
Just a thought... Adding a whole lot of stuff to the RS to prepare it for the long-haul, vs buying fuel to keep an ST out on the road gathering up miles...

elixermixer
11-21-2012, 09:47 PM
What type of bikes do/did you ride? What type of ridding?
Pic your on a Ducati 1198 your preference may differ from if your coming from a street glide bagger etc

DragonLorD
11-21-2012, 10:04 PM
I am 100% RS without the doubt, all i want to be changed / aded on is bigger,more powerful engine, bigger tank and factory handbrake, rest i am more than happy to customise myself
having said that
ST seems to be design exactly for people like you = best of both worlds - sport and comfort, RT is for , ehm, earlier born should i say folks, ehmm,:yikes:
give it a test ride

asp125
11-21-2012, 10:34 PM
RS owner. 5'9" and a die hard sport bike rider. For someone used to VFR's, Ducati, and Gixxers etc the RS is well.. pretty near a touring trike without the barcalounger look. The riding position of the RS is similar to a naked bike, say the Speed Triple; upright torso with your legs folded underneath your hips. I added a 1" riser block to put me above the sport windshield where the helmet is in quieter clean air. I have added the Givi bags and top case and the comfort seat. I also have a 26" touring windscreen for long trips; the touring part of the RS. I figure I can ride all day long with the RS's ergonomics...that is until I get bad knees or whatnot, and when the ST may be in the upgrade plans.

SllimG
11-21-2012, 10:43 PM
I love my RSS. However, I have added 4 inch risers, ultra touring windshield, sport rack, passenger backrest, saddlebags, and highway pegs. I will be adding passenger footpeg extensions and a comfort seat for my wife in the near future. If the ST would have been available when I bought my RSS, I probably would have gone with the ST. I really wish I had the cruise control and adjustable windshield. I have spent a lot of money on upgrades that I wouldn't have had to do with an ST. On the other hand, mods are part of the fun!

JaymeG33
11-21-2012, 11:44 PM
I am 5'4" and I have a 2012 RS. One of the first mods I did was the seat, then it was all down hill from there lol! I like the sportiness of the RS. I did a demo ride on both the RS and the RT and I just felt too 'old' on the RT (sorry :dontknow:) I like how it's lighter, you can definitely tell a difference with that as well. My suggestion to you is take the RS and the ST out for demo rides then decide from there. I could have picked an RSS, but the way I looked at it was why spend the extra $$$ on factory parts such as shocks when I could spend half of the money and buy something that was custom that I liked a whole lot better and it kept my payment lower also.

As for as manual or electric, I prefer manual. I like the engine braking and gearing down. If I want to get on it, I have the beauty of getting into the gears. I took a course this summer for 3 wheelers and there were some GS's in it that were electric clutch and they both had high temp/overheating issues. The only thing we could think of is that it was because they had different transmissions. The one girls bike actually shut off it got so hot.

Just my opinion, only you will know what is right for you. Keep us posted on your decision. Below are some of the mods I've made, most are just purely cosmetic but none the less make my bike look unique!

Dynamike
11-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Hold on a minute, I maybe should have mentioned that I am 40yo, enough with the 'old' comments, lol.

I am definitely leaning toward the RS-S, but I'll have to check out the ST as well.

Thanks for all the great info!

Bob Denman
11-22-2012, 09:59 AM
40??? :shocked:
Oh, to be 40 again! :roflblack:

danlnc
11-22-2012, 10:13 AM
That's what is parked in my shed.

JaymeG33
11-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Hold on a minute, I maybe should have mentioned that I am 40yo, enough with the 'old' comments, lol.

I am definitely leaning toward the RS-S, but I'll have to check out the ST as well.

Thanks for all the great info!

LOL! I meant that the RT made ME feel old hahaha. I'm 36, so not far from 40 myself!

Recluze
11-22-2012, 05:20 PM
I love my Spyder RS (my second). But on each of these I have had to add the things that will be coming standard on an ST. If I were in the market I would wait and buy the ST just because the factory original parts will probably operate better together than after market parts that have been added on.

The downsides to an ST are 1) the wait, 2) the price and 3) the decrease in horsepower. In that order of importance.

Laila's Dad
11-22-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. You won't regret either because at the end of the day you have a spyder. I am 6'4 and 290 and I have a RS-S. I only have a 175 miles on it but I can now say that a little more leg room on the ST-s would be a nice feature, but the added cost of the ST-S would not be such a nice feature nojoke. Once I get highway pegs and sound(music) in my helmet I will be pretty darn satisfied. From what all the people on here that have rode the ST say, the differences are worth the wait so if you have the extra "dough" then go for the ST limited and get the best of both worlds.

Laila's Dad
11-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. You won't regret either because at the end of the day you have a spyder. I am 6'4 and 290 and I have a RS-S. I only have a 175 miles on it but I can now say that a little more leg room on the ST-s would be a nice feature, but the added cost of the ST-S would not be such a nice feature nojoke. Once I get highway pegs and sound(music) in my helmet I will be pretty darn satisfied. From what all the people on here that have rode the ST say, the differences are worth the wait so if you have the extra "dough" then go for the ST limited and get the best of both worlds.

...to be specific, the reason I love my spyder has not been shown yet. What I mean by that is that I bought my spyder to take long rides and enjoy more closely the sites that God has built and the ones he has gifted man the knowledge to build. I look forward to the ride(s) that I will take where I will look to my left or right and see a mountain or beautiful land that seems to extend beyond my eye sight. I look forward to traveling over a bridge and see water for miles and miles. I imagine that with the right soundtrack playing in my ear it would be even more awesome. So if it is in your budget, get the one you want and make new memories with family, friends, and even with just you and your spyder. Life(each day) is a blessing.

MikeinGA
11-25-2012, 12:29 PM
My wife and I always like to ride motorcycles. Now that we are retired we like the ride and the handling of our 2011 RS-S SE5. We made a sport/touring out of it and it easy to ride long distances with. We ride the Spyder more we did our motorcycles.

Mike

Bob Denman
11-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Mike,
What did you do or add to it in order to transform it into a Sport-Tourer?

DrewNJ
11-29-2012, 12:00 AM
I am 6'0" at about 265lbs. and have owned and ridden everything from a Harley to a GSXR. I currently ride a 2012 RS Spyder. I would put the riding position of the RS similar to a VFR or an ST1300. Not cruiser and not total sport bike either.

I have ridden a friends RS with 4" risers and originally had a 1" riser on mine (dealer added prior to pickup) and never felt comfortable when riding more aggressively. My arms felt like they were crunched in my ribs when riding hard in the turns. I am probably one of the very few who likes the RS seating/steering geometry in stock form, even more when riding harder. My butt does start to ache a bit on my tail bone toward the end of a full days riding but nothing major. A nicer seat would probably eliminate that.

Doug

Bob Denman
11-29-2012, 07:52 AM
And here we are with a new site sponsor, who's got you covered... :thumbup:

Derek Paisley
11-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Like the 3 bears searching for either a bed or a perfect cup of oatmeal.

The RT is too BIG and less nimble then the RSS
The 2013 ST diviates from the low/meaner look of the 2012 RSS and I am not a fan of the ST styling overall.

The RSS 2012 model fit's me Perfectly!

D
Toronto

Silvervette05
12-12-2012, 12:34 PM
I am purchasing my first Spyder early next year and have always wanted an RSS, however with the addition of the ST models to the lineup, it makes me question which would be better suited for me. It seems as though many spyder owners start on the RS but eventually move up to an RT, or modify their RS to be more comfortable for longer rides.

I have been riding motorcycles for 15 years, over that time I have owned 7 different bikes, most sport bikes. As I get older, that seating position is getting uncomfortable for more than an hour or two ride. I am a weekend rider, I never ride to work.

I like the looks of the RS the most, but the new ST is growing on me.

Please give me your thoughts on your experience with the RS/GS, and the riding position for your height.

I am 5'7".

I have an 08, I put a raiser on the handle bar and it helps, I'am 5'9" I like my spyder becuase it's agreat ride smooth

Ga Blue Knight
12-12-2012, 02:19 PM
I love my 2009 RS SE5 because I got $14,000 for it and bought a 2012 RT-S!!!!!!

Actually it wasa great bike, gave me no trouble at all and took me all over the country. y wife just did not like riding on the back even with th backrest.

MikeinGA
12-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Mike,
What did you do or add to it in order to transform it into a Sport-Tourer?

Ok, here the list:

BRP sports/touring 14" windshield for warm weather and a 23" windshield for winter, BRP backrest, BRP sattelbags, BRP passenger foot peg extensions, travel cover, BRP handel bar riser block, dear whistels, 12 volt power outlet, cramp-buster, GPS, and a large round T-Bag.

Mike

joet82
12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm 6'4 and have kept the Handlebars and footpegs and seat all stock on my 09 RS. I'm eventually going to get the money for a new seat as the current one has 46K on it. but I have done one Ironbutt ride on my Spyder, 1000 miles in 24 hours, and only issue i had was butt soreness just from sitting and maybe once or twice I needed to stretch my back, but that was just from not moving. My personal preferance is the RS because of the forward ryding position. it prevents me from slouching like I know I would with the more upright position of the RT & ST.

asp125
12-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Ok, here the list:

BRP sports/touring 14" windshield for warm weather and a 23" windshield for winter, BRP backrest, BRP sattelbags, BRP passenger foot peg extensions, travel cover, BRP handel bar riser block, dear whistels, 12 volt power outlet, cramp-buster, GPS, and a large round T-Bag.

Mike

Similarly:

BRP 14" windshield for warm weather and a 25" ultra touring windshield for winter, BRP comfort seat, BRP 1" riser block, 12V powerlet, Givi V35 sidecases, Givi V46 topcase, BRP tank bag.

mcaccamise
12-29-2012, 08:26 PM
My 2012 RSS fits me perfectly 5'8" no riser or peg relocation i tried the floorboards and riser block sitting in a more upright position which ended up giving me a back ach,The riding position kept the same is more comfortable an gives me more control in spirited riding i would change nothing.
The ST may be the perfect fit for some but for me my RSS with some tuning and a few mods is the ultimate Spyder for long or short rides.
I love my :spyder2: an would not trade up.
Mike

master1309
12-29-2012, 08:38 PM
I have had my spyder since June 2011, and like don't like the riding position. I have recently added REVCO Floorboards a GIVI windshield, and RLS exhaust. Now she rides super. Happy riding.:yes:

bone crusher
01-01-2013, 10:41 PM
I'd rather add the options myself as many of the stock options do not appeal to me. I have a 2008 GS and it's likely just like the ST with even more changes...I got to evaluate and pick what I wanted...I like it this way...you bike evolves...

I think with cars, it's a little different....with bikes, part of the fun is the mods. and always changing around what you have for more performance, fun, handling, etc...

The RS can become a ST and more and you might want to put the extra money outside of BRP products...

Just me two cents...

Jharpo
01-19-2013, 10:03 PM
40??? :shocked:
Oh, to be 40 again! :roflblack:

ME TOO!

mcaccamise
01-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Buy the spyder of your dreams whichever one you choose feel the wind in your hair and enjoy the ride.

Spy+
01-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Buy the spyder of your dreams whichever one you choose feel the wind in your hair and enjoy the ride.
What he said:thumbup: