PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Texas Spyder riders: Heated or No heated grips

Osros
11-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Putting together my order for first Spyder and not sure about heated grips or not. We know here in Texas our winter can be short and or mild, cold mornings mild days. I don't plan on a lot of long winter trips but need some input if you guys recommend it or no big deal not to have just some opinions.

Thanks

Flight Risk
11-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Putting together my order for first Spyder and not sure about heated grips or not. We know here in Texas our winter can be short and or mild, cold mornings mild days. I don't plan on a lot of long winter trips but need some input if you guys recommend it or no big deal not to have just some opinions.

Thanks

Osros........if you can afford the heated grips, go for it. I'm in Dallas and the heated grips have come in handy on many occasion!

Best of luck!

paulbrinker
11-14-2012, 07:50 PM
I think you will be glad you had them if your trips take you outside of Texas and the weather doesn't cooperate.

Lamonster
11-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Not in Texas but even if I lived back in San Diego still I would get the heated grips.
nojoke

Schnauzer
11-14-2012, 09:07 PM
We live north of Houston, I'm not a big fan of all the whistle's and bells," It's about the Solitude & Freedom, but will admit yesturday morning riding in 40* weather it was comfortable. What's nice is if you don't need them, you don't turn them off.. It's better to be prepaired than to be sorry.. "GET THE GRIPS":roflblack:

AlamoRyder
11-14-2012, 11:12 PM
One thing I learned quick...don’t be cheap on the front end because you will pay double on the back end. I bought a RT- A/C SE5 package on my first purchase (should have done more research of differences of models and competitive pricing from several dealers) and spent more money to do the upgrades after buying product and paying for install. On my wife’s bike (3 months later)we bought the the RTS-SE5 and paid almost $3,000 less than my A/C!! The RTS is the best deal on the best features (one’s you need to fully enjoy the bike. Buy the damn heated grips!! I live in south central Texas and used them today. Nice feature. If you are going to go swimming, get all wet!

bikeguy
11-15-2012, 12:36 AM
I have a 2010 RT, the base model, cheapest Spyder RT available at the time and it came standard with heated rider grips. The only option I got with it was heated passenger grips although my wife was saying that she didn't need them. I got them anyway and if I tried to take them off now, she'd kill me. I love heated grips and now my wife does also. I live about halfway between Abilene and San Angelo so we get some cold weather but not terribly cold. I've ridden the RT down to 22 degrees. I wear summer gloves all year long with heated grips. Sometimes I may only have the grips turned on for half an hour or so until the weather warms up but even if you only use them occasionally they are well worth the money.

Cotton

revjvegas
11-15-2012, 07:04 AM
My BMW does not have heated grips.
My Spyder does.
Let me tell you, it is amazing what a difference it makes having your hands warm and toasty.

Last time I used them was when I got caught going through a gully washer of a rain storm which included some marble sized hail...I was sure glad I had them.

Get the heated grips.

BLUE MULE
11-15-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm in agreement with everyone else - get the heated grips. They make cool weather riding more tolerable. I've got foam grip covers on my Spyder and I still get good heat through the foam. I even turn them on during warmer weather sometimes. The heat helps with hand cramping during long rides and it's especially nice to have if you've got any arthritis in your hands or fingers. Spend the money upfront - you'll be glad you did.

Air Force PAO
11-15-2012, 07:18 AM
It is 48 degrees this morning. I leave for work in 3 minutes. I WILL USE THE HEATED GRIPS.

Safe Ryding.

flamingobabe
11-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Get the heated grips

bullant12
11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
:agree: With all statements... after all, it is not a question of when you are around home but when (and where) you travel.

MRH
11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
I rarely use mine, but I don't like the heated seats in my car, either, and lean towards keeping everything on the colder side. So, if by chance you're like me, I might not bother if the money makes a difference in your life, but it really looks like most people here appreciate them, and they certainly don't get in the way if you do have them (and I'll still occasionally turn them on for short periods of time).

yamahog
11-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Love my heated grips, never thought i would use them but i use them every day now, most times i don't even need gloves, get them you will love them. :yes::yes:

budsspuds
11-15-2012, 05:43 PM
get the grips

shelbydave
11-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Get the heated grips. I'm not a glove wearer (full fingered). I can't stand not being able to feel the controls, so half fingered gloves, and heated grips work out pretty well so far in North Carolina. Of course, we've only had to use them a couple times so far, but they sure are nice!

Carold571
11-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Get the heated grips, you will love them:yes::yes::yes:

ornerydog7
11-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Get them, better to have them and need them then to need them and not have them!!!!

conroe spyders
11-16-2012, 12:35 PM
We have them on our bike & use them often. Yes we are in Texas but it still gets cold & they come in handy. I am the passenger & love them having back heated hand grips too!

Osros
11-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks All! Yeah I agree I most likely be sorry later if I didnt. Added to the List!

Customcowboy
11-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Maybe I am a whimp..... But I love mine and it hasn't really been that cold!