PDA

View Full Version : Are performance mods a good idea ????????

arntufun
11-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Anybody who knows anything about an engine will say no judging by these pics........ These are Baja Iridium plugs (nothing wrong with the plugs, these are great plugs) I just installed 6k miles ago and this is what they look like now. This is just an 02 mod attached, so any juice box might look similar or worse. Please check your ride frequently because these are running way to rich for my taste. I wish the pics were better, but trust me it's way to much fuel.

Lamonster
11-14-2012, 04:36 PM
It's not the mods, it the tune. I had every mod you could get and my plugs were a nice tan color. I was running a JB with my mods.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18805&d=1250205365

arntufun
11-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Sorry, I failed to mention I have the HMF pipe and a EVO air filter. I'm confused on what you mean by tune ?????????? How do I correct it ???????

Lamonster
11-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I had the green filter on that pic and I don't remember the pipe but I had a juice box so I could adjust my fuel.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16209&d=1243378772

arntufun
11-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks Lamont, I will try those settings. I hope you will agree my plugs are running way to rich and I'm sure they won't last long the way they are running now.

I'm going to take the 02 mod off and just try the juice box at your settings with new plugs. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-14-2012, 05:48 PM
:lecturef_smilie:Lean it up a bit! You're wasting fuel! :gaah: :roflblack:

Lamonster
11-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks Lamont, I will try those settings. I hope you will agree my plugs are running way to rich and I'm sure they won't last long the way they are running now.

I'm going to take the 02 mod off and just try the juice box at your settings with new plugs. :thumbup:

I ran with and without the O2 mod and it ran a little better without.

BajaRon
11-17-2012, 10:04 AM
From everything I've been able to find on the EVO 02 mod it always ran way too rich. Several people have asked me to bring this mod back (very inexpensive approach to the lean issue when adding free flowing exhaust and air filter). I could sell a bunch of theser but I have decided it's a poor substitue for what you really need. Which is a Juice Box or Power Commander fuel management system. It's about more than just selling product and making a profit. Too much of that going around these days as it is.

Like Lamont said, it's not the mods, it's the tune. Fix the tune (fuel to air ratio) and you'll save fuel, increase HP, improve throttle response and have a much better ride all the way around.

Campverdefela
11-17-2012, 11:00 AM
From everything I've been able to find on the EVO 02 mod it always ran way too rich. Several people have asked me to bring this mod back (very inexpensive approach to the lean issue when adding free flowing exhaust and air filter). I could sell a bunch of theser but I have decided it's a poor substitue for what you really need. Which is a Juice Box or Power Commander fuel management system. It's about more than just selling product and making a profit. Too much of that going around these days as it is.

Like Lamont said, it's not the mods, it's the tune. Fix the tune (fuel to air ratio) and you'll save fuel, increase HP, improve throttle response and have a much better ride all the way around.

I have all of the mods listed including the 02 mod. and have never had a problem, maybe it's in the JB fine tuning. I keep the 02mod. in place because for my machine it prevents popping on deceleration. My plugs have always been nice and tan on inspection, not overly white, nor black. I have seen reports on here over the years with owners having success with the 02 mod. depending on what other mods they added. I think the 02 modifier was a helpful tool for a number of us and I believe a number of us would like to see its return on the market.

BajaRon
11-17-2012, 11:21 AM
I have all of the mods listed including the 02 mod. and have never had a problem, maybe it's in the JB fine tuning. I keep the 02mod. in place because for my machine it prevents popping on deceleration. My plugs have always been nice and tan on inspection, not overly white, nor black. I have seen reports on here over the years with owners having success with the 02 mod. depending on what other mods they added. I think the 02 modifier was a helpful tool for a number of us and I believe a number of us would like to see its return on the market.

I think most people use the O2 mod as a stand alone fuel management device (and I think it was marketed that was as well). I had not thought of using it in conjunction with other fuel modifiers. Sounds like you've had good luck with it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Randy , no wonder you were only getting 22 MPG !!!!!!! :yikes: :gaah: :agree:.....Mike....................Good Luck :thumbup:

arntufun
11-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Randy , no wonder you were only getting 22 MPG !!!!!!! :yikes: :gaah: :agree:.....Mike....................Good Luck :thumbup:

That would explain it. :thumbup: I'm going to pull the plugs after I get some miles under Lamonts suggestion (02 mod off, his juice box setting) and see how they look. :popcorn:

Bob Denman
11-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Well by saving money on fuel; now maybe you can buy Holly her RT! :thumbup: :roflblack: