PDA

View Full Version : Custom Seat Skin

jeuchler
02-22-2008, 05:04 PM
I saw the "custom seat skin with color-matched stitching and embossed Y logo" on the floor model at the dealer last week, and it looked, well--more rugged than the stock seat skin.

When I test drove on the stock seat, I found it plenty comfortable, but it had tiny scratches (maybe from previous riders' keys or buckles or whatever) and it seemed a bit...thin.

Has anyone installed this accessory?

TrailerTrash
02-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I thought the original looked kinda cheesy. The custom one is definitely better looking and has a better feel IMHO. It was really simple to install. I agree that the original with the smooth finish will probably be more susceptible to scratches, etc.

jeuchler
02-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I thought the original looked kinda cheesy. The custom one is definitely better looking and has a better feel IMHO. It was really simple to install. I agree that the original with the smooth finish will probably be more susceptible to scratches, etc.

I appreciate the feedback.

Would you agree it's an "under and hour" install?

jodeg1945
02-14-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm thinking of getting the custom seat skin -- not too crazy about the look of the stock seat.

To those of you who have purchased the seat skin, how well do you like it? Does it fit well?

Thanks.

tjfischer
02-14-2009, 03:41 PM
IMO if you are going to get a custom seat skin, you might as well spend the extra money and get a custom seat. Once you get the custom seat, you not only improve the looks of the bike, you also improve the comfort level of riding.

jodeg1945
02-14-2009, 04:07 PM
You're probably right. What do you think of the Corbin seat? It seems most people on this forum who have one, really like it. A LOT more $$$ though!

Greg H.
02-14-2009, 04:15 PM
The Corbin seat is, what; $800? The BRP custom cover is under $200. I'm gonna opt for the BRP cover, personally. I'm comfy on the stock seat; as is the Wife. The BRP custom cover will just add a nice touch, look better, and add a bit of cushion, I suspect.

jodeg1945
02-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Greg H. - That's what I thought too. I'm not uncomfortable on the stock seat, I just don't like the look of it. It looks like it'll cost approx. $548 for the driver and passenger Corbin seats.

I'm very confused! :banghead:

Greg H.
02-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Greg H. - That's what I thought too. I'm not uncomfortable on the stock seat, I just don't like the look of it. It looks like it'll cost approx. $548 for the driver and passenger Corbin seats.

I'm very confused! :banghead:

Well, Jo Anne; that's not a really bad price on the Corbin - less than I thought. Oh! Maybe with the backrests, it's $800. I don't remember.

I had my stock seat replaced under warranty awhile back because there was a wear spot at the back corner that I noticed upon delivery. Funny thing is, the replacement isn't much better! Ha! It has a few spots, like scratches that the original didn't have. But, I'm living with it. I'll buy the BRP cover eventually; hopefully in the next few months. :)

Regarding the Corbin seat; everyone that owns them, loves them. But, there are a bunch of us that are quite happy with the comfort of the stock seat. You might have to sleep on it. :thumbup:

tjfischer
02-14-2009, 04:49 PM
The custom seat skins look much better than the stock. I still perfer a custom seat. Expecially for those long rides. When I had my stock seat, I found that after 200+ miles, my back side and leggs would go numb.

I have seen the corbin seats. They look better than the stock as well. But again, thats $800.00.

I got a Bill Myers Saddle ($650.00) about 6 months before the Corbins came out. I have logged approx 18,000 miles on the bill myers saddle, with No complaints http://billmayersaddles.com/october25homepage.html

You should get whatever you are most comfortable with.

tatt2r
02-14-2009, 05:41 PM
corbin w/t heat:yes::yes::yes::coffee:

babyanlee
02-14-2009, 05:49 PM
The Corbin seat is, what; $800? The BRP custom cover is under $200. I'm gonna opt for the BRP cover, personally. I'm comfy on the stock seat; as is the Wife. The BRP custom cover will just add a nice touch, look better, and add a bit of cushion, I suspect.
Corbin worth the money . Rode a 2009:spyder2: with seat skin 2 up. It was hard on the arse:banghead:. I couldn't wait to get back on our Corbin seats.:yes::yes::yes:

Greg H.
02-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Corbin worth the money . Rode a 2009:spyder2: with seat skin 2 up. It was hard on the arse:banghead:. I couldn't wait to get back on our Corbin seats.:yes::yes::yes:

Last Saturday, I fueled up in Camden, TN, and rode all the way home (117 miles) without getting off the Spyder once. I then rode 272 miles the following day. That was a total of over 520 miles for the weekend. Monday, I felt just fine.

Guess it just depends on yur arse. :)

I suppose if I were to do the same riding with a Corbin under me, it might even be better. But,,,, no compaints so far. 6,700 miles. :)

steven888
02-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Have a guy who will remove the stock cover and foam. He will put new memory foam and gel then recover the seat with the BRP custom skin. This will also lower the seat a litte so I will sit into the seat rather than on the seat so high up.

Jeff in Dallas
02-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I just put the seat skin on today. It was a simple install and it maybe took 25 minutes. I like the look of it and it is more comfortable than stock.

Personally, I don't feel any need to get a custom seat.

LDFIREWORKS
02-14-2009, 09:48 PM
CORBIN IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO...................:thumbup::thumbup::2thumbs:

M2Wild
02-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I just bought the Luimoto seat cover. Material looks nice. Sorta look like the custom covers I get from Hydro Turf for my jet skiies. Will be putting it on next month before riding weather.

http://www.luimoto.com/images/can2.jpg
http://www.luimoto.com/images/cspyder-1.jpg

Greg H.
02-15-2009, 09:04 AM
I just bought the Luimoto seat cover. Material looks nice. Sorta look like the custom covers I get from Hydro Turf for my jet skiies. Will be putting it on next month before riding weather.

http://www.luimoto.com/images/can2.jpg
http://www.luimoto.com/images/cspyder-1.jpg

Say! That looks really nice! :thumbup: