PDA

View Full Version : Spyder audio system question

Osros
11-13-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm putting together the Spyder I want and not sure on the audio system option you can buy factory. I can't find any specifics on it and wondering if its even worth it. Can someone with the audio system shed some light on it and its features? For $950 with Bluetooth not sure if worth it.

Is it basic am/fm only, no frills?
I think I heard of iPod/iPhone integration was possible?
Any other features? USB? Input jack?

I was thinking of just using my iPhone and a Bluetooth helmet but never tried it either so don't know. if you folks recommend the factory audio system and why to help me decide.

Thanks

EzeSpyderGA
11-13-2012, 09:31 PM
I have a 2011 RT-S with the Audio Package and I also added the CB/Intercom along with the Entertainment Harness. We have the Can-Am intercoms which is the hard wired system. We are pleased with the system. This gives us AM/FM/CB/Intercom in this set-up. We do not have bluetooth set up, I guess were are not technical enough to set it up. Hope this helps you.

NancysToy
11-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Basic audio is AM/FM, weather band, and auxiliary. Aux can be either partially integrated iPod or an alternate 3.5 mm compaitible source. The 3.5 mm cable is optional with some trim levels. CB/Comm System, GPS integration, or XM radio are additional options, which may also require additional cables.

szohar
11-13-2012, 11:26 PM
I am using the Bluetooth earphone, but the bass on those earphone is not as good so I am continuing to use the sounds system that came with the LMT, the sound is surprisingly well.

Robby
11-14-2012, 02:43 AM
Have fitted to 11RTLTD SE5 the whole genuine system including headsets for the helmet. System is lousy. There is a major issue with the shift solenoids providing interference, the CB range is crap, blind freddy knows that UHF is far superior and now have a possible entertainment harness gone bad. Very expensive for low performance. BRP are aware of the electrical gremlin however are not fixing the problem. This is not just mine, it is every RT SE5. Would not recommend purchase unless the salesman points out the issues prior to selling it to you. Then its your choice. Best of luck sorting.

Robby

captblack
11-14-2012, 05:55 AM
I have a 2011 RT-S with the basic audio package. The bike came with an adapter cable that plugs into the rear trunk that allows the use of an iPhone or an iPod. I use an iPod Nano - version 6, I believe. I do not need intercom, GPS interface or phone options.

Normally, I just use the speakers. Even without rear speakers the sound is pretty good. I'm not out to let the entire neighborhood listen to radio so it's not like a boom box on wheels. Last winter, I wanted to have a Bluetooth speakers in my three quarter helmet. I got a small Bluetooth transmitter with a stereo jack that would plug into my iPod and then used a Sena SM – 5 system for the helmet. This served my need at the time which was to have my music in the helmet. I also use a portable Sirius receiver. I bought another BRP adapter that just has a stereo jack so that gives me volume control. I cannot however change the channels.

I got away from the set up because I use a half helmet most of the time. Now, the speaker seemed to be just fine. Here is another option that I started looking at but never followed through on but which might give some other options. www.aerostich.com/bluetooth-on-a-budget.html

The bottom line, is that you need to decide what you want or need. Personally, I don't know if the CB is worth the money and personally, I don't think the integrated GPS is worth the money either but that is just me.

When you look into it, there are a number of aftermarket options, depending on how fancy you want to be. Good luck in your search.

Bob Denman
11-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Well I've got the A&C with the rear speakers from the S & Limiteds...
Mine pretty much IS used like a boombox on wheels http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_52.gif I'd like to upgrade the speakers someday; for now they do the job.
Bluetooth headsets (Scalarider) for intercom fundtionality, and no CB...
I've been pretty happy with the system, and having control over the system with the left-hand switch pod makes it pretty easy to use.

MtlBen
11-14-2012, 01:05 PM
I have the RT with AC, which comes with the basic radio (AM/FM/Weather/Aux), front speakers only and the iPod cable.

My iPod (nano gen 5) is well controlled from the radio. The speakers are OK, but with my modular helmet (Nolan N104), any sound coming from the speakers gets muffled into something you can't quite make out unless you blast the speakers and risk shattering windows around you.

My winter/spring project is to buy a bluetooth helmet intercom, use the pre-wired rear speakers and feed them into a Chatterbox BTD or a SEMA SM10 (via an Autocom interface module) to give me a bluetooth interface from the radio.

This way, I would be able to pair my helmet intercom to both the BRP radio and my add-on GPS. By changing the rear-front audio balance, I will be able to switch the sound between bluetooth, front speakers or both.

At least, this is the plan. We'll see how thing work out.

...Ben...

Desert Spyder
11-14-2012, 02:46 PM
I have the 2010 RT/AC which has that silly shaped cable in the rear trunk. If I'm in town I play a local FM on the front speakers. If on the superslab I use the BT on my iPhone mounted to my handlebars paired to my helmet. Its very hard to switch the playlists if connected in the trunk so I just use the shuffle feature on my song library.